Skip navigation

Would it be an absolute crime to swap a TFSI into a 78 S1 GTi??

Back to the top
Hello Everyone-

I haven't been on here in a while, but as time goes on I hope to make it further with my 78 GTI restoration this year..

I have been very particular when gathering parts for this car as I want it to be as "correct" as possible. The birth certificate from Wolfsburg confirms that the 1.6 EG engine and GE gearbox originally came with the car. My initial plans were to carefully rebuild the engine and gearbox and enjoy! I do have lots of experience with engine conversions though and often consider installing a TFSI engine and leaving the appearance largely original…

The purist in me says to leave the car original and correct, but I cant stop thinking about how fun the TFSI would be.

This is the car as it sits-

My goal-

I value your honest opinions-

Cheers,
Chris

Back to the top
Keep it original..... :thumbs:

"Mk1 Golf Gti...all things to all men"

Back to the top
If you've got the original engine I'd refit that.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
stick the tfsi in that s2 behind lol, keep it original, thats what im doing with my 80'gti, removing the 16v and putting in  1.6 again

Back to the top
 :shake: After all your hard work if you were to not keep the car completely original, you are clearly totally insane.  :shake:

Not only that but forgetting all the time and expense you've invested in the new engine, you will devalue the car by anything up to to 50%.
Definitely not the smartest move I'd say!  :banghead:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Now I am all for originality, but take for example the Jaguar E-Type.   Beautiful to look at but I woyld never want one, drove a fully restored V12 once and it felt like an absolute Dinosoar.

What I would love to have us one of the Vicarage recreations. Leave all the looks untouched, but update the mechanicals sympathetically.

Now the Golf drives pretty well compared to modern cars, but would you realistically want one as an everyday car over a MK7?

I think keeping the car absolutely original looking down to the alloys you have or even the steel wheels but having the TFSI engine and even PAS, ABS if it was possible would create a really nice car, especially if you didn't go mad with extracting mega BHP.  What you have done so far looks amazing, your decision but just my alternative opinion.  basically if VW built a MK7 with a MK1 body……

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Thanks for the input guys.

My thoughts are that the TFSI (even if carried out very professionally) would devalue the car quite a bit..??? What is your opinion here?

It is a tough decision. I haven't sourced a TFSI yet, but If I do all of the labor, there is not much difference in cost of rebuilding/ restoring (to a high standard) the original 1.6 and 4-speed gearbox and purchasing a TFSI and 02J gearbox.. Of course there is some fab work etc to do..

I sold the S2 in the background last year only to make way for this car. I absolutely loved that car- it was a 1.8t-

Cheers,
Chris

Back to the top
Sort of acceptable to re-engine a common-or-garden early 80s S2 but a '78 series 1 GTI?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Definitely keep it original in my opinion. You've gone so far in doing that it would seem mad for many reasons to now drop a TFSI in.

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks for the input.

The replies make me want to lean towards my original idea- to restore the original engine and gearbox and let it be.

I have gone as far as to source a new OEM exhaust from VW classic, so I guess I should use it. I have also never driven a GTi with a 4-speed, so this should be interesting… Maybe I should do a thread showing the buid up of the car when it comes together-

I am located in the US and sourcing the correct parts for the car has been a bit difficult. I will get a majority of my interior bits from Newton, but I would like to use the original door panels (front and rear) if I can find a nice set. I really like the original style rear panels with arm rest and I don't believe these are made in reproduction.

Can anyone help here??

Chris

Back to the top
Don't forget to give Mark a shout on parts too funk-star  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.