Skip navigation

Reviving a Golf mk1 GTI

Back to the top
Me and my friend are starting a new project to revive a beautiful little golf.
The car was rescued from a countryside barn in 2010 with the intention of transforming it into a historic rally car but sadly this project was never realised and it spent the last 5 years standing in the backyard. These are the only things that we know about the car and the fact that it doesn't have it's original engine.
We are no skilled mechanics just two guys with a passion about cars,some basic skills and a lot of determination .So if you could help us identify the engine and give us some tips on bringing it back to life it would be greatly apprecieted.
As the project goes on we will post regular updates on the progress that we make.

C:\fakepath20120825_172932.jpg
Engine:
Attachment
118 views (3 Mb)

Last edit: by Don_Monteverdi

Back to the top
Hi

The car looks in Good condition. Post some more pictures so people can have a good look  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Hello and welcome, you have come to the right place for help and advice.
Your picture of the engine is a little small to tell what it is, if you upload your picture to photobucket.com or simular website the copy and paste in the IMG code we will see a bigger and better quality picture.

There should be an engine code on the engine block just below No 3 spark plug, just post up the first 2 letters and we should be able to tell what engine it is. From what I can see from the picture it's a Carb car so not a GTi head, 1.6cc?  With the coolant expansion tank fixed at a funny angle.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Welcome to the Club first of all. 

As others have said, lots of pictures and as much information as possible. 

Don't forget to photograph the car from all angles, underfloor, inside as well. :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
 And so begun our journey,on our first day we  removed all the spare parts and scrap from the booth and the rear seats and we made the car moveable by taking off the tyres taking them to our local service station and inflated them sadly one of them was unsavable and we had to use a spare tyre.

I also took photos of everything i could find in the engine bay.

Back to the top
So your steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car so it's not a UK car then?
There is a flat bit of engine block below spark plug 3 you may need to move the rather green HT leads out of the way and clean the block a little to get the engine code as that's the only way to find out what engine block is fitted.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Looks like an EZ engine which was fitted to audi 80 cl models i think it also came in a few mk2 golfs too. I would ditch that engine as there can be quite troublesome and not up to much. 

Back to the top
Ex engine, 1.6cc fitted to Golf, Jetta and Passat from 1988 to 1991.
Was you car a GTi? Does it have an electric fuel pump under the car near the fuel tank? Depending on what type of fuel tank you have fitted (Carb or Injection) will make a differance to what engine and fuel intake you can fit.
Of course any thing can be fitted with work and money.

Back to the top
looks like an early 1.5 to me.

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.