Skip navigation

Mars red GTI found in a shed.

Back to the top

Mk1 project

So this is my mk1 golf I found this in a big shed..
I was helping do some gardening and needed some power so I whent in to the shed and at the back I could see a wheel.. I could make out it was a mk1 wheel so I asked if I could have a look and took loads of covers of and there she was!! In very very good condition.. So I asked about the history 3 owners from new 110000miles 1.6 8v gti not used for 10! Years and been used pence a week before that for 8 years! So in 18 years hardly used… Then I was asked would I like to buy it? Yes please and a price was set.. I have put some pictures of when I first pull her out of the shed.. O and I had to cut a tree down to get her out! 
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag145/charlie_england1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps8fkr6gtz.jpg

Back to the top
Ok so after getting her home I gave her a well deserved clean! C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Back to the top
great find mate,looks pretty tidy as well!youve got to love a barn find!

Back to the top
What a beaut!!

Omar!

Back to the top
Sorry for the quick updates as I have been meaning to do this for the last couple of weeks…

Looking at the costs of stripping and rebuilding the engine etc was going to cost a bit so I thought/new I wanted to do an engine swap after a loot of going back and forward I deci for a g60 I do not want more than 200bhp and I love the sound and power delivery of a g60 so I found a corado g60. C:\fakepath\image.jpg

So the work to be carried out/done
Fully boshed 
Coilovers 
Bosh injectors 
Rear disk conversion 
G60 brakes 
Hydraulic cluch conversion

I'm using some cheap alloys for the min so I can fit the brakes on the back…
Just so you know I'm not doing the work but I'm trying to stay as involved as possible…  C:\fakepath\image.jpg
C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Back to the top
i will keep you updated I hope to be out and about using her by the end of March… Last few pictures I have. C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Back to the top
Great find.... :thumbs:

"Mk1 Golf Gti...all things to all men"

Back to the top
Each to their own but think I'd have left as is, minty originals making big £ and no effort involved.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Wow what a find!

The shell looks very strong, is there much rust on it?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I was tempted to leave it as standard but that's not what I wanted in the end going to run the engine in for 6 months then going to go a gulf blue… But I have changed my mind on the colour every week lol.. No rust as it was always kept under cover in a warm shed.. 

Back to the top
It's your car Charlie to do as you wish with, personally I think it would be a shame to 'erase' such an original example, but it's yours and you have to enjoy it  :thumbs:

It looks that original you could probably peddle it on for good money and have good change to buy a shell and build your desires from the ground-up

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Nice example - you must be bonkers to modify it though!

Banner

Back to the top
Great find,looks really clean!

I think I'd have got it roadworthy and sold it for a profit!

Then bought a shitter to put the g60 in with the profit!

Good luck with the engine conversion! 

Back to the top
Nice find, feel a bit sad that you discovered it though!  :(

G60's debatable but could be good, but a colour change to Gulf Blue?! you must be having a laugh!  :lol:  

Back to the top
Looked better when it was in a field !

1979 mk1 Golf Gti (Dan)
1983 mk1 Golf gti G60 (little-un)

1991 mk2 Golf Country Chrome Edition
2010 T5 Karmann Colorado

2012 mk6 Golf Tdi convertible
2019 Skoda Octavia Sport ( it’s Golf)

Back to the top
Nice find, good luck spending money to devalue it.. 

Back to the top
That's a great find, and looks to be in excellent condition  :thumbs:

Good luck with your project.

Matt

Back to the top
Hard to believe that folk are still willing to tamper with nice original examples.

Still, makes the original ones rarer and even more valuable.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Ok thanks for all the replies at least you all speak your mind lol.. One of the things I had an idea was to get it back to its original condition but looking like new! something like this: C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Back to the top
That last picture is one of my favourite pictures. You can then keep it as original as possible, add the wheels and suspension, then be able to return it back to completely original in the future when you get to be an old duffer like me. If the paint is original - not many are - then keep it as it is, just spend time not money on getting it back to best.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.