Skip navigation

The 'simple engine swap' out of control project (pic heavy)

Back to the top

The 'simple engine swap' out of control project (pic heavy)

looking good dude!! :)

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top
Thank you all :)

Picked up and fitted a brand new screen today!

Also did well on a trip to the local breakers on saturday in the form of a ce2 fusebox and a replacement brake servo and master cylinder.

Will add a photo update in the next couple of days :)

Rich

Back to the top
So, here's the new front screen with the rubber seal fitted

Untitled by myfirstmk1, on Flickr

And here, fitted to the car. couldn't believe how easy it was! Would happily fit another!

On the left is the new servo and master cylinder I picked up, partly chosen for having two outlets below and two facing right, thought this would help with the common clearance issue on the 16v distributor cap

It's a 23mm MC, and handily the original reservoir cap fits

The best option would have probably been to cut the end off the new servo pushrod and thread it to take the original, but as 1) I don't have a tap and die set and 2) it's only about 9mm longer, I just spaced the servo that distance from the mounting bracket. probably would have been easier to go buy a T&D set though, as I then had to weld a washer either side of the pushrod and drill to the correct size to take the pin, which meant it now needed a longer pin so I had to make one from scratch using an old screwdriver! Sorry I forgot to take pics of this process, but heres some others..

It all fitted up nice and snug in the end anyway and the pedal feels really good with no play in the system at all.

My Other find I mentioned was a CE2 fusebox from a mk3 golf, cut off as much spare cable at the back as I could easily get hold of, without messing about removing more of the dashboard

Here I have started the task of cross referencing all the wires between the mk1 and mk3 systems, with the help of RubJonny's online documents (thanks John!)

This is my quite usefully - previously hacked up dash loom :( notice a whole bunch of identical yellow wires! Also, the grey/blue switch illumination feed wire is melted all the way from the headlight switch right back to the fusebox :(

That's about it for now, atleast the shell is watertight at last so theres no rush on anything, but I shall be focusing on getting all the interior electrics sorted while I save pennies for engine bits like clutch and head gasket etc before that goes in, then get the engine in and sort the engine bay wiring after that.

Thanks for looking

Rich

Back to the top
Looks good, i remember this stage with my white mk1, you say theres no rush but it became an addiction to want to fit new parts on the car everyday. lol

Back to the top
Hi rich
What under seal did you use?
Thanx lee

Back to the top

rosie81 said

Hi rich
What under seal did you use?
Thanx lee
3m schutz cans mate, such as these http://shop.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/searchresults?kw=3m+underseal&cmd=SREF&mfs=GOCLK&acimp=0&isNewKw=true

Was much better than the brush on stuff, and there was something strangely pleasing about spraying it?!

I used 2 cans on the front arches and the 4 interior floor sections, so probably 2 cans to do all 4 inner arches?

Rich

Back to the top
So, got a few little bits refitted on the car;

Carpets

Front wiper motor, mechanism and arms

I stripped down the mechanism, cleaned, re greased and rebuilt with the addition of a new mk2 motor.

Heater matrix/blower etc and cover

Radiator fitted, more so to make room in my bedroom than anything, did the GTI and topfill rad mod, with 2 slim fans, which I think I will move to the other side and wire to be pushers

I've made a start on the CE2 rewire, starting to get in the swing of things, currently only have 2 and a half of about 19 fusebox plugs wired up  :roll:

Lots of info!

It's a bit of a jungle in there at the mo  :redfaced:

Got distracted yesterday and made this back box for my brothers mk2

That's about it at the moment, will be back on the wiring tomorrow   :twisted:

Rich

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.