Skip navigation

What Exhaust?

Back to the top

Your recommendations please :-)

Well the standard exhaust on my 83 cabriolet is pretty near the end of it's life, I'm surprised it passed the MOT if I'm honest. Add to that it's badly fitted (by me) so it's miss-aligned and it hitting the rear beam a bit when you go over bumps, it's time has come.

So I'm looking at the possibility of a non-standard exhaust of some sort. I love the exhaust note from the MK1 even with the standard pipe is sounds great when you floor it, but I can't help thinking a nice aftermarket exhaust could enhance it a bit and also look a bit nicer at the back end than the standard pipe. I'm not a huge fan of modifying, so I don't want stupidly loud, I want a nice tuned exhaust note and possibly a slight performance increase from it, but I don't want it to sound like one of these sheds on wheels that has a habbit of driving past my house at 2:00am.

What do people recommend from their experience? Preferably under the £300 mark would be good, so full stainless systems are no-go for me financially.

Cheers,

Mike. 

1983 White cabriolet GTi

Back to the top

Old dubs never die, they just get lower

Back to the top
£300 isn't far off the price of a Longlife stainless system - custom made to fit,and you can choose the sound and the tailpipe finish. www.longlife.co.uk

1986 GTI Cabriolet ("dambuster")

2000 Mk4 Cabriolet Avantgarde (bought for the mrs)

2001 Zafira 1.8

Back to the top
Having fitted a Jetex exhaust to my '89 Gti cab, I wouldn't bother again, I'd go for a longlife. Their cab version of the exhaust fitment is the standard saloon back box with additional bolt on brackets supplied - not what I would've expected for the money. Also it's tricky to line up in order that it (a) doesn't look stupid and (b) doesn't rattle.

My tenpeneth!

Cheers, Lee

Back to the top
whatever you go for just make sure you double check the pipe size. I personally wouldn't go for anything over 2" as I think fitting would be difficult. As for the tail pipe size, mines 3" round and its bloody massive which does make it a bit boy-racer and a bit loud! With £300 you should be able to get a full stainless system.

Mines a jetex - custom made for TSR performance. Top of page four of my build thread if you want to check it out.   

http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&type=misc&id=your-mk1-golfs_2%2Fmy-1983-golf-mk1-gti&start=60

1983 VW Golf Mk1 Gti

2006 VW Caddy

My Build Thread 

Back to the top
When I had a Longlife fitted, the fitter said he had done loads of Mk1's in the past, and recommended a pipe size of 1 3/4 inches - 2 inches is too big for an unmodified 1.8 GTi engine. I have to admit, taking a peek underneath, it looks awesome compared to the grotty remains of an exhaust that was there before!

1986 GTI Cabriolet ("dambuster")

2000 Mk4 Cabriolet Avantgarde (bought for the mrs)

2001 Zafira 1.8
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.