Skip navigation

16v kr conversion wiring loom

Back to the top

16v kr conversion wiring loom

Morning, I need some advice on how to tackle the wiring loom on my conversion. If anybody has got any wiring diagrams, advice, links etc that would help I would greatly appreciate it. My car was origionally a 1983 1.3 carb model Driver. I have removed the origional wiring loom from the fuse box that went to the engine, but this only consists of a handful of wires, mainly connected to the old cylinder head sensors.
I havnt got a clue how to wire up the kr engine loom into the fuse box, or where to connect the new wires to as my car wasnt equiped with the systems origionally.

Alternatively, If somebody is competent at doing a quality job of making me a complete loom up from my existing loom, and kr loom I would consider it an option.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Kris

Back to the top
what fusebox do you have, the early glass fusebox or the later blade type?

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Ive got the later blade type fuse box.

I have a list of wires that are confusing me as to where they go, where to connect them to or what to do with them.

The kr ecu has a 3 way female connector coming from it, the colours of the 3 wires which go into it are black/yellow, red yellow and black/white.

On the distributer side of the cylinder head next to the water pipe outlet there are 3 male spade connectors and a brown plastic connector I am not sure what wires connect to them or what they are for.

From the origional wiring loom there are some wires that used to go to the 1.3 cylinder head, i'm not sure if I can connect these to the equivalent sensor on the kr head? or what exactly the sensor was they connescted to, they are, solid black, blue/black, yellow and yellow and red.

There is a single push on nipple looking connector on the rear of the kr head behind the distributer, i'm not sure what this sensor is or what wire connects to it.
And finally there is a male 2 pin connector on the kr airbox and another the same on the throttle body I need to wire in to somewhere but I'm not sure how to connect these into my cars fuse box, if thats where they connect to.

Its all one big learning curve for me and I really do appreciate your help  :D

Thanks
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Back to the top
sounds like you have a later 90spec or corrado kr loom? if so you'll need to do some splicing. 3 pin plug you have is live for ecu, live for tci and fuel pump relay earth trigger

no big deal pretty simple conversion to do. got a full wiring diagram here:
Google Sites: Sign-in

what you can do is strip both looms down then keep all the mk1 sensor wiring for dash temp, oil pressure etc and just swap the kr engine stuff over. you'll have to mess with the wire lengths in places though since the mk2/rado has the fusebox on the opposite side of the car.

if you really get stuck i can do the loom conversion for you :)

Back to the top
Thanks for helping!!
What would be your price? What would you need?

What do mean by swap the kr engine stuff over? Where do I connect up the lives for the ecu, tci and fuel pump etc…
I'm lost?
Do you know what colur wires from the origional loom are for what eg oil pressure etc.

Thanks

Back to the top
what i mean is strip the carby loom down and remove everything thats engine related, i.e. carby wires, coil etc. then with the kr loom down, remove everything that ISNT engine related, so temp sensors, pressure, wipers etc.

then you have a mk1 sensor/wiper loom, and a mk2 engine loom. combine the 2 using my wiring diagram above, all sorted!

the wiring you need to get it to run is very minimal, just the coil wires and everything from the ecu.  the extra complexity comes from the isv controller, but even that is easy since its pretty much self-contained, just a couple live and earth feeds to get it going.

last hurdle is the cold start parts, but again only 2 wires to the fusebox!

to make a mk1/2/3 based loom i charge £90, and to do it i need the old loom plus the donor loom

Back to the top
ok. Ive printed off the diagrams from the link that you kindly sent.
So, where do I find the live feed for eg for the 2 lives to the tci and ecu?

And say for another example the connector that connects to the kr throttle position where will that go?
Also the kr oil cooler has a spade connector on top of it and another one sat an ich behind, where would I connect these up to as my origional carbu loom didnt have these?

Also do you know anything about the 3 spade connectors and brown plastic connector I mentioned earlier that are on the dizzy side of the cylinder head???
Regards
Kris

Back to the top
the wiring diagrams tell you where all the power feeds come from on your fusebox, use that in conjunction with the fusebox sticky and you should be able to figure it out. the filter housing spades are the 2 il pressure switches, use the 1.3 pressure wire(s) hooked up to the same colour switches it/they were connected to.

the 3 on the side of the head are temp sensors for dash, ecu and isv control unit, you'll see all of these in the diagram :)

Back to the top
Thank you for getting back to me. I went to the garage last night and I stripped all the looms back and cut all the insulation off the looms and I made a start to connect wires where I could and I have a few leftovers and questions.

I know that you said its all on the diagrams but I'm struggling a little with them tbh, the 3 wires I mentioned that come from the tci/ecu bit.
There are 3 wires. one red/yellow, one Black/yellow and 1 black/white. Do you know where I connect these to?? As I have followed them back and the other ends connect into the old corrado connecter which plugged into the corrado fusebox, and I think one went into a relay? But i'm cluecless as to where to connect them to on my mk1 fuse box.

And also, the water oil cooler housing has One spade connector ontop of it and another 1 an inch behind it but I cant find which wires connect on to these? Any ideas buddy?

Thanks
Kris

Back to the top
black/white goes to the coil + side, labelled as N on the right diagram on page 1.

black/yellow goes to the idle switch and the isv control unit, this goes live when throttle is closed

red/yellow is the fuel pump relay earth trigger, goes to pin D/13

water/oil cooler housing are the oil pressure switches, on the 1.3 these are on the back of the head. depending on the age/spec of your car you may have only had 1 oil pressure switch, so only 1 wire to hook up.

you'll need to chop out the old MK1 coil + wire from D23, as this is a resistance wire for the old points ignition coil. you need to replace this with a normal chunky wire. it will be a bit tricky to do this, use a thin screwdriver to release the 2 locking pegs on the pin and remove it, cut all the wire off and solder your replacement wire on.

when i make these looms i have a pile of old fusebox plugs i can strip for parts, so i steal the needed wiring from these.

Back to the top
Why is there 2 oil pressure sensors on the kr oil cooler? Do you know what colour the wire is from my old loom for this? My origional engine code was GF, it was a 1983 bog standard 1300 driver.
When you say the red/ yellow wire goes to pin d/13, is that on my mk1 fusebox?

Also, I noticed that there is a blue plastic connector on the fuel rail on the kr. It has a black wire coming from it, the black wire has a female spade connector splitting in it and then carries on to another plastic connector I think plugs onto the Airbox. Any idea where the black wire should connect to? I appologise for all the questions, there is so much I need to know and it's becoming a bit of a guessing game.

Thanks again
kris

Back to the top
the mk2 has a low and high pressure switch for the oil warning circuit, the early mk1s just had 1. not sure what colour wire but it;'ll either be yellow or blue/black.

D/13 on your mk1 fusebox yes, there may be a purple/black wire here for the carby, if not you'll either have to use a k-jet pump relay or find a spare CE1 loom to strip for spare pins, with the small ones i just cut the plugs up with a sharp knife to get the pins out. the large ones are easy to remove using a thin watchmaker screwdriver.

the blue plug is for the 5th injector, and the black spade wire goes to the 2nd spade connector on the k-jet starter motor. the other wire goes off to the cold throttle enrichment valve. you can see this on the 1st picture in the kr wiring diagram, the 5th injector is labled N17, and the cold throttle enrichment is F93. starter motor is labled B :)

Back to the top

Wiring

I think it might be easier sending you my loom. I've had a look at it all again tonight and d13 is vacant on my original plug, I have a blu/blk oil pressure wire for 0.3 bar apparantly and a yellow oil pressure wire for 1.8 bar on my original loom plus a yellow/red coolant temp sensor and a black thermal switch wire for inlet manifold heater that I don't know what to do with?!

The black wire I have coming from the 5th injector( which I presume is officially called a cold start valve) via the starter motor I have going to something the diagram calls a vacuum timeswitch? I don't know if that where I connected it to but I plugged it onto somthing bolted to a bracket on the rear of the metering head that has a v small pipe coming into it at the other side.

Does all this sound normal so far?

Regards

Back to the top
yeah some carbys dont have a D/13, couple choices here either use a k-jet pump relay, find a spare CE1 loom to butcher and nick a pin out of it, or add a separate fuel pump relay above the fusebox. sensor wires are fine, just need to extend the oil pressure switches to reach the filter housing. temp sensor is one of the 3 in the side of the head, the 1.3 wire may reach here, if not just make it longer!

the vacuum switch is the metal thing behind the 16v airbox, the larger black plastic one is the over-run cutoff valve, this connects direct to the isv control unit and an ignition live feed.

thermal switch wire is probably jsut an ignition live feed, which if so will come in handy for soem of the things you need to power up for the 16v loom. you need an ign live to the idle switch, the overrun cutoff and the isv control unit

Back to the top
Thanks mate.

Where is the over run cut off valve, and isv control and the idle switch?
Also, I have a green/red single spade connector which close to the 3 connectors on the side of the cylinder head, is that where it connects? The other end connects into a relay that was part of the corrado loom as do some of the other wires.

Back to the top
over-run cutoff is the big plastic valve behind the airbox, isv control unit is behind the dash and the idle switch is on the throttle body.

green/red spade is temp sensor for the isv control unit, it goes to oneof the 3 sensors on the side of the head.  the relay you mentioned on the corrado loom is the isv control unit, you need this as well as the loom between it and the 2 white plugs behind the fusebox!

Back to the top
How do you know all this?!  :D

Back to the top
ive done it before, many times ;)

Back to the top
Is the idle switch the one that is connected to the throttle lever and it's pressed in when the throttle is closed and pops out when the throttle is open? I have 3 White connectors in the loom attached to the isv control unit. What should  I do with them?

What's the component on the dizzy side of the head that has 2 wires connected to it and some pipes, 1 of which runs along the front of the head and back towards the airbox? I'm just curious.

Also, with regards to the coil, there is a green wire coming from the ecu, I presume it has to connect to the coil, and a black wire coming from the ecu aswell. But on the corrado loom it has a red/black wire which looked as though it should connect too. How should I wire it up?

Regards
kris

Back to the top
yep thats the idle switch. what do you mean about the white connectors? the 16v loom should have 2 plugs an 8 pin and a 2 pin behind the fusebox for the ISV stuff, then there is another bit of loom from those 2 plugs to the control unit behind the centre console

thats the WUR, controls the fuel mixture

red/black is for the rev counter, green is the trigger signal wire from the tci/ecu to fire the coil. both of these wires go to the coil -ve. there is also another red/black wire to the coil -ve from the isv control unit, which has a spade connector which you unplug when setting the base idle.

the +ve side of the coil is where the 2 black and the black/white wires go

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.