Back to the top

swallowtail 1975-THE REBUILD - Little updated 14/12/12

nice car mate, whens it comin to oldbury  :wink:

1983(Y) VW GOLF GTi

Banner

Back to the top

ans4r said

nice car mate, whens it comin to oldbury  :wink:

i was gonna bring in on a trailer to the oldbury meet on weds gone…..but i went to see alicia keys instead lol

Back to the top

75golf said

Hey nice!!, blimey its not too bad rust wise . Nice find on the bulbs - did you find the tool kit?

Are you having the stickers remade and if so how do you go about doing it? I have a one that used to be in the car that has long since failed due to UV.

Enjoying the updates  8)
Mark

no tool kit..:( need to find one.

brownstickers on ebay are making my stickers.

cheers

Back to the top
ok, kinda getting confused with what goes where…..ive taken way too many pics….and i cant remember which i did first….im going to start with the taking the engine out.

ok before removing engine, i loosened the head bolts.

I then stripped off the gearbox on the floor and mounted the engine on the new engine stand….funny story, i was bidding on a engine stand on ebay and people out-bided me over the price of a new one! thanks VAT FREE DAY "MACHINE MART" :)

engine strip down…

Original genuine belt..

Head off:

Sump off:

other engine bits stripped off:

ok, now to rebuild:BLOCK, degreased, wire brushed on drill, metal cleaned, then high temp painted.

Engine blocked painted:

Dizzy:

Engine core plugs:
As the one was leaking, i thought its best to change all of them. Brand new from VW, however the sliver zinc finish i wasn't with, so i had them stripped and yellow zinc'd instead.

All pulley's, mounts, cam etc ……..wire brushed on grinder/drill, derusted, acid striped and then yellow zinc plated:

OIL CAP, Bonnet Stay, Coil Holder,  - same process with VW new seal:

I spent ages cleaning all the letters on the Coil, bolts and washers changed..

Thermo housing:stripped, wire brushed, derusted, metal cleaned and then painted with alum blast by frosts:New thermostat from DUB POWER 82 degree trimmed down to fit with a Subaru Seal:

OIL pump cleaned out, alum cleaned, then painted with alum paint from FROSTS, new seals, gaskets and yellow zinc bolts:

POWERCOATED PROCESS:
All items powercoated went through a long process:bare metal stripped, acid derusted, metal cleaned, then zinc coated, then zinc powercoated, then colour powered coated on top, painted and Lacquered.

much more to come…..maybe 2mo …..eyes are starting to hurt……let me know what you think…

Back to the top
Ace work and well done for keeping a small block going and not doing the standard 1.8T20vr6GTI2.9turboG60 transplant. The only thing I would have done slightly different would be to replace the engine breather (round dome thing on back of block). They do get blocked up and million times easier to swap on bench than when in the car. Keep up the good work.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

Ace work and well done for keeping a small block going and not doing the standard 1.8T20vr6GTI2.9turboG60 transplant. The only thing I would have done slightly different would be to replace the engine breather (round dome thing on back of block). They do get blocked up and million times easier to swap on bench than when in the car. Keep up the good work.

hi, i did replace engine breather  when i changed the core plugs…. 8)

Back to the top
That stuff looks , well better than new. It's a top job without doubt and like its been said, nice to see it being kept standard. Thanks for the encouragement on my thread as well.

I don't know if you have the original front windscreen , but I have a one from the other swallowtail I broke and it still has the factory stickers on the inside, if you want me to photograph them so you can repro them just let me know.
Cheers
Mark

Back to the top
Good to see an update on your Swallowtail. Cracking job with such attention to detail. Keep the pics and updates coming.

Back to the top
kool!

Back to the top
Nice to see the original motor. The pulleys, front engine mount, bonnet stay rod and oil cap have the wrong finish though.

Banner

Back to the top
Okay Rajan. Could you please help us both out here as I'm just about nearing the stage to get this done aswell. So what colour and finish should these parts be ? Particulally the bonnet stay rod, and bonnet top and bottom catches. Also the gearbox mount and front engine mount ?

Cheers,
Dave.

Back to the top
lots of work to be done there, early golfs rock

Back to the top

watson said

Okay Rajan. Could you please help us both out here as I'm just about nearing the stage to get this done aswell. So what colour and finish should these parts be ? Particulally the bonnet stay rod, and bonnet top and bottom catches. Also the gearbox mount and front engine mount ?

Cheers,
Dave.

Depends on the manufacture date, would need all the details

Banner

Back to the top
Front engine mounts - Black
Pulleys - grey/dark sliver
bonnet stay - black
oil cap - grey/dark sliver

I know these where the original colours as i stripped the engine down i made a note, however the front engine mount will be power coated black, but im keeping the pulleys, stay and cap as they are as i like them.

Back to the top

dubboy said

watson said

Cheers,
Dave.

My mk1 was built on Wednesday 17th January 1979. 1.1 5 door.  Not wanting to hijack your thread Swallowtail UK - Just so need to get the correct info - only doing it once and want to get it right. Over to you Rajan, can you help please ?

Back to the top

watson said

dubboy said

watson said

Cheers,
Dave.

My mk1 was built on Wednesday 17th January 1979. 1.1 5 door.  Not wanting to hijack your thread Swallowtail UK - Just so need to get the correct info - only doing it once and want to get it right. Over to you Rajan, can you help please ?

watson - not a problem friend :)

Back to the top

Swallowtail_uk said

Front engine mounts - Black
Pulleys - grey/dark sliver
bonnet stay - black
oil cap - grey/dark sliver

I know these where the original colours as i stripped the engine down i made a note, however the front engine mount will be power coated black, but im keeping the pulleys, stay and cap as they are as i like them.

I got all my brakets,bonnet stay,linkage etc all yellow zinc'd they may not all be original finish but
i like it.

looking good bob

mark

Team Wackeldackel - Team Wackeldackel

Back to the top

watson said

dubboy said

watson said

Cheers,
Dave.

My 1.1 was built feb 79, bonnet stay and catches were plated. As were both gearbox mounts, and the front engine mount (engine side, the part that bolts to the body was black). The only black mounts were the drivers side engine mount and the rear gearbox mount that bolts to the body. I'm not sure what the original plating is, but mark got mine yellow zinced for me, and they look really nice  :)

Hope that helps

Back to the top
Not to confuse the issue, my may 75 car…

front engine mount body side - black, engine side, zinc with yellow passivate
bonnet stay - zinc plated with no evidence of yellow passivate
pulleys all black except cam pulley which is zinc only
oil cap - just zinc plate

tbh you could just scotch the yellow off or what works well and will leave it with the right finish and not remove the zinc plate is to get a dremel and use the small brass spinning wire tool. This will not remove the zinc plate and i have done this when i buggered up the passivating to do it again - doesn't take too long either…. or just leave them as they look good…

Keep the updates coming   8)

Back to the top
You need to look at the precise build date eg alternator pulleys were originally black but later zinc'd/yellowed.

This is a list for '83 GTi with zinc/yellowed. For an earlier car or different engine, the list is different.

-103 Cover between the clutch housing and motor including "filler plate"
 -103 Bolted joint motor / gearbox
 -103 Screw cover plate clutch housing to gearbox below
 -103 Pipe for oil dipstick
 -103 Nuts valve cover

-109 Screws for belt protection

-115 Screw for oil filter flange to cylinder block
 -115 Screws for lid filter flange
 -117 Screw socket on the filter flange
 -117 Oil hose connectors with screw caps
 -117 Oil cooler bracket
 -117 Screws for oil cooler to bracket
 -117 Nuts oil cooler bracket on the front panel

-121 Screws / nuts + bolts for the water connecting
 -121 Water pipe to engine
 -121 Retaining screw water pipe below the engine block
 -121 Screws for bracket cooler on top
 -121 Screw water pump to engine
 -121 Head bolt and nut on the belt guard
 -121 Screw pulley water pump

-133 Fuel filter holder and mounting clamp with bolt
 -133 Screws for air flow sensor in air filter box
 -133 + Housing bolts cold-start valve
 -133 Air pipe (from the rubber on the valve to the auxiliary air valve)
 -133 Screws auxiliary air valve
 -133 Hose nozzle on the intake manifold during cold starting valve
 -133 Bolts for intake manifold to cylinder head
 -133 Screws for the HP fuel lines, cold start valve, warm up regulator
 -133 Connectors injection lines, lines to and from warm-up regulator, cold start valve
 -133 Throttle body bolts to intake manifold
 -133 Throttle linkage and throttle cable clamp
 -133 Screw support plate for warm-up regulator
 -133 Screws warm-up control on plate
 -133 Screws for half warm-up regulator
 -133 Ports timing valve for lambda control including retaining clip
 -133 Prop / intake and exhaust manifold connector between

-199 Screws for bracket to motor right
 -199 Screw holder for motor right
 -199 Screws for abutment torque arm on the front panel

-201 Shielding / heat shield on the fuel tank
 -201 Fuel supply / return under car floor
 -201 Holding clamps for supply / return in the engine room
 -201 Fuel supply / return the divider / filter

-301 Screws for reverse switch
 -301 Adjuster on the gearbox case
 -399 Gear bearing supports the front left and rear + screws / nuts / washers
 -301 Clutch release lever on the transmission
 -301 Screw shaft for reverse gear

-407 Terminals / clamps, the front stabilizer which is attached to the wishbone

-419 Terminals / clamps with which the steering gear is mounted on the body

-601 Studs

-611 Brake pressure valves
 -611 Spring for brake controller
 -611 Holder on the rear axle for spring brake control
 -611 Nuts / washers for fastening top mount to body

-615 Holder hand brake cable to rear axle
 -615 Heat plate near hand brake cable

-711 All rocker / guides for actuating
 -711 Rod (under car floor)
 -711 Small hot plate to switch operating near front exhaust pipe
 -711 Lever inside

-800 Hood lock with spring bolt and screw +
 -805 Bonnet lock on the lock carrier
 -805 Strut water tank / cowl

-807 Screws / washers for bumper to body

-819 Holder blower resistor
 -819 Screws for the fan box in the water box

-827 + Tailgate lock and locking bolt screw

-837 + Door locks screws
 -837 Bolts for door locks on B-pillar
 -837 Door tethers

-857 Holder storage compartment below the left
 -857 Screw holes for a belt + screws / spacers
 -857 Springs plates with straps in front

-903 Alternator clamp screws
 -903 Screws holding bracket for Alternator
 -903 + Alternator pulley with spacers and cable clips
 -903 Bracket for cable plug to Alternator

-905 Coil retaining clip with retaining screws
 -905 Distributor vacuum unit with screws
 -905 Terminal distributor cap clips and brackets and screws

-911 Retaining screws and nuts starter and torque arm

-915 Holding clamp and screw for battery

-919 Oil pressure switch (0.3 bar / 1.8 bar)

Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.