Skip navigation

Engine Code Mystery

Back to the top

Engine Code Mystery

Here's an odd one;

found my engine code awhile back, but thoght is couldn't be right. I have a 1.6 Golf mk1 clipper, and was pretty sure the engine code had to be RF or EZ, possibly PN.

Anyway, if I'm correct in the positioning of the code (around the third spark plug on the front of the cylinder block, near the fuel resevoir), the engine code is ME.

After a bit of research ME seems to be off a diesel engine; how can this be!? I know my car originally had a 1.8 in it (according to the records), and I think the last guy blew it and replaced it with a 1.6; but is it possible he used 1 1.6 block off a diesel? Does that even work? Confused!

Back to the top
i had a alot of trouble about my engine numbers while back

i found out that most of the big blocks are the same bore size, the stroke length is what determines what engine size it is

i don't know about the dieseil engine tho

i could be wrong tho :dontknow:

Banner

Back to the top
look on the back of the block,if it says 16D on the rear its a diesel block
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
Pretty sure my old 1992 Caddy pickup 1.6d engine code was ME.

I also seem to remember that lots of blocks even petrols had 1.6D cast in them? :dontknow:

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
I don't know too much about diesel engines really; could the engine block come out of a diesel?

Back to the top
there is no me engine code listed for any vag car best check it again.

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
Manufacturer  Model  Engine  Date  VehicleSpecifics  PartSpecifics  
VOLKSWAGEN VAN  GOLF MK2  1.6 Diesel  3/84 - 4/91  JP, ME Eng

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
not listed on etka

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
ME is a mk1 caddy diesel engine,from 1990 to 1992 also the mk2 golf and jetta 1988 to 1992 54 bhp
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
I'll check it again, but I am looking at the 2 letter code right next to the third injector under the fuel resevior?

Back to the top
oh yeah found it.

Regards Volkswarren

Back to the top
its on a flat area of the actual block, between spark plugs 2 & 3. the code should be followed by a series of numbers, thats the engine number

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
I have the same problem as Downster32. The only information I could find on the engine block is:

0261033730 3ME

What does this mean? Is this the engine code and if so, what type of engine is it? 1,6? 1,8? bhp?

Any help is appreciated!

Back to the top
I had another look into this the other day, and I think I've been looking at the wrong code. The one that ends with ME is not the engine code. That is on the top half of the block. As I understand it is further down on the lower half of the block, (or the actual engine block);

Check out the final picture on this forum:

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=69257&highlight=engine+code

My problem is now that I've found this flat bit where the code should be, if the above forum is correct, it seems that there isn't one there; even after a good clean with a wire brush. Any help? Any other way of finding the engine code?

Back to the top
yep that is where the code should be, but its not stamped particualry deep so it doesnt take much corrosion to hide it.

a clue is a large 1.6 or 1.8 cast into the back of the block, but this isnt that helpdull when you consider that the later 1.6 lump has 1.8 cast into it becasue its based on the 1.8 block with tweaked internals to reduce the cc.

Back to the top
So, any idéas on how to clean up the corrosion to unvail the code?

Back to the top
wire brush is what i used, then i shone a uber bright torch at an angle. just about managed to make out the engien code that way

Back to the top
Ok, thanks for the tip. I will try that!

Back to the top
Found it! :-) It was on a surface above the oil filter... my engine is an EX ...mystery solved. Thanks!

Back to the top
Mine's just too corroded to see; any other ideas to find out the engine code?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.