Skip navigation

VWII calipers fit on standard carriers?? 1.3

Back to the top

VWII calipers fit on standard carriers?? 1.3

Will VWII calipers fit on standard caliper carriers on a 1.3??

Are they standard on gti's?  :?

So i might need gti carriers?  :dontknow:

Really don't have a clue, but the calipers are from a mk2 so would the mk2 carriers fit?

Thanks in advance  :)

Back to the top
you need the MK1/Cabby/Scirocco GTI VWII carriers, alaong with the mounting hardware. MK2 items wont work as they're cast as part of the wheel bearing carrier.

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
mk3 polo is what you want

the carriers were designed to be big enough for vented discs or nonvented so callipers from ANY mk3 polo will fit. I know as i put mine on the other day. direct swap.

cheaper than mk1 golf usually.

Jon.

Back to the top
polo G40 are the ones you want. the non G40 ones are different

Back to the top
g40 = vwII calipers  :wink:  my bro has a late mk3 with the as used on everything VWII calipers and I plan on fitting vented discs and pads to this,

I have also done this on a mk2 1.6 which had solid discs from the factory, fitted the 239mm vented gti discs and the matching skinner pads and job done, vented discs on a non vented car.

Daily - 05 plate B6 A4 Avant S Line, with 19s for the summer.. wifes car - Rare Seat Exeo ST Sport 170 Tech
Weekend - MK2 20vt monster - Plus a mk1 caddy I am fixing for my bro

Back to the top
yes I know?
The point is you need G40 carriers the non G40 polos have solid discs, VWI calipers and the carriers are different.

The difference is on a MK2 the bearing/hub carriers are the same on all 239mm equipped cars, regardless of VWI or VWII calipers.

Back to the top
standard mk3 callipers will take vented discs. they just wont take the bigger g40discs

I have measured and checked.

Jon.

Back to the top
G40s use the same vented discs as the MK2 GTI...

Back to the top
sorry we have some what confused matters now.

back to the point.

you will need new carriers for the brakes.

sorry.

Daily - 05 plate B6 A4 Avant S Line, with 19s for the summer.. wifes car - Rare Seat Exeo ST Sport 170 Tech
Weekend - MK2 20vt monster - Plus a mk1 caddy I am fixing for my bro

Back to the top

rubjonny said

yes I know?
The point is you need G40 carriers the non G40 polos have solid discs, VWI calipers and the carriers are different.

The difference is on a MK2 the bearing/hub carriers are the same on all 239mm equipped cars, regardless of VWI or VWII calipers.

what i was sayiing, is that polo carriers will take vented discs if you use the thinner pads from the g40! the calliper/carrier is the same, as M7R has said!

I thought the g40 had the bigger diameter brake discs off the late golf 16v? may just be me though!!!

I mentioned it all coz polo vw2callipers/carriers are usually cheaper as those breaking them don't know they are the same as golf gti bits!!!  Especially breakers yards!

Jon.

Back to the top
No the carrier is NOT the same between the G40 and the lower spec models. That is the point I am trying to make.

Polo non G40 models all have 239x10mm solid discs, the G40 has 239x20mm vented discs. Thats why the carrier is different.  The G40 discs & pads are the same as MK1 and MK2 GTI (and early 16v) vented discs, and uses the same VWII calipers. All the other Polo models use VWI calipers and solid discs.

867 615 125 - Polo VWI solid disc carrier
191 615 123 - Polo VWI solid brake caliper

321 615 127 B - Polo G40 VWII vented disc carrier
1H0 615 123/4 A - Polo G40 & MK1/2 GTI VWII caliper

Back to the top
So how much would a good price be?

Are you saying then i can use any polo's calipers/carriers (aslong as they are VWII), with g40 pads, and vented 239mm discs?

Cheers  :)

Back to the top
no only G40 ones, the non G40 calipers & carriers only work with solid discs & pads.

G40 stuff will have a massive markup usually, but you can get the calipers you need from a wide range of VAG models, MK2 1.6-1.8 carb/GTI, MK3 Golf, SEAT models up untill quite late etc.

Its just the carriers specifically that you need to get from a MK1 tintop, cabrio, caddy or scirocco from a model with VWII calipers. The G40 carriers would also work but will probably be costly.
t seems all 1.5-1.8 models of MK1 got VWII calipers, but basically check with the seller that the calipers have 'VWII' stamped on them, if so they're what you need!

Back to the top
let me clear something up for you.  i own a g40 with vw2 calipers and a polo gt with vw1 calipers.
you can fit vw2 calipers to a polo gt without changing the carrier.  the polo gt is fitted with the same brakes as any other mk3 polo.  it was only the g40 which benifits from upgraded brakes as std.

Back to the top

g40jon said

the polo gt is fitted with the same brakes as any other mk3 polo.  it was only the g40 which benifits from upgraded brakes as std.

Yes I am aware of this, it appears you haven't bothered to read any of my posts above properly.

The G40 has a different carrier to the lower end models which is a proven fact, as per the part numbers above.  You might well be able to fit VWII calipers to lower spec polo carriers, but the way I see it VW changed the carrier for a reason.  I'm not about to risk anyone having a crash due to missmatched calipers & carriers!

Back to the top
as far as I know the change was cosmetic, with a thinner/thicker front bar on the carrier, purely due to tooling changes?

The usual change is because the mk2 golf weighs more than the k1 so they upgraded the thread on the slider bolts.

The polo weighs less than a mk2, and to save on messing around all mks of polo up to the 6n have the same carriers. G40 sliders may have a bigger pin, but i haven't checked that so I'm not sure.

golf vw2 callipers often have smaller width carriers. the polo's were the same across the range!!!

If you have the standard engine, or aren't going above the 100hp mark the standard mk3 polo calliper carrier will be fine.  Tbf the pins are fine on a polo above that power, as I've never heard of them sheering. the bigger sliders are easier to remove if they seize in though!!!

Jon.

Back to the top
Hoping for about 100bhp  :D  but upgrading the servo and m/c to mk2 16v golf items, and managed to bag myself a set of g40 calipers and carriers anyway  :lol:

Back to the top
No the MK3 polo wasnt the same across the range, the G40 got VWII calipers and different carriers  :lol:
On the VWII calipers one guide pin is longer than the other due to the thickness of the disc, thats the only real difference to the mounting hardware. The bolts are still M8 on all the VWI and VWII setups so not going to shear either way.

The difference with the Golf is 1.0-1.3 MK1 uses a completly different front brake setup to the low end polo, not VWI.  Its a 1 pice caliper design, without a seperate carrier :)
The MK1 Golfs from 1.5 up all use VWII calipers, the carriers are the same between GTI and non GTI they just had a few changes in casting over the years.

The non GTIs use 239x12 discs and thick pads, GTIs use 239x20 discs and thin pads. Sliders etc are all the same.  The change with the hoop you mention sounds like a late MK1 thing, I have seen for myself Golf tintop carriers dont have a front bar but later scirocco/cabrio ones do.

g40jon: since you have both do you think you could take a close look at the carriers on both your cars and see if you can spot exactly what is different?  My thoughts are the VWI carrier may be a bit narrower as its only supposed to fit over 239x10mm discs?

Back to the top

rubjonny said

No the MK3 polo wasnt the same across the range, the G40 got VWII calipers and different carriers  :lol:

there are actually 3 types of callipers across the system, the mk1 had teeves callipers, then there were a dif set, know as vw1 but the aren't really. they came off the beetle hence vw1

then came the vw2 fitted to all polo's from 1989ish and all gti's from series 1 up I believe

Seriously, my polo was a base model parade and had vw2. my mate has a mk2 c saloon, has vw2 callipers

the carrier is dif for the g40 I agree but the calliper is the same. I just want to know what the difference is as it isn't in size relating to pads/discs.

the polo has massive pads when on non-vented discs, then you fit vented discs and the thinner golf gti pads and you get gti brakes. thats it!!!

Jon.

Back to the top
I know about all 3 setups, if you read my post above you'll see that I have mentioned all 3 ;)
The MK1 Golf had either the teves setup, or VWII. It didnt have VWI.  Let me brake it down: (see what I did there? :lol:)
Teves = 239x10mm
VWI = 239x10mm
VWII = 239x12mm or 239x20mm

The Polo 3 definitely used VWI on the non G40 models.
I know this for definite as I bought a set of vented discs & pads for my girlfriends MK3 Polo CL, only to find it had VWI calipers ;)

On your 2 Polos I dont know why they had VWII calipers, perhaps its becasue they needed replacing and VWII are easy to find?  Found on MK1 1.5+, MK2 1.6+ most low spec MK3 & SEAT Ibiza etc, plentiful in scrappies.

edit: maybe its due to the fact euro MK2 polos dont have a brake servo? VW compensated for this by going for VWII and 239x12mm discs? Just a guess.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.