Skip navigation

Mk1 conversion: 2.0 16v on R1 carbs..getting there slowly!

Back to the top

Mk1 conversion: 2.0 16v on R1 carbs..getting there slowly!

yeah i figured the r1 pump was better for the job because as k33ts says it an interruptor pump so it doesnt flood the small fuel bowls.
i looked at filterkings etc but the R1 pump was only ?15 and i reckon less likely to die than the olde Mk1 pump and a regulator…

Planning to fire 'er up this weekend  :wink:

Back to the top
builds looking good mate, thinkin bout doin a 2.0l 16v swap myself but not sure wether to run on 40/45 webers or r1 carbs?
mmmm decisions decisions….

hope the start up goes well,
safe

mk1 golf - resto
mk3 polo breadie - daily banger

Back to the top
im not runing r1 carbs  so could i still use the pump ,im only asking cause i dont no if the pump would work in the same way with diffrent carbs , if you no what i mean ? e.g cuting the pump off when not needed

Back to the top

Finally got it started!!!!

Was able to finally fire the GIT up today…and she runs!  :D

Couldnt play much though as the exhaust was blowing big stylee and my new garage is bang in the middle of a 'quiet' village!

Id had problems with the fuelling, previously had an R1 pump which was a duffer- after watching the prices of R1 pumps on the 'bay i thought sod it and won a facet pump for ?15 and a profuel reg for ?12…bargain!

Engine was timed to TDC at the flywheel, reg set to 2.5psi and the dizzy was loose- got the gf to turn the key and i fiddled with the throttle & dizzy till it ran- sounds great, obviously a bit rich as it didnt need much choke to start but so far so good, gonna fit the exhaust properly this week and play with the timing etc….then its time for an MOT/RR session  8)

Back to the top
And heres a vid of its first run, sorry its only a rubbish phone one tho!!

smoke was from the cheap high-temp manifold paint- thankfully :D

the oil breather is a massive K&N- i thought it was gonna be a tiddler when i bid on it- its bigger than the goddam air filters!!!

Back to the top
looking well mint fairplay, whats involved wit wiring in the new engine loom to the mk1 golf ingnition ie how many wires etc

Back to the top
Very nice indeed - looking forward to seeing it in the flesh 8) Are you planning on going to Dubs in the Park, or one of the Berks meets?

Rich

Back to the top
Cool, nice to see it running! Personally I'd get the cam belt cover on ASAP, it only takes one small stone to be thrown up off the road and into the wrong place……

And also it would definitely be worth wiring up some kind of fuel pump relay which cuts the fuel off if the revs drop and the car stalls; a couple of people on here have set fire to their cars (and it was a fuel fed fire) due to fuel being pumped after fuel lines came loose, or something. the engine gets no fuel, stops, but the fuel keeps pumping onto the exhaust…etc etc

Standard GTI relay would do the job - connect the small 5th terminal to the trigger from the coil (same as rev counter).

Back to the top
hey thanks for the comments peeps  :D

Wiring it up was much easier than i thought- i got the ecu & ignition amp plus the harness from my mate's scrapped mk2 16v. The ignition loom is sort of self-contained- there is just a single feed in from the Mk1 igntion to the coil and a vacuum to the ecu from the inlet manifold, other than that its all just wires between the amp/ecu/dizzy/coil. Its much simpler running carbs than injection, have lots of spare wires to bundle up and hide…!
To be fair i wasnt looking forward to the wiring but thanks all to the forum FAQ's and a Mk1 & Mk2 haynes ive pretty much figured it all out…they should use the VAG wiring diagrams on the krypton factor, WAY harder than a chunky 3d jigsaw!  

Fair point on the fuel safety- ive got an inertia switch (from a land rover) which is going to be safer than nothing but i agree there needs to be an electrical cutoff so im gonna sort out a coil feed liike you suggest Paul- my Mk1 had all its juicy bit raided before i bought it so ive got to find another fuel pump relay, not happy with paying ?25 though!!   :roll:

As for the cam belt cover ive modded the original steel one to fit, but i didtn put the bottom cover on before i put the pulleys back on- doh!!

Defo up for any some meets this summer, plan is for an MOT, proper tune up and then a quick respray ready for the showtime  8)

Back to the top

Back to the top
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.