Skip navigation

White 5 door 1.8T 20v

Back to the top
Hello everyone,
I am new to this site and so thought it would be a good idea to post pictures of my new car! It is a white 5 door mk1 which has had a 1.8 turbo 20v engine conversion. I believe the previous owner was on this site so you may recognise the car!
It still has a few things that need doing to finish it off so essentially it is still a project but anyway, I have a few plans for the car and will post updates on here as I go along.
Thanks very much :D

'82 c formel e - 1.8t 20v 

Back to the top
It looks great :-)

What's your plans ??

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

It looks great :-)

What's your plans ??

Thank you :)

Well besides finishing it off which includes door seals, carpet etc in boot, rear seat belts and a cable to pop the smoothed boot, I hope to install a boost gauge and other gauges into the centre console, fit wing mirrors, flock the dash, fit chrome window winders etc, colour code the engine bay a bit more with blue hoses etc, and then metal bumpers instead of the big plastic ones!

Back to the top
Hi there and welcome along. Very nice 20v you have got there mate. I recognise the car from on here as well.

Good luck with the work on her.

Smudger

Back to the top
Sounds good and looking forward to the progress pics :-)

Back to the top
Very nice looking car you have there mate,

Back to the top
Sweet motor! bet thats fun to drive.  :wub:

Get the stance sorted out though, looks lower at the back than it does at the front. then it'll look spot on  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Thanks everybody :)

Ronnie85 said

Sweet motor! bet thats fun to drive.  :wub:

Get the stance sorted out though, looks lower at the back than it does at the front. then it'll look spot on  :thumbs:

Yeah it's great fun to drive! Tracking is off at the moment though so will sort the suspension and get it tracked so will be even better once done!
Haha yes, he raised the front for me so I didn't rip the sump off on the journey home. Will sort it out  when it stops raining :P

Back to the top
Anyway, as this is a forum, I have a few things I need help with so thought I'd ask!

My speedo, rev gauge and temp gauge do not work. The only one that is working is the petrol gauge but when full that only reads about 4/5ths full.
To make the speedo work I have read I unscrew the plug bit on the gearbox worm gear/speed sensor and thread on the speedo cable from the clocks. However the gearbox (o2a) doesn't have a sensor in it. Can anyone send me a link to the correct one to fit my gearbox that will connect up to my, what I imagine is original, therefore 1.1 1982 speedo cable?
once this is connected up will the rev gauge/tachometer also work? Or will this just make the speedo work?

What do I need to make the temp gauge work? When looking under the bonnet I found a small wire that had a label with 'coolant temp' on but it was not connected to anything. This wire looks like it has come from ecu/fuse box area so what do I wire/plug it into to make the temp gauge work?

Sorry for all the questions but this is my first 'engine conversion' vehicle and would like to have the gauges working (speedo is quite an important gauge to have working   )

Also, it is Qpeng management

Thanks for any help people can offer.
Luke

Last edit: by mortlock7

Back to the top
Nice car mate, I remember seeing it advertised, glad it's found it's way back here. Good luck sorting the niggles out. :cool:

Andy.

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Nice car mate, I remember seeing it advertised, glad it's found it's way back here. Good luck sorting the niggles out. :cool:

Andy.

Thank you. Yeah was advertised for a while I think. That's all it is really, niggles but the main bits are electrics and that is one thing I am not good with  :lol: once I have got the gauges working I will be much happier and can focus on finishing the car off visually. The only problem is, buying the car off someone who hadn't quite finished it has meant I don't know what wires he's left where etc!

Back to the top
What do people recommend for fixing the rubber door seals to the painted door? Tigerseal? 3M double sided tape? No more nails? Araldite?
Thanks!

Back to the top
It's always a nightmare following a job on that someone else has started, no matter what it is, never mind something like auto electrics :dry:  I'm clueless with wires too :lol:

Tigerseal should do the job mate!!

Andy.

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

It's always a nightmare following a job on that someone else has started, no matter what it is, never mind something like auto electrics :dry: I'm clueless with wires too :lol:Tigerseal should do the job mate!!

Andy.
Definitely! The speedo gauge will be working soon (when my sender arrives) so happy about that, though still unsure how I am going to make the temp and rev gauge work, not overly fussed about temp though.
Cool, will use tigerseal!

With the car the seller also gave me a boost gauge, however it is an electric boost gauge and I have not installed one of these before.

The map sensor has a red, black and white wire. I assume the red goes to 12v igniton live like the red wire from the boost gauge? The black will be ground. So I assume the white wire will connect up to one of the wires from the boost gauge to give the reading. Though, I am not sure whether it is the green wire or the orange wire.
The yellow wire on the back of the boost gauge will go to 12v constant? The red, as said above will go to 12v ignition, black to ground, so that leaves orange and green. Does anybody know what the orange and green wires do, and which one I have to connect to the white wire from the sender? I am not bothered about the gauge dimming when lights are on or anything, I just want it to light up.
On this guide he has said it is his orange that connects to the white wire, and the brown wire and green wire are for nothing (though I assume the brown one is his ground, whereas mine is black). Though obviously his is different so cannot be sure.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/465193-Podi-Electronic-Stepper-Motor-Boost-Gauge-Install

Would it be worth just wiring it all up, and then connecting it to orange and if that doesn't work change it to the green? Will this blow a fuse or anything or?

The nipple on the map sensor will obviously go into the vacuum line from the FPR just like a normal boost gauge

Thanks!

Back to the top
Yeah so ummm, turns out this was what was causing the knocking noise:

And a chunk out the cylinder wall:

I believe it was because of the vacuum leak from the brake booster pipe causing the engine to run lean at high rpm - and we all know that is not good for an engine: bent con rod, chunk out the cylinder wall and a chewed up piston.

Bits from the bottom of the oil pan:

Am on the hunt for a replacement engine but as you can imagine I am very angry :'( more expense - I'm already poor being a student!

Anyway on a more positive note, there has been some good things go on with the car.

I fitted tail light seals (as there weren't any and that meant A LOT of water got in during the rain), the door seals are on, I have started carpetting and panelling the boot (as it was completely bare) and have also fitted a boost gauge, oil pressure gauge and oil temp gauge.

And just a few various pictures :D ….

What happens when you jack the front up :lol: :

Tidied up the engine bay with some conduit as all the wires looked a mess:

That's all for now - will update when I get a new engine fitted!

Back to the top
Ah pants news mate. Sorry to hear this. What's the engine code and how much do you want to spend and I will keep my eyes open for a replacement for you mate.

:)

Back to the top

smudger said

Ah pants news mate. Sorry to hear this. What's the engine code and how much do you want to spend and I will keep my eyes open for a replacement for you mate.

:)

Thanks mate. Engine code is AGU and don't really want to spend more than 350 posted,  but also dont want one over 90k ish - have found onr with 82k for 300 hopefully but their communication is very slow and painful.
Cheers :)

Back to the top
Ok mate I will keep my eyes open for you. :)

Back to the top
Nice car what are the specs on the wheels and tyres mate

Back to the top
Have got an engine! 82k miles so should be good :)
Thanks mate. I think they're 7.5j and tyres are 195/45/15

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.