G60 Conversion

Back to the top
Nice work Rich! looks great :wub:

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Nice work Rich! looks great :wub:

Cheers buddy :)

Back to the top
Almost there on the airbox :)I bought a 28mm alloy bung to fill the MAF sensor hole. Unfortunately the hole must have been 26mm lol
gallery_23668_406_37702.jpg
It took me absolutely ages to grind it down with my file sander ha ha

Got the bung in and put some blue silicon sealant for extra measure and then thought the 2 empty bolt holes for the MAF sensor looked strange empty so made an alloy plate to go across the top of the bung. I need to have a rethink, possibly shape the alloy so it's like a VW sign perhaps?? Oh well its doing its job at the moment and can be perfected later on. I do need to use this car now the weather is getting better :D gallery_23668_406_19991.jpg

Also a bit baffled about how the air box will connect to the supercharger. I would welcome any ideas :$I have a very dodgy cut silicone elbow and I'm not happy with how the jubilee grips.  Unfortunately the angle is more like 110 degrees out of the air box .

This is how it looks at the moment:
gallery_23668_406_612527.jpg

Last edit: by Rich.

Back to the top
Nice job on the bung Rich.

For info, the Honda outlet from the airbox reduces to a 72mm solid plastic pipe-see below

There's enough flex in the rubber part to get it in line with the VW charger inlet flex if you can connect the two together.

Heading out now but can have a look at the VW part if you don't have one for dimensions

Mk 1 Helios Campaign, 2.0 16v G60

Build thread here

Back to the top

tidymike said

Nice job on the bung Rich.

For info, the Honda outlet from the airbox reduces to a 72mm solid plastic pipe-see below

There's enough flex in the rubber part to get it in line with the VW charger inlet flex if you can connect the two together.

Heading out now but can have a look at the VW part if you don't have one for dimensions

Ah cheers for the pictures Mike :)I have all the Honda pipe work as well and the original G60 concertina inlet so will give that another look at the weekend. I do have another silicone elbow on order so will try to cut it better with a very sharp kitchen knife instead of a razor blade.

Tell me how you get on. It looks like you need to bring the airbox forward a bit and lower so you can close your bonnet :lol:;)

Back to the top
Managed to get lots done today :)I've finished the air box connection, I took my time with a stanley knife, a hose clip at an angle tightened up. I slowly cut the silicone and it came out perfectly. :) 

I had to create a couple slots in the mounting bracket where the air box fastens to the chassis leg so I could slide it back and forward to get its resting position with the pipe work connected.
gallery_23668_406_172817.jpg

Took her out for a spin and everything is working well, I haven't attached the cold air feed yet but will try to get that done tomorrow.

Performance wise no difference in performance to the cone filter so great news, nice clean filtered air :wub:Also fitted my remaining gauges. Haven't got a picture yet but have located a vdo voltage, Spa UK oil pressure / temperature and vdo boost gauge in the compartment where the ash tray fits.

Gave her a good clean,  poor boys white diamond glaze with AG HD Wax ;)Oh and treated her to this  :lol: gallery_23668_406_1830.jpg gallery_23668_406_22722.jpg

Back to the top
Very nice  :thumbs:  I need one of those chrome filler caps :D

Jamie

Back to the top
Spent most of today finishing the interior. Got a picture of the engine bay as it stands, don't have much else to do under there now. I need to give the alloy parts a good polish though :) gallery_23668_406_630298.jpg

Gauges in and wired up :)I have a different vdo boost gauge coming from Germany that measures in bar and has vacuum as well.
gallery_23668_406_426970.jpg gallery_23668_406_538189.jpg

Put some leather care on the seats
gallery_23668_406_173877.jpg
gallery_23668_406_1489455 (1).jpg
Some random photos
gallery_23668_406_5569.jpg gallery_23668_406_307306.jpg

Back to the top
And now on to my other love, In car audio :wub:I've had a think about how I want to do this. The car is first and foremost about it's performance, handling and retaining a relatively stock appearance.

I don't want to go nuts on a system as acoustically the mk1 isn't great and even if I sound proofed it to the nines the engine will over power the system plus don't want to add any unnecessary weight.

I'm initially thinking a stealth system, head-unit less :)I have these:
gallery_23668_406_389363.jpg gallery_23668_406_994728.jpg
I'm thinking to keep things simple to start with:

Source unit : Ipod using jl cl-rlc
Speakers: JL C5-525x
Amplifier: JL XD 500/3
Sub woofer: JL CP106LG-W3v3 microsub

Back to the top
Managed to spend an hour on the car today. Should have most of tomorrow to finish things off :)Fitted my Audioscape 5 1/4 inch door pods to the door cards and then they are bolted through the back of the pods to the door skin using stock mounting points.

No mk1 doors were hurt in the process :lol:I have some dynamat superlite I'm going to put on the door skin tomorrow.
gallery_23668_406_397948.jpg gallery_23668_406_1443307.jpg
I have pulled various bits out of storage as I seem to have collected loads of audio gear through out the years.

I want to keep this build really simple to start with and then build upon it later if I think its worth it.

I managed to pick up some brand new  JL C5-525x coaxial speakers for £80 a couple years ago. Real bargain as these cost a fortune at full retail
gallery_23668_406_654384 (1).jpg
The wire is all laid and have these beauties to hide away
gallery_23668_406_273793.jpg
I have this little gizmo to run which means I can run without a stereo (see below). It comes with a volume control   which can control an ipod directly to amp.
gallery_23668_406_19241.jpg

And finally got this contraption to auto eq the car and allow a small amount of adjustment.
gallery_23668_406_803921.jpg

Back to the top
I love your car Rich, it's a beaut' - can't wait to see it at a show/meet!

Some nice ICE going in there too  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Hi Rich,
Random one this…..I am not here very much ( I have no excuse!), but when I do come on here I always try to find you. I literally live about 150 yards from you!, I believe you know or work with my girlfriends dad, he has told me all about your car and I have past you out driving in the golf, but I was in my t5. I think our golfs have been on the road about the same amount of time, just a shame we havnt crossed paths. I dont drive mine enough really, but here mine, so keep eye out!

Would be great to catch up at some point seeing as we live so close and Tiverton is doesn't have many mk1's around!!
Regards

Isaac

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

I love your car Rich, it's a beaut' - can't wait to see it at a show/meet!

Some nice ICE going in there too  :thumbs:
Cheers Andy, I need to get out to a meet or show. Would be great to meet you and other members of the club :)Should have an audio update on Friday as have the day off to finish it.

Back to the top

isaact4 said

Hi Rich,
Random one this…..I am not here very much ( I have no excuse!), but when I do come on here I always try to find you. I literally live about 150 yards from you!, I believe you know or work with my girlfriends dad, he has told me all about your car and I have past you out driving in the golf, but I was in my t5. I think our golfs have been on the road about the same amount of time, just a shame we havnt crossed paths. I dont drive mine enough really, but here mine, so keep eye out!

Would be great to catch up at some point seeing as we live so close and Tiverton is doesn't have many mk1's around!!
Regards

Isaac

Hi Isaac,

your mk1 looks sweet! Do you have an abf on carbs?

John said you had a 1.3 lol

Would be great to meet up, I've seen your T5 at the end of the road and looked out for you.

I'll pm my mobile to you.

Cheers

Rich

Back to the top
Unfortunately didn't get a chance to look at my audio today but did something more important that's been bugging me.

Last time I was using the car the oil was a little on the toastie side even with my cooler. I mounted my oil cooler low down near the gearbox but there was no air flow it appears.

When I started to look at an air box I realised I had quite a bit of space in front of the charger, so today I re located it :) gallery_23668_406_168339.jpg
ta da :DAnd to ensure I have plenty of air getting to it I have cut the slates out of a spare grille, just need to sand it and paint it and it will look like new :) gallery_23668_406_553192.jpg

Back to the top
Oil cooler fits perfectly  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Got my grille finished.

Plenty of air flow now :) gallery_23668_406_52341.jpg
gallery_23668_406_137728.jpg gallery_23668_406_445269.jpg

Back to the top
Great job Rich! That grille has turned out perfect.

Where's the cold air feed coming from now? I thought it was going to be where you've put the oil cooler?

No progress on my airbox mod yet I'm afraid, but I have nearly finished changing out my coilovers for springs & shocks (Eibach/Boge combo) and new H&R ARBs  :)

Mk 1 Helios Campaign, 2.0 16v G60

Build thread here

Back to the top

tidymike said

Where's the cold air feed coming from now? I thought it was going to be where you've put the oil cooler?

No progress on my airbox mod yet I'm afraid, but I have nearly finished changing out my coilovers for springs & shocks (Eibach/Boge combo) and new H&R ARBs  :)

Cheers Mike, what a job it was though, took about 4 hours all in to remove the slats, sand it down and then paint it.

I didn't have the heart to cut up my genuine grille so got a pattern version from Funkstar.

I knew the pattern version wasn't perfect but it gave me the opportunity to perfect it. There was the odd bit of excess plastic here and there which I removed but the main problem was where the chrome details clipped at the top and bottom. I used a soldering iron to melt the holes where the tags are bent round to hold them in place as they weren't deep enough.

I had to sacrifice the intake for the moment as the oil cooler was more important, also it takes up all the room. Need to find another position for it.  

Back to the top

tidymike said

That sounds great about the springs and shocks. I would've converted back to them but unfortunately I didn't have all the components to make them up as I had cheap coilovers on the car when I bought it.

But… I have been really happy with my KW's V1's they are not harsh at all, quite soft really but firm when cornering.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.