Skip navigation

GLD .. Another winter off the road.

Back to the top

GLD .. Another winter off the road.

The cup style wire wheels on a grinder are an excellent way of removing most things, but PLEASE ALWAYS WEAR GOGGLES. The steel strands have a habit of flying out and spear the skin easily.

Back to the top
good work. sympathise with ya on the grinder front - i used two Nu-Tool grinders in about a day - pure scrap - get a good grinder like a de-walt - in fact i reverted to my dad's old 25 year old makita and it did the whole car - used about 10 wire cups too but i still think it is the best way of removing as it doesn't gouge the steel like chisel scraping will

• the problem with cheap grinders is the grease heats up and leaks out then it just disentegrates with the shaking they get when the wire wheels go off balance - sore on the hands after a while but keep at it

I just did 2 brushed coats epoxy on the floor pan - i used a brush as when the car was on its side you could load the brush well and float the epoxy well over joints etc

on the inner guards/wings i did zinga and epoxy - probably no real need for both - but hey :D

i'd get that rust treated on the floor pan - with something like deox c gel from bilt hamber - slap it on and cover with cling film and leave for a night

actually my floor pan was pretty much rust free which was a big bonus.

zinga is for bare rust free steel only - it won't kill rust if its already there but is brilliant for stopping rust forming on bare steel - like a cold galvanising

Back to the top
Looks a good example

I used the  epoxy mastic on the underside of my mk1 excellent stuff.

I couldn't make out from the pictures, had the rear mount on the beam fractured?

76 ?
78 gls
83 gti 5v

Back to the top
No it has just worn it oval so it was a bit sloppy.. hoping to do more tomorrow.  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Well it's been a painfully long time since I did anything to the the golf, But wanna be back on the road before the end of the year so may have to scale down my plans a bit.

Accumulator connections not looking so great…

Fuel pump maybe in better condition………

………Now I know why those rubber boots are over the terminals :(

Think I'm gonna be able to get away with cleaning up the accumulator though

Feel like i'm starting to make some headway on the underseal removal though. Although I reckon most of the Wires from my cup brushes have ended up impaled in my face!!!

getting through plenty of these.

How are people getting into the corners? The grinder is fine for flat panels but for corners my cordless drill with a wire brush on it just doesn't seem man enough. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Also another problem i've got is this..

O/s rear Quarter. Anyone got any ideas?

cheers in advance guys..

Back to the top
Been working just not updating… feel a bit happier now i've found myself an expert mug.. I mean welder who's willing to come up to the garage and work his magic on the golf… so I made hime some nice tin worm holes..  :mrgreen:

Before..

After… I knew there was metal there..

Not too sure how he's gonna get round this one. It's right up by the offside seatbelt mount where there is what looks like a filter of some sort which was held on that bolt.. ????

Some good news though tank and filler neck looks sweet.. just a clean and paint for that.

pressure regulator looks like just a clean and paint job too..

And stripped a few bits which I sent off to the powdercoaters today

Back to the top
great project,

im getting into mine atm , just a quick question what is the metal bracket type thing in the last picture you posted , i cant figure it out , it came in the box's of car i recived with the shell ?

thanks

mk4 golf gti with bora front end and lots more ,

mk1 gti project

Back to the top
fuel pump basket.. by the offside rear wheel.  :D

Back to the top
Did some more tonight. Meant to go up and continue stripping back the underside ready for painting… But got a little side tracked  :| Put the newly powder coated rocker on and the new timing cover but couldn't help noticing how scruffy the servo was looking so apart came the air flow meter and filter housing lifted out the washer bottle undid the master cylinder and got three of the nuts undone on the back of the servo .. Can I get to the fourth one can I hell!! and I ran out of time.. Will upload some more pics of my handiwork tomorrow..   :banghead: Why can't I just do one thing at a time…..

Back to the top
Okay first things first been trying to locate rubber bobbins for the accumulator and fuel pump basket, Need four in total, so rang the dealer to enquire how much they were… £7 odd each plus vat…… umm okay i'll leave that for the minute. Then I had a thought they don't look disimilar to the old renault 5 exhaust rubbers we got in work. about a nugget each. bargain. will let you know how well they fit when I do the rebuild.. Can't believe how much the price varies on different items. I realise there is different production runs and demand on certain parts but seriously??? anyway like I say they don't look different and look to have the same thread and everything.

Here's the bits I got back from the coaters.. pleased with some bits more than others but I suppose it's only gonna be as good as the pitted steel is underneath.. Wipers, Rad cowl, Rocker and timing cover are the best parts and the basket came out better than I thought it was going to as well. It's got a few pin holes in it but I thought it was gonna disintegrate completely in the blasting!!

The new bits now make the rest of the bay look terrible .. So as I posted previously I'm gonna take of the grotty looking servo and give it a lick of paint.

How hard was that to get out!! was under tension from the brake linkage but managed to to flick the spring clip off the bottom of the clevis pin with alot of sweating and back ache!! and release the !£&^)!!

Sanded, masked and ready for a couple of coats of good old hammerite..

Looking lovely and black again.. just leaving it for a few days now to harden off before I scratch hell out of my knuckles and arms again. Did my new master cylinder while I was there, Looks much better in black than silver.

Also found this coiled round itself hiding behind the servo anybody got any idea where it's been taken off of??

Thought I would replace this while I had a bit of decent access to it as my heater would never slide all the way to cold in the car.

So I removed it only to find that it's working perfectly!?!? but still manged to snap the little metal hold down clip for the cable so it looks like another phone call to the stealers. Next up for the swap is the dead looking water pump and cambelt which I think are probably both well past their prime… well the water pump definately is anyway.

Oh and one last thing thought someone was wandering around the outside of the garage with a
flame thrower but turns out it was this…

One of the summer evening occurrences here in bristol..

Back to the top
hay bud, ya fancy comin along to the golf meet on the 21st?

unfortunately i just realized i cant go… but pop a post on the the bristol thread an go meet the guys :) that will give ya inspiration :P

booze and boredom, the greatest mix :)

Back to the top
Looking good dude, keep it up!

I thought this may be a thread on my old Gti but it's not….. Mine was A74 GLD and was also a black Gti  :mrgreen:

If you ever notice it anywhere take a pic and let me know it's current state, you may notice the reg quicker than me as it's half the same as yours! :wink:

Back to the top

mixerman said

hay bud, ya fancy comin along to the golf meet on the 21st?

unfortunately i just realized i cant go… but pop a post on the the bristol thread an go meet the guys :) that will give ya inspiration :P

Maybe mate but i'm still getting round in the polo at the mo..

Stealthie said

I thought this may be a thread on my old Gti but it's not….. Mine was A74 GLD and was also a black Gti  

If you ever notice it anywhere take a pic and let me know it's current state, you may notice the reg quicker than me as it's half the same as yours!

DVLA CHECK

Quick check here suggests it's been exported!! has not been taxed since 01/09  :)

Back to the top
"Also found this coiled round itself hiding behind the servo anybody got any idea where it's been taken off of?? "

Im pretty sure that connection is for  the header tank low-level warning light . But its tucked away & not used on my tin-top as well
baz

ps good post

Back to the top

Stealthie said

I thought this may be a thread on my old Gti but it's not….. Mine was A74 GLD and was also a black Gti  

If you ever notice it anywhere take a pic and let me know it's current state, you may notice the reg quicker than me as it's half the same as yours!

DVLA CHECK

Quick check here suggests it's been exported!! has not been taxed since 01/09  :)

That link wont work at work  :?  I'll take a look when I get home.

Interesting if it has been exported as they guy I brought it off was the first owner and was in the army, he had ordered it while he was in Germany and then imported it over here when he came home so I was told. I brought it off him so I was the seccond owner and it was in good condition although had lived outside on his drive for a long time so the paintwork was tatty. I might try to find out a bit more about where it is if I can purely out of interest in what it's like now!

Back to the top
Not really done much to the Gti for a month or so bit of leading which is quite amazing will definately give that another go.. but the most exciting news is that I got my paperwork through for my V888 application and went searching for the previous owners on facebook and found one! who has given me a couple of pics of it in it's former glory (thanks David) I gave him a link to my build thread.. anyway here are the pics.

Turns out the first owner was a lady from london who had it personally imported have tried to make contact with her but I've drawn a blank on that one, Also been owned by a doctor in it's previous state too!

Back to the top
Found myself a (hopefully) good welder after waiting far too long for the other one… I haven't forgotten you gld!

Back to the top
Little bit of progress here!!!  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

My welder that was gonna do the job was a major let down after promising upteen times to come and do the work I thought it was never gonna get done but..  eventually found someone who was mobile and who's work had been recommended and so a few quid lighter but a 1000 times happier I finally have some nice new steel in the GTi!!!

The welding trolley!!!

and now the metal shots! the welds were done quite heavily allowing me to grind and lead load the areas..

The last pic is a shot of up inside the o/s arch which was quite honestly shocking, Can't believe how good it looks up there for how difficult the access is..

and some post grinder shots..

Back to the top
Great work mate looks like a good one :thumbs:

Back to the top
coming along nicely. Keep up the good word.  :thumbs:

MK1CRAZY YAHOOOOO!!!!!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.