Skip navigation

What did you do to your MK1 today?

Back to the top

What did you do to your MK1 today?

36thCrazyFist said

What you done Style ?

Last week they fixed my knee cap in the hospital so let's hope for the best  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Hi, i sound deadened the floor of my golf today, hard work but i hope its worth it

Back to the top

Jonny16V said

Not today but put my engine in a couple of days ago

v.nice, looking Good! Sounds like a more productive time than I'd had this weekend..:(post MOT fix ready for retest next Sat and found one faulty/leaking rear brake cylinder, and an advisory on a slight coolant leak..which after doing a complete coolant flush, checking the hose/connection, refilling and rechecking..everything fine..switch off engine then..pSSSSSS..big split in the coolant to water pump hose and a drench engine bay!!:'(

Back to the top

shaunyp said

Hi, i sound deadened the floor of my golf today, hard work but i hope its worth it

I went the the easier option in mine..ear plugs!  :lol:

Back to the top
Sunday at mates waxoyling his Metro (! its what mates are for…) then fitting recent ebay purchase to my Cabriolet. Genuine VW 'K' bar front lower brace. Whilst under the car I noticed the inner side of one tyre is wearing so needs tracking and the gear selector vertical shaft bushes are non existent. That will account for the recent metallic rattling when changing gear….

Anyone know of a suitable upper strut brace that fits Carburettor models?

Anyone know a decent wheel alignment garage in South Yorks???

Before

During

After

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Following on from above and the rattling gear selection…… Couldn't find anywhere that supplied just the big bushes for the vertical relay shaft so had to get a complete bush kit.

Have loads of the small bushes kicking around but none of the big ones. Also had a spare 'rubber ball' lever that I was going to use but the original one on the car was still round, on previous occasions when I've worked on the gear selector mechanism the rubber balls have worn into more of a square shape. The new bushes were too stiff to fit so I soaked in hot water for a few mins.

Before from above;

After a clean up and replacing the two bushes, mini heat shield still to go back on;

The remains of the lower bush, the top one was AWOL;

Back to the top
Oh shame I only just saw this Early-1800 I have those bushes spare that I could have sent you!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Wasn't too expensive for a kit inc rods (which I didn't need, so they are now spares along with all the other small bushes….) and quick delivery from ebay seller BandB.

Do you know if anyone that does sell individual bushes?

Now off out to upgrade the speakers.

Back to the top

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

Wasn't too expensive for a kit inc rods (which I didn't need, so they are now spares along with all the other small bushes….) and quick delivery from ebay seller BandB.

Now off out to upgrade the speakers.

I used the bush kit from classic-vw.Co.uk, think it was 5.99 and didn't come with rods. didn't need them all but have seen them being sold singular on ebay for more then the 5.99 for the kit..

Today I test fitted my recent purchase off here, Ashley 16v manifold… wow it's damn close to the steering rack boot.. and almost touching the steering rack :-o

Back to the top
Starting replacement of front 6x4s;

Problem no. 1, wrong connector the 'VW' wiring adaptors;

Problem no.2, the Alpine coaxial tweeter sticks out and hits the grill, I had the bright idea of using the rubber washers to stand off the speaker from the grill, but then that adds to the depth of the speaker, along with the larger magnet means that its a very tight fit trying to it get back into the door/door pocket. I eventually gave up worried I was going to break the brittle plastic door pocket, and reinstated the original speaker.

Started on the rears and found out why the original speakers were so poor, they had disintegrated;

And the rears didn't use some non standard connector. Had to snap off two spring tangs and bend the fixing tabs to get new Alpine speakers to fit;

Think the 6x4 could be made to fit the rear shelf's of a tin top as there is less of a problem with mounting depth but on the whole couldn't recommend Alpine speakers for MK1s.

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

I don't, no - mine are just left overs from part-used kits. funk-star might?

Those Alpine speakers aren't bad at all, fitted some to my old 944 and the sound quality was good

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yea, no doubt the speakers provide a good quality sound but they are not a straight forward fit in a MK1, in the front door pockets anyway and the rears need the fitting tabs tweaking.

Will have another go with the fronts when the (hopefully) correct wiring adaptors arrive.

Back to the top
Fitted a new front spoiler today after the previous one got ripped off when it was hit by some flying tyre debris on the A64! Cheers to funk-star for getting a new one out to me so quickly.  C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Back to the top
Finally got correct wiring adaptors after being sent wrong ones…. the ones that fit my loom are actually spec'd as for Suzuki and Subaru's ?!? If anyone is looking for these be aware that there are some with 2xsmall speaker connectors instead of the required 1xsmall and 1xlarge that all/most speakers have?

Armed with these had another go fitting the new Alpine speakers to the front door pockets of Cabrio and managed to get them to fit without cracking any plastic.

Back to the top
Dig my MK1 out of the dirt after trying to make some nice shots !!!

Needed a 4x4 to get me out  :(

Back to the top
I drove past some really nice woods yesterday Peter, then I thought I'd get stuck so didn't bother!

1986 Cabriolet (long resto!)
1983 Cabriolet (daily pain in the bum)
1983 T25 (weekend pain in the bum)

Follow us on:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Instagram: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/

Banner

Back to the top
Smart call  :thumbs:  all do the pictures are nice hehehe !

Back to the top
Polished my bonnet!!! Cat jumped up on it , luckily scratches came out :thumbs:

Back to the top
removed ma cv joints from the drive shafts… ordered some new ones (cv joints!), painted my front hub carriers, picked up a pattern steel rear bumper and various other oddsnsods, tomorrow I'm gunna take the next batch of stuff to be powdercoated :)
before I know it i'll be bolting stuff back on and not taking more stuff off… hehehe! :)

Last edit: by kamikaze cabby

1992 clipper……..  "THE BLACK ONE"
1990 mk1 caddy…… " THE PIKEY WAGON"
1969 type 3 notchback
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.