Skip navigation

Barney's RE2000 MK1 8V

Back to the top
Picked up an awesome Golf Mk1 a few months back needed a "bit" of work:

The car is Golf GTI Campaign that underwent an RE2000 conversion in 1987, i purchased the car from a member on the forum (you know who you are) and promised that i would try and keep a log of all good things to come to this beauty, also i had no history with the car so im hoping someone on the forum recognises it, this is it as the previous owner bought it:

photo Re2000-3.jpg

photo Re2000-2.jpg

This is how I got it:
photo IMG_1391.jpg

Nice little Project for me to crack on with, not only is this my first Golf MK1 but its also my first project

all comments welcome

Last edit: by barney1102

Back to the top
first photos dont work.

Got any photos of the engine? sounds sweet! good luck with the project.

Back to the top
Looks like a good project to get your teeth into mate. Best of luck with it.

Good luck with the search for info on her.

Smudger

Back to the top
Thanks Guys,

Yeah the engine has been stripped and is currently getting worked on heres a before:

photo IMG_1435.jpg

Here is the engine stripped:

photo IMG_3704.jpg

Here is the beauty that is the crank: (which if i am not mistaken is a Holbay knife edge crank)

photo IMG_1898.jpg

And Omega Race pistons

photo IMG_1896.jpg

Back to the top
Nice pistons dude  :cool:  :cool:

Back to the top
Thanks,
They need a bit of a clean, and may need a bit more work on them, I contacted Omega, and they were so interested and curious about them, they asked me to send them so they could analyse them,

But i got the head sent away as well, to lets just say an iconic 'man in the shed' who around 25 years ago did the work to it :lol:photo IMG_3710.jpg

Back to the top
 :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Other than the engine, the Shell has had the underseal removed:

photo IMG_1752.jpg

A hell of a Job and worth while

it not going to be a mixture of colours underneath thats just to protect as i went down to bare metal, and im considering getting the whole shell blasted back to bare metal then e-proxy primered, <(happy for any advice on this)

also done did the seats too:

before

photo IMG_1884.jpg

photo IMG_1887.jpg

photo IMG_1886.jpg

And after:

photo IMG_1899.jpg

photo IMG_1900.jpg

Came out quite clean :cool:

Back to the top
Seats look much better mate. A nice job.

As for the epoxy, I will going down this route with my series 1 resto when the time comes as it has been recommended to me by more than one person in the know. I have been told to budget for it as it's not exactly cheap but very worthwhile doing :)

Back to the top
Cheers Smudger,

I took the fabric off the base completly, repaired any bolster wear treated the base, put new seat leaver cables in, cleaned the fabric and put it back together, was a straight forward one to be honest, but with the results well worth the time and effort,

I have been thinking about it, and though e proxy would be the way as i want to do it once and properly

Just feel as though the welding is going to be a bit much, as i have to do the front panel, rear valance, sills, arches, rear tub, around the sunroof and the scuttle :(and i cant weld, so will have to get someone to do this O_o

Back to the top
Same as me mate. Welding is a step too far for me as well so will be paying someone to do it so it's done properly. Mine needs a roof swap as well so there's no way i am taking such an important job on.

Back to the top
yeah, best leave it to an expert, a roof swap, thats a big one,

Back to the top
Indeed mate. One bloke will be doing the whole lot of welding work on my car. Should be under way in about 2 months :)

Smudger

Back to the top
Hi, Barney, that engine looks to be a bit special, well worth getting it sorted properly. Love the work on the seats too, I haven't even thought about my interior yet :dry:

Andy.

Back to the top

smudger said

Indeed mate. One bloke will be doing the whole lot of welding work on my car. Should be under way in about 2 months :)

Smudger

Care to disclose who you got to do your car?  :lol:

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Hi, Barney, that engine looks to be a bit special, well worth getting it sorted properly. Love the work on the seats too, I haven't even thought about my interior yet :dry:

Andy.

Cheers Andy, yeah it is a bit special, the car started out as a golf MK1 GTI Campaign but in 1987 had the GTI Engineering RE2000 conversion, so they uprated and bored out most of the engine, really am hoping someone on here recognises it and can provide some history

Barney

Back to the top

barney1102 said

smudger said

Smudger

Care to disclose who you got to do your car?  :lol:

It'll be a fella near York mate doing the work. :)

Back to the top
Great work so far mate, look forward to following this.

Back to the top
Good job so far barney. I do love a gti engineering car.

Back to the top
Good work,
I see your in Berkshire, there is a mk1 meet on the 3rd Wednesday of the month near Maidenhead if your intrested & this months meet is next Wednesday.

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.