Skip navigation

1993 Clipper - Starter motor (I suspect)

Back to the top

Just clicking until I hit the starter with a hammer

Think I have a problem with the solenoid of the starter motor. Quite often nothing happens when I turn the key except for a click, and sometimes after a few attempts it will suddenly jump to life or if it is really bad, I have to use a hammer on the starter motor to get it to go. Alternatively, I can use a jump starter as well to probably give a little more current to "free" the starter.

This has been ongoing on for a few years now, but getting worse now so I want to replace the starter to get it more reliable.

I have been looking now for a starter, but struggle to find the correct one. Is there a particular good place to find these - and how can I verify that it is the correct part?

Help appreciated.

VW Golf Clipper '93, BMW X50 40d, Abarth 500C, Audi A3 Sportline, Porsche 911-50th

Back to the top
Have you tried removing the starter motor and cleaning/WD40 ing the inside, it's only held on by 2 bolts and the electrical connection.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Two bolts? I was not aware of that. I was reading the replacement process and it seemed like 3 bolts where one was attached to the engine mount which meant you had to support the engine when removing it. 

Is that not the case for the clipper then ?

If it is two bolts only I might have indeed a look. 

VW Golf Clipper '93, BMW X50 40d, Abarth 500C, Audi A3 Sportline, Porsche 911-50th

Back to the top
Yep it's definitely two bolts only. If it hadn't been an issue for so long I'd suggest if it could be the battery.

Where in the UK are you? If you're anywhere near me (Stamford PE9) you're welcome to come and try a spare I have to see if it solves the problem.

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks for that confirmation. I am near Gatwick, so a bit far away :)

Would this be the right unit?
Starter from ebay

Back to the top
Yes 2 bolts but 1 is also holding on the front engine mount to the engine so it is a good idea to pop something under the engine to hold it up while you take the bolt out.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
I never knew that! Although only fitted one to earlier tintop!

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
That link from ebay shows the three bolts fixing though. Does anyone have a picture of what it actually looks like?

Back to the top
My 1978 mk1 Scirocco and 1988 golf cabriolet have 2 bolts so yours being a 1993 could be different so best if you have a look, you should be able to see it with out even jacking up the car.

Back to the top
3 bolt fixing is mk2 golf type, still fits a mk1 just fine

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thanks for confirming, I will just order one as if I have to take it off - for £50 or so, I rather replace it straight away instead of taking it off again some time in the future (especially as I only do about 300 miles a year in the car).

Back to the top
Finally found the correct replacement part, have fitted it whilst supporting the engine mount and the only issue was that on the new motor - the connectors were the other way around so the first time it would not start.

Once the panic was over, it fired up fine and now I have a starting car each time :)

Back to the top
Nice one, glad you're sorted ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
The front engine "mount" isn't actually a mount in the sense that it it takes hardly any of the weight of the engine. What it does do is hold it in position when it revs up etc. I think its called a torque reaction mount, or something?

Back to the top
it acts like a stabiliser bar bit like the old mins had on the top :ninja:  

Back to the top
Ok, not critical then but I felt more comfortable supporting it just in case it would even drop by a mm or so making the bolt difficult to get through.

It went through very smoothly anyway. I had lived with the "will it start or not" for quite a few years so it is great to be know it will start.

Back to the top
Before you fixed it... Wje. You turned the key and preyed Did the clock go out and all power seem to disappear (if so I may be replacing a starter motor!!)

Back to the top
No, there were no symptoms like that at all. It would just click but other than that all electrics would remain normal.

To me it sounds like your problem is a bad battery though if the power consumption from the starter takes all the power away from all other consumers.

It is normal that during the starting process major components such as lights, fan etc are switched off. But never the clock though.

Back to the top

Gony59 said

Before you fixed it… Wje. You turned the key and preyed Did the clock go out and all power seem to disappear (if so I may be replacing a starter motor!!)

Not necessarily bad battery, if the starter motor is jammed and the power's going to it it will pull a huge current, which will drop the available voltage from the battery quite a bit. Worth checking the battery is okay - the easiest way being to check its voltage once its rested for some time and under no load.

Back to the top
Agreed, it is not certain that the battery would be bad necessarily. What made me think that is the disappearing of the clock as that takes so little current that the battery must be giving all power to the starter.

On a previous bad battery that was my symptom, the clock would reset on start attempts.

Easy check though via a jump lead to see if the starter will turn, if not - jammed starter. If it does, than bad battery.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.