Skip navigation

1991 VW Golf GTi Rivage Temperature Gauge not working

Back to the top

Temperature Guage not working

Hi All,

I've got a 1991 VW Golf Rivage 1.8 DX engine. Very recently I've noticed the temperature gauge not working. I  know the car isn't overheating as I've let it get warm enough for the fan to kick in. I've checked the coolant level and that is at the correct level. I have done a test on the temp sensor which is located just between cylinders 3 & 4 with the yellow wire that has a red trace, by providing that with an earth to see if the gauge goes sky high with the ignition on and the gauge does not move.

I have a feeling its a problem with the gauge, but has any one else had an issue with this as well? If so any idea how you got around this? I've been trying to look on crazy quiffs and VW heritage for a replacement gauge with the correct markings to no luck.

Don't suppose anyone knows where i can get one from?

Any help is appreciated! I can provide photos if that helps too. 

Back to the top
check the pins on the clocks are good, they can bend with age and make poor contact. also if you loop a wire between pins 2 and 4 that'll tell you if its a gauge or wiring fault.

if it does go to full looping at dash plug check again at the fusebox end of the dash loom, if it still goes up then dash loom is good check again at engine loom pin, that one is D/29. also if you pull the 42 level relay out you can loop a wire between dash temp feed and the earth

T14 - CE1
1 - blu/gry - Light switch pin 58b (dash lighting)
2 - brn - Earth
3 - pur/blk - Fusebox pin B/3 (fuel level sender)
4 - blu/yel - Fusebox pin B/7 (coolant temp sensor)
5 - red/blk - Fusebox pin B/19 (rev counter)
6 - red - Fusebox pin B/12 (permanent live)
7 - blu/wht - Fusebox pin A/28 (high beam warning)
8 - red/wht - MFA switch mode button
9 - blu/blk - Fusebox pin A/4 (high oil pressure warning switch)
10- brn/red - Fusebox pin B/6? (glow plug?)
11- yel - Spade to engine loom behind fusebox on early, Fusebox pin B/15 late (low oil pressure warning warning switch)
12- blu - Fusebox pin A/16 (alternator warning light)
13- blu/red - Fusebox pin A/17 (indicator warning lamp)
14- blk - Ignition switch pin 15 (ignition live feed)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
I have checked all the wiring to the printed circuit on the rear of dash board and to the sensor. I have put a VW potentiometer tester on the wire that connects onto the temp sensor (yellow wire with a red trace). The gauge does not move in accordance to the potentimeter settings. I.E. 62 - over heat position on the needle for gauge and 500 for cold setting. This was detailed in a workshop manual provided by Volkswagen for this engine.

I have also checked the printed circuit on the rear of the dashboard and the tightness of the nuts of the temp gauge. The gauge is still not working. The voltage stabliser voltage is good and working correctly as the fuel gauge is working correctly.

Any other ideas, or is this still to be related to a new gauge?

If it is a new gauge, does anyone have one for sale that they would be willing to sell to me?

Back to the top
On a 90 ish Cabriolet, or Golf, you can use a 9v DC battery on the water temp sender plug, key off, if the needle moves, then it is the sender that is bad.

If it doesn't move, then you take the cluster loose, but don't disconnect it.  Attach your 9vDC battery across the nuts on the gauge, if it doesn't full scale deflect then your gauge is bad.

Fear not you can repair the gauge.
It is probably cold solder joints on the connections.

The Gauge itself is a MINI-Toaster.  They wrap Nica-chrome wire around a bi-metallic wire, as the wire heats up from the current of the sender it bends the metal moving the needle.

I have a How to fix the gauge.
Repairing your Flaky Water Temp Gauge | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

If the fuel gauge and the Temp gauge aren't working then that is the 10V stabilizer ka-lm7810-ate avail at a good electronics supplier.
(Dealer wants 35-45 dollars for the .89 cent part.)

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
one thing make sure the nuts that attach the gauge to the cluster are all tight, as they're also provide the electrical contacts.

failing that its probably the gauge as you say, if you find a similar set of clocks the gauge will swap over, it doesnt have to be a GTI set specifically. look at the shape & position of the gauge, plus whether it has an led in it or not.

the gauge for the upper middle is 155919511B, listed for caddy, polo and cabrio 82-92

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

Gonna echo Briano here,
Grounds or earths.
Dirty above or contacts are a common fault.
So a clean up the copper contacts on the Mylar blue foil and wrapping a couple turns of tape over nub the clock connector goes too, pads out and makes a tighter connection.
This cured my temp issues which was the flashing light.
Worth a try.
If not you got lots of great advice here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Thanks very much guys! I am going to give it a go at the weekend an let you all know how I get on. Wish me luck!

Back to the top

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.