Skip navigation

THE Citi Golf thread. Pics, Q and A's and anything else.

Back to the top

VW Citi

THE Citi Golf thread. Pics, Q&As and anything else.

Hi,

I have one of the VW Citi Mk1 limited editions.

Looks like no chance of registration here in the UK until it's 10 years old.

Back to the top

Re: VW Citi

farrar12 said

Hi,

I have one of the VW Citi Mk1 limited editions.

Looks like no chance of registration here in the UK until it's 10 years old.

Pics please :)

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook

Back to the top
Hi,

Not sure how to copy and paste a photo in to this message but here is the car:

Mk1 Citi | But still in SA | Marcus | Flickr

That was taken in the SA showroom (not by me I should add - never been to SA).

Here is the car once home:

Mk1 VW | Marcus | Flickr

But most important thing missing!

Back to the top
Sell me it, i don't mind waiting 10 year to reg it.
Mine is a daily, i would want that for later years as current one is for my boy

Back to the top
Looks very nice, so are you going to trailer it to the mk1 show ;)

Is there nothing you can do for 10 years apart from crash testing etc paperwork?
Can't you not drive it on SA Plates or trade plates?

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook

Back to the top
i would love to have a south african mk1 would swop my mk1 cabby for one if in good nick lol

i'am a mk1 golf nutter RHODEISAN RIDGEBACK mk1 cabbys rule and you drool

Back to the top
Hi all,

I'm sorry I can't sell it. Too much invested in terms of cash and time getting it over here etc. Plus I bought it because I love VW's and the mk1 golf shape in particular.

It's been garaged since coming here so it's 100% new. Handful of kms when in SA on trade plates. Manufacture stickers still on etc.

Will just have to wait until 2019 to drive it (assuming there are no law changes in the meantime!)

Don't think there is another way. Any genuine ideas would be appreciated!

Cheers

Back to the top
I have a Citi Golf which I bought late last year on a bit of a whim to keep my other weekend car company (a Mk2 Golf GTi).

It's a 1994 1.3 Citi Shuttle on an L-Reg and showing 46k miles.

It was in great condition except for the battery tray which had a rot hole in it, and the car wouldnt run well either.

I tracked down the running problem to the carb rubber mount.  The carb is a "Keskin" and the rubber mount is found on 90's Audi 80 1.8 carb.  I replaced the rubber mount and all well.
The exhuast back box was rotten too, so I replaced it with a stock 1.3 Mk1 golf silencer and pipe - and it fitted correctly at the joint.

Some other things which are a bit weird about the Citi;-

* No front wheel arch liners
* The 1.3L engine is a big-block which is essentially a de-stroked 1.6/1.8
(good news as engine mounts make it ripe for engine transplant!)
* The door hinges are not same as european Mk1 golf

My "Shuttle" is basic spec.
*No rear screen wiper
*No rear screen demist heater
*No front wash/wipe facility or intermittent wipe

My car's been lowered a bit already, but could be lower imho.

The alloy wheels are horrible and I've sold these already…….just experimenting with my Ren. Turbines…….

Just recently got my hands on a new battery tray from South Africa (not made in Europe now so SA is only source!) - via Crazy Quiffs.

I'm prepping the car for road use which is easier said than done as it had been stood 2 years before I got it, and now 6 months since I bought it.

Some pics from this weekend - eradicating any early rust on the front panel and tidying the engine bay and battery tray area……

Aged but not old.......

Back to the top
Ah L836 DNX i had that when it still had african plates on it,i registered it in the uk and sold it to paul in rotherham  :wink:
got a photo somewhere….

8)
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
Hey Bert that's bloody wicked mate!!
Yes, I bought it off Paul in Rotherham - I think he said he'd had a couple before too.
I am really intrigued to see it "as was" with the original rims too…….(don't suppose you have them still?).

The paint is flat as hell now - although I am literally just machine polishing the whole car this week……the bonnet has come up really nice!

I think Paul put lowering springs on it (or you did?) - however these were knocking like hell so I have refitted the rears with all right mounts and now it's mint again.

I don't know if you fitted the dash, but it's weirdly got a rear screen demister switch but no demister fitted!

I love the car to bits - it's a bit querky and not many (average) people have a clue what it is.

I have had an interesting time trying to get insurance as the V5c just lists it as a VW and no model designation.
Puts the insurers in a right old tizz…..which is all good fun :)

Thanks again for the pics :) :) :)
Foxy

Aged but not old.......

Back to the top
when i sold it it had the origional rims on still,the car was mint apart from a bit of rust from a leaking battery which i replaced,i also did 2 front wheel bearings,thats it,it was a very tidy car,no rust to be honest,i sold it with untouched mechanicals,
the dash…. no idea  :lol:
i just sold my citi at the nec last year,think pics are here somewhere on this thread  8)
Bert

Back to the top

Bert said

when i sold it it had the origional rims on still,the car was mint apart from a bit of rust from a leaking battery which i replaced,i also did 2 front wheel bearings,thats it,it was a very tidy car,no rust to be honest,i sold it with untouched mechanicals,
the dash…. no idea  :lol:
i just sold my citi at the nec last year,think pics are here somewhere on this thread  8)
Bert

Bert
I remember that White African import you had, it was mint.
Ste

Back to the top
Still got my very reliable citi.
Just took pic on phone camera so not best and she is abit dirty from wonderful weather were having up north  :lol:
Would love to own another.

Back to the top
Loving that colour!.........G60 steelies look great too :)

Aged but not old.......

Back to the top
Pedders..........the front chin spoiler looks interesting......is that a VWSA genuine accessory?

Aged but not old.......

Back to the top
hi fella,
           I originally fitted the mk3 golf vr6 lower spoiler but it seemed chunky which of course the mk3 is, but on a mk1 with slimer lines i looked at other's and eventually as seen and fitted is the mk3 golf cl spoiler which i personally believe really suits the front end.
I cut the centre to match dead on middle which was a pain, especially trying to not to over measure and cut too much off.
With the excess cut off i plastic welded it to the rear of the joint to keep in place.
Then spent roughly 2 hours applying a layer at a time of boot polish, let it dry, then buff to provide a nice finish.
I do this on all the plastic, arch and mirrors.
Not done the grill as much as is fiddly.
Bit of advice fella, get the surface rust if any wirebrushed off, and waxoil that baby like hell.
I have done arches flooring and do the doors inside, of course remove all the glass etc as water gets in doors easily due to design of mk1 seals, this will save the rust ever occuring at the bottom and door the boot lid also.
Where filler neck meets body, very important like same on all mk1's, undo the 3 screws so it comes away from the body, remove the filler pipe itself and cover the return pipe, jet wash the area as it collects dirt, mud, water etc under there and gut it, then waxoil.
It's all time consumming but it will prevent rust starting and being costly later on, thus keeping the cracking little beaut solid.
Have you got the cup holders in your centre console, i have and love em  :lol:
Pete :)

Back to the top
Pete

Did yours have (and has it now got) front wheel arch liners at all?

J

Aged but not old.......

Back to the top

Foxyjay said

Pete

Did yours have (and has it now got) front wheel arch liners at all?

J

my red one i just sold didnt have liners or the bbq hasnt,i fitted them in mine when i had it, once i had waxoiled the arches  8)
Bert

Back to the top
Like bert from whom taught me all about the citi when i first got mine, neither did mine have arch liners but i did same as bert.
Waxoil'd and then brought a pair and fitted them.
Pete  :wink:

Back to the top
Yer I think i'll be fitting some.
I've test-fitted Mk1 plastic bumpers and they fit fine but to get a Mk1 grille to fit, i'd need to swap the wings.
Not sure I want to embarque on that road.

Aged but not old.......
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.