Skip navigation

Performance Figures?

Back to the top

Performance Figures?

What sort of performance should a 1.8 GTi be acheiving when totally standard? - Bhp, Torque, 0-60 etc?

what easy and cheap mods can be made to increase the performance? apart from obvious boy racer k&n and exhaust?

Back to the top
From memory, 0-60 in 8.1 seconds and 112bhp (at the flywheel).

Back to the top
As for cheap bolt on mods that up the power.

Drill the standard airbox and fit a K&N style pannel filter.  Don't bother with an induction kit.

Fit a lareg butterly throttle and knife edge it - these are on later K-jet stuff like the Mk2 16v.  You can use Porsche 924 fuel injectors and a fuel pressure regulater (warm up valve) from a Passat.

You can also gas flow the standard exhaust manifold although you can pick up a 4-1 branch tubular manifold cheap enough.  Marry this up to something like a Magnex and you are cooking on gas.

After all that, stick a high(ish) lift camshaft in it (but get the followers shimmed) and get it tuned on the rollers.  Probs with an extra couple of degrees of ignition advance and you'll find you have 120/130bhp.  Your throttle response will also be much sharper.

However, bear in mind your fuel consumption will probably be affected - it's all a trade off.

Back to the top
my 1.8 does 0-60 in 4.3 seconds and has 200bhp :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
what do you mean by knife edging the butterfly? - making the edges sharp instead of square?

flippin eck ben - what you done to yours??!!

Back to the top

Steve_Matthews said

From memory, 0-60 in 8.1 seconds and 112bhp (at the flywheel).

That 0-60 time looks like its for the hatchback. 1.8 GTI is available as hatchback and cabby, I think the cabby did 0-60 in around 9 secs

Back to the top

Steve_Matthews said

As for cheap bolt on mods that up the power.

Drill the standard airbox and fit a K&N style pannel filter.  Don't bother with an induction kit.

Fit a lareg butterly throttle and knife edge it - these are on later K-jet stuff like the Mk2 16v.  You can use Porsche 924 fuel injectors and a fuel pressure regulater (warm up valve) from a Passat.

You can also gas flow the standard exhaust manifold although you can pick up a 4-1 branch tubular manifold cheap enough.  Marry this up to something like a Magnex and you are cooking on gas.

After all that, stick a high(ish) lift camshaft in it (but get the followers shimmed) and get it tuned on the rollers.  Probs with an extra couple of degrees of ignition advance and you'll find you have 120/130bhp.  Your throttle response will also be much sharper.

However, bear in mind your fuel consumption will probably be affected - it's all a trade off.

thats basicly the spec of my a plate gti it used a gallen more petrol than the y plate (standered later cabby engine) on a 100 mile round trip and they drove slowly so rajan could keep up on the way there

83 BBS MK1 GTI 69 T2 PANEL VAN i am back let the trouble begin :)

Back to the top

rossirvine said

what do you mean by knife edging the butterfly? - making the edges sharp instead of square?

flippin eck ben - what you done to yours??!!

it a 1.8 20v turbo engine  :lol:

Back to the top
"knife edge" means to just post the inlet to the throttle body, otherwise the extra opening the throttle body has will just hit a square surface which if anything take away power instead of increasing it

i ran that same setup (except i had/have a 4-2-1 supersprint mani. straight through centre pipe with a 2 3/4 rear box) on my 1.6, k&N, swiss cheese air box and a Kent 294 cam (GS25)… ran like pooh off a stick!

gonna be running the same setup on what will be my new 1.8 campaign… minus the cam for now  :(

is a good setup and quite cheap without the cam, very responsive on the throttle! loads of intake noise to tee hee :roll:

throttle body you want is one from a 2.2 Audi

'69 MG Midget 1275 (currently restoring, cammed and ported head) '81 Lhasa 1600 GTi - kent GS25 (294) cam, full supersprint mani back, filter, 2.2 throttle body '82 Audi 80 Sport '97 20VT Passat (AEB with a 57i) '84 Silver Campaign - DX but AEB coming

Back to the top
mmm….interesting……might have to find me one of these when i get it running ok  :lol: - which audi is it off? 80? or A4?

Back to the top
so just need to open out the flange on the plenum chamber up to match the throat on the throttle body?  Its ali aint it? will a dremel take this off easy enough of is there quite a bit of meat to get rid of?

and then do i need a bigger bore pipe back down to the meter head?

Back to the top
its off an audi 80 mate, mine come with my car but the previous owner never matched the inlet to it

any of the early 2.2's have the same style TB's on them, not sure whether they're 5 cylinder or 6 without looking into it but i think they have the CC badge on the boot lid

so, take a quick look down the scrappy and i'm sure you'll find one!

the plenum is cast ali so you can get through it with a semi corse file or a dremel, there's quite a bit to remove (you'll see if when you put the 2 together and open the butterflys), i wouldnt worry about pipe to the metering head as its at its largest circumference either end anyway, just make sure its tight with no air leaks

there's a bit of a debate whether it makes any difference to the performance, i say it does but even if it doesnt… whack a k&n panel filter in there and drill the hell out of the bottom of the air box (where the holes cant be seen if prefered) and the intake noise alone when you put your foot down is worth all the hastle on its own!  :mrgreen:  lol

it'll be worth taking her for a tune afterwards, i never got my old one done but when the engine (1.6) was put into an early audi 80 sport then tuned by ear by an ex Van Aarken techy), the damn tank kept up with my 20VT passat (0-60 in 8.5'ish)… thats without the throttle body, k&n, cam, inlet or exhaust… just completely standard… do the math and in a Mk1 with all the above that would have been QUICK quick  :banghead:

'69 MG Midget 1275 (currently restoring, cammed and ported head) '81 Lhasa 1600 GTi - kent GS25 (294) cam, full supersprint mani back, filter, 2.2 throttle body '82 Audi 80 Sport '97 20VT Passat (AEB with a 57i) '84 Silver Campaign - DX but AEB coming

Back to the top
lol!!! nice one - when ive finally got mine running half sensible i know what il be doing!!  :lol:

advantage is it will look standard to the missus so she wont have anything to complain about!! "I dont know what your talking about dear, I havent been messing, it must just be you thinking its a hell of a lot quicker!" he he he!!!

Back to the top

bens_cab said

my 1.8 does 0-60 in 4.3 seconds and has 200bhp ]

Is that a serious 0-60 time or a bit tongue in cheek? looking at various articles i have nothing else comes close, even ben leach,s 4wd 300bhp only claims 4.5 for this. With my own mk1 with less than 200bhp its just wheelspin.

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

bens_cab said

my 1.8 does 0-60 in 4.3 seconds and has 200bhp ]

Is that a serious 0-60 time or a bit tongue in cheek? looking at various articles i have nothing else comes close, even ben leach,s 4wd 300bhp only claims 4.5 for this. With my own mk1 with less than 200bhp its just wheelspin.

Its tongue in cheek, I reckon with the power and weight, he's only doing 0-60 in about 5.4 secs. My car is marginally quicker than his (not much in it) and my 0-60 time is 5.3 secs.

Back to the top
My standard 1.8 GTI did a 8.3 sec 0-62 in slight damp conditions.

Leon

82 Lhasa Green Golf Mk1 GTI

Back to the top

RT said

My standard 1.8 GTI did a 8.3 sec 0-62 in slight damp conditions.

Sounds about right. The problem with 0-60 figures is that 60mph is an arbitary figure and day-to-day, isn't that meaningful. Specifically, on a standard 1.8, you just need to change into 3rd to achieve 60mph, so you lose a little during the gearcvhange. If you could hit 60mph in 2nd, then it would be 'quicker'. VW were aware of this and changed the ratio of 2nd gear to allow 60mph, thus automatically improving this figure - however the ratio spacing wasn't quite optimal then so was it such a good idea?

Once you get into the likes of Ben's car (and mine) 0-60 time isn't such a critical thing, but it does give a useful comparison.

Back to the top
what engine is to achieve those sorts of times! I wouldn't mind one myself

Back to the top
THAT WAS TONGUE IN CHEEK

as paul said mine WAS slightly slower off the line than his last year but now ive managed to sort a few niggly boost issues and get some new rubber it shouldnt be far off the low 5 second mark

it also helps havvign the back of the car jacked up on the coilovers to stop any squat so we shall see

its quite supprising how quick pauls car is but then how much does a mk1 shell with just an engine and seat weigh :mrgreen:

Back to the top

bens_cab said

THAT WAS TONGUE IN CHEEK

as paul said mine WAS slightly slower off the line than his last year but now ive managed to sort a few niggly boost issues and get some new rubber it shouldnt be far off the low 5 second mark

it also helps havvign the back of the car jacked up on the coilovers to stop any squat so we shall see

its quite supprising how quick pauls car is but then how much does a mk1 shell with just an engine and seat weigh :mrgreen:

What do you mean shell? There was/is enough stuff to make the 400 mile round trip to/from Santa Pod for the spring festival? Its not that big a weight saving, there's plenty more to come off.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.