Skip navigation

Driver, to 16 valver, 2017 rebuild!

Back to the top

golf_coupe said

but still no pics lmao

There under wraps at the mo :wink:

Back to the top
Got some more done monday night and tonight.

Etch primed the g'box and inlet man'i.

Masked, (I quite enjoy the masking, think I must be mental!) and sprayed the rocker with thinned down engine enamel, came out better than I though, few dust marks, but will probably do more harm than good trying to get rid of them.

And got some por15 on the clutch lever and rear mount, ready for some satin black.

Still more spraying to do, but hopefully not too far away from rebuilding the engine, which i'm looking forward to.

Also i'm after a lightened flywheel for my 16v setup, if anyone has any suggestion/experience with them and best places to get one, please let me know ;)

Cheers

Pete

Back to the top
that rocker cover looks BRIGHT lol,good work.

I got a flywheel lightened and balanced using a local engine builders that i found in the yellow pages but any engineering shop should be able to help pete. I would say though to ask about their idea of 'lightened' entails. The machine shop I went too took the flywheel down to the manufacturers max skim specification which although lighter wasnt what i had in mind as the manufacturers spec is only a few hundred thou tbh :banghead:

Back to the top
stop sleeping and get on photo bucket lol,i want picture updates  :lol:

Back to the top

golf_coupe said

that rocker cover looks BRIGHT lol,good work.

I got a flywheel lightened and balanced using a local engine builders that i found in the yellow pages but any engineering shop should be able to help pete. I would say though to ask about their idea of 'lightened' entails. The machine shop I went too took the flywheel down to the manufacturers max skim specification which although lighter wasnt what i had in mind as the manufacturers spec is only a few hundred thou tbh :banghead:

The annoying thing is i used to work in a machine shop, on CNC lathes and mills, and maual stuff, it was sound, but i've left now, will have a word with some ppl i know.

There will be pics soon, want to get a bit more done first,  :wink:

Pete

Back to the top

golf_coupe said

stop sleeping and get on photo bucket lol,i want picture updates  :lol:

Lol!

I hate photobucket, everytime im mid way tho loading photos my internet times out :banghead: , the ive got to work out which ones did'nt download, does my head in!

Back to the top
i hate their bulk uploader,mucks up the chronological order of the pics :(

ususally just end up doing them one by one while im surfing  :D

Back to the top
Well Ive been a bit of a lazy git of late, but still have some updated pics,

And im feed up of cleaning and spraying bits lol!

More por 15,

Inlet sprayed gloss black.

G'box Sprayed,

More bits cleaned up and sprayed,

Starting to rebuild the head,

Grinding in the valves,

Showing ground in valve seat, against one I haven't done yet.

The tool I made up to insert the new stem seals,

New seals going in,

Springs and collets going in,

Tappets in awaiting cams and new timing chain,

Head completed,

Now onto the Bottom end,

And how my mk1 currently looks,

Will be dropping the crank in soon, then pistons etc, will try and keep it updated as much as poss.

Cheers for looking.

Pete

Back to the top
I <3 U  :oops:

Back to the top

golf_coupe said

lol! U 2 :lol:

Need to crack on now!

Back to the top
Looking good. Those mounts are like brand new now :lol:

Back to the top

MR_LONG said

Looking good. Those mounts are like brand new now :lol:

Yea :D

Cheers for those.

Just need to buy some new rubbers for them.

Back to the top

redpetemk1 said

golf_coupe said

lol! U 2 :lol:

Need to crack on now!

hahaha,i blew a core plug today so i need to get cracking too

Back to the top
Looking good, reminds me of doing mine!  :D
Bet you cant wait to drive it!

Mars red 1982 16v KR Conversion!

View topic: My 1982 16v - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top

MK1Allan said

Looking good, reminds me of doing mine!  :D
Bet you cant wait to drive it!

Cheers mate, your mk1 is sweet.

I cant wait to drive it, have'nt driven it since Nov 06 :?

Pete

Back to the top
thats not bad pete,the only time i ever drove my mk1 jetta was @95 when it got towed to a friends house,its been trailered just about ever since

builds are great,especially when theyre over  :lol:

Back to the top
great build mate and thats some dedication that mate building a garage just for your mk1 lol i ruined my grandparents front garden to build a drive way for mine lol they wasn't to happy when i f+*ked it up lol.

how did you manage to get the block that clean did you use that rust converter? that looks good stuff that and good value at ?18 ish.

great reading
gaz

keep on dubbing

Back to the top

golf_coupe said

thats not bad pete,the only time i ever drove my mk1 jetta was @95 when it got towed to a friends house,its been trailered just about ever since

builds are great,especially when theyre over  :lol:

I've never seen your jetta :cry:  :D

The best bit of the build is looking at the finished result, and thinking I did that, (depandent on it going right :lol: )

gaz_mk1 said

great build mate and thats some dedication that mate building a garage just for your mk1 lol i ruined my grandparents front garden to build a drive way for mine lol they wasn't to happy when i f+*ked it up lol.

how did you manage to get the block that clean did you use that rust converter? that looks good stuff that and good value at ?18 ish.

great reading
gaz

Yea the garage was a mission, but so nice to work in. The block was chemcial cleaned at the engine reco'd place where i had the machine work done. The rust convertor stuff worked better than i thought really, it's pretty good.

Bit more progress last night, Brakes, wishbones, tie rods, hubs all off the car and dismanteled. Gonna give me fk's a little clean up to.

Should get some sound progress this wkend, hopefully hangovers pending!

Pete

Back to the top
best of luck for the weekend then

now get cracking and stop typing  :lol:  :cheer:

Back to the top
Bit more done, so a few more pics,

New bearing shells being fitted, (When fitting No.4 bearing cap the shell had a oil way, like the ones in the crankcase? But my set of shells had all solid for the caps, so I fitted a solid in it's place. Might be different because it's right under the oil pick up? Anyone know?)

Shells going in,

Crank in, caps torqued up and end float checked.

Fitted front flange thingie, new seal and gasket. Need new bolts as old ones started to stretch as they were doing up, I thought my torque wrench was broke lol! One nearly snapped, mind you they managed 180k plus in there so far, time for new ones.

Stripped front hubs, wishbones etc, gonna replace with new wishbones, tie rods etc, and swap to gti shafts. Got the collies undone ready for a clean up.

A sneaky pic of one of the sets of rollers ive got for this,

I need sleep now, will keep it updated, sound :D

Pete
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.