Skip navigation

Driver, to 16 valver, 2017 rebuild!

Back to the top
i got all my water pipes done at the start of the week,was bac at the garage yesterday and the clutch lever on the 020 box feels decidely slack(thin corpse)so reckon im goin to have to drop the box and pop the end cap to re-fit the spring(again)watch how your handlin your box mate  8)

Back to the top
Ive just removed the clutch lever, to replace release bearing, and will also replace the seal which the clutch lever goes thro. next up is spraying the gear box.

Back to the top

redpetemk1 said

Ive just removed the clutch lever, to replace release bearing, and will also replace the seal which the clutch lever goes thro. next up is spraying the gear box.
that could be the bit im strugglin with,lever itself feels like a wet rag and just flaps about where i think there should be some resistance,i think the spring on the lever inside the endcap has fell off but im hoping to hell not 8)

Back to the top
Yeah may need clipping back on the lever bit.

Back to the top
damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that was a complete pain in the nuts job when it was seperated and on the floor  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Back to the top
Some more progress…

More paint stripping

Using some rust converter stuff. (Heard you can use vinegar as well, how well does this work?)

Parts before being cleaned up and dipped

After a couple of days in the converter stuff

This shows part of the mount that was dipped as a comparison, (works quite well i think)

Cleaned the block up ready for paint.

Got a couple of coats on.

Still working my way through all the bits that need cleaning and spraying/painting.

Finally got hold of some 90mm flanges (and another g'box and shafts lol!), so made up a tool to remove them.

Flanges out.

Finished prepping the gearbox for paint and masked it up.

Also masked up lower inlet piece for paint.

This was me, this time last year knocking the old garage down, for the mk1 to have a nice new home/workshop, most my mates think i'm mental putting this much effort into a car lol!

Cheers for looking.

Pete.

Back to the top
Good work mate coming on well. 8)

I like that tool you made to remove the drivecups,I used a large g clamp LOL

76 ?
78 gls
83 gti 5v

Back to the top

mark83 said

Cheers mark, ive been ill at the mo, which is annoying as ive done nothing :(

Tho i'm still on for picking my new wheels up on sat, which are staying a secret till it's on the road  :wink:   

When do you reckon you'll be cruising in the 20v?

Pete

Back to the top
nice build thread.. I like the rust converter stuff its worked well good, whats the name of that product?

Back to the top
are you painting the full inlet again pete or just the lower portion?Never to ill to get new wheels eh lmao :lol:

Back to the top
Wheels come first,    then health  :?

Back to the top

redpetemk1 said

mark83 said

Tho i'm still on for picking my new wheels up on sat, which are staying a secret till it's on the road  :wink:   

Pete
I had guessed you had bought those wheels  nice one :wink:

Hopefully cruising early next year  8)

76 ?
78 gls
83 gti 5v

Back to the top

golf_coupe said

are you painting the full inlet again pete or just the lower portion?Never to ill to get new wheels eh lmao :lol:

Yea i'm painting the whole inlet mani' gloss black, i'm using normal paint as I will be spraying it myself, will this be alright with the heat? I guess it will get hot but not that to effect the paint? (I hope!)

The rust converter stuff is made the same people who make por 15, can be got thro' a company called Frosts.

Yea i feel like crap but nothings stopping me getting my new wheels :D

Back to the top

mark83 said

redpetemk1 said

mark83 said

Pete
I had guessed you had bought those wheels  nice one :wink:

Hopefully cruising early next year  8)

Mine will probably be ready after xmas if all goes to plan, then get yours running and we can cruise to some shows next year, and then ill want a 20v lol!

Back to the top
just turbo the kr dude  :wink:

Back to the top

golf_coupe said

just turbo the kr dude  :wink:

Stop putting ideas in my head :D

In fact i know of a rebuilt raddo 16v engine, rebuilt with new rods low compression pistions etc,…..I was offered, but that may be another project, (wallet crys :cry: )

Back to the top
hahaha  8)

Back to the top
Did you get your wheels  mate?

Have you tryed them on the car?

76 ?
78 gls
83 gti 5v

Back to the top

mark83 said

Did you get your wheels  mate?

Have you tryed them on the car?

Yea got them on sat, look sweet :wink: , tyres are good so less to worry bout.
Havent tried them on as rear beams off, and and front struts are hanging about, but will send you a pic with something mocked up.

Back to the top
but still no pics lmao
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.