Skip navigation

VDO Gauges

Back to the top

VDO Gauges

If I was to fit some VDO gauges to my Rivage GTi what would I need to connect up and oil pressure gauge? I think that the volt meter just needs and power supply, dead easy but what would I need for the oil one. The clocks that i'm thinking of using are out of a Vauxhall Calibra.

Back to the top
Here you go . Oil pressure sender required , pics from forum member Eck .   

Back to the top
Right, i've now bought the vdo gauges.

Next step, where do I get the oil pressure sender from? Where does it go etc. I'm not the best under the bonnet, but have a basic knowledge and am very keen to get up to speed with my beaut of a rivage.

Back to the top
OK, i'm stupid.

Just looked on GSF & eBay,
GSF list these:

93447 OIL PRES SWITCH  VW/AUDI PETROL ENGS 98> 1 PIN BLACK(1.2>1.6 BAR)  4.50
93448 OIL PRES SWITCH  VW/AUDI PETROL ENGS 98> 1 PIN GREEN(0.30>0.60 BAR)  5.60
93449 OIL PRES SWITCH  VW/AUDI DIESEL ENGS 98> 1 PIN BROWN(0.55>0.85 BAR)  5.60
93450 OIL PRES SWITCH  VW/AUDI DIESEL ENGS 98> 1 PIN GREY(0.75>1.05 BAR)  5.00

93440 OIL PRESSURE SWITCH  G1 >7/78  2.50
93441 OIL PRESSURE SWITCH  G1 All  2.70  
93441A OIL PRESSURE SWITCH(BLUE)  G1 All  2.50
93443 OIL PRESSURE SWITCH  G1 All  2.70

Am I barking up the wrong tree? :dontknow:

Back to the top
Your barking mate  :lol:

Seriously look for the Audi item with 2 senders on it as per the picture you can then retain your existing oil light . It replaces the existing sender  . Ebay ? If not …….

Google bigboystoys vw they do all sorts of senders and should help .

Back to the top
I now know what sender you're on about. With the two outputs. But where abouts does it go? Where do I look to find the one to replace?

Back to the top

replaces the 'dynamic oil pressure switch' The high pressure one on top of the oil filter .

:) cheers……..

Back to the top
So the dials have arrived, here they are.

I have also been to my local audi dealer and looked up the oil pressure sender out of an Audi 80.

They said that there were 2. Which one do I need?

035 919 561     Oil pressure gauge sender     0-5/0,3BAR  ?56 + VAT

035 919 561 A  Oil pressure gauge sender     0-5/1,8BAR  ?61 + VAT

Back to the top
Thats expensive

Top one i would say . Tried scrappy's ?

Back to the top
I'm toying with the idea of fitting some ancillary guages to my Scirocco, and stumbled across this outfit:

http://www.etbinstruments.com/index.htm

They do their own range of instruments and senders as well as VDO. Their prices seem reasonable too, if you do give them a call I'd be interested to hear what you thought of their service.

Cheers
Chris

Chris

1990 Scirocco GTII

2001 Jag S Type 4.0V8

Back to the top
For what its worth.. I finished up getting an oil pressure sender from the USA. You need 0-5 bar (80 PSI). It screws in the end of the block. Dealer is Don,s motor sport. at www.eGauges.com. Part 360-006 M10x1K thread with a 7PSI low oil pressure switch. This sends a variable signal to the gauge and has a contact for the low oil pressure light. Cost 28 USDollars for sender & 20 USD for shipping. hope this helps.

Beetle restoration. Cabrio GTi (black and shiny). Golf driver.
16v MK2. (Oak green) Now on a Clipper (to keep). Audi A8 4.2 Quattro sport and a BMW R65 bike.

Back to the top
VW part No for oil pressure sender...035 919 561 0-5 bar. M10 thread. 2 pin.

16v MK2. (Oak green) Now on a Clipper (to keep). Audi A8 4.2 Quattro sport and a BMW R65 bike.

Back to the top
Had a look at the e-gauges web site, I think that I?ll use them as they seem pretty good on price.  :mrgreen: I can imagine that The VW prices are about the same as the Audi ones, if they're not obsolete that is. Is there any way of checking VW parts catologue online? :dontknow:

Back to the top
Not as far as I know. We get the part number from a VW system called EKTA which is on CD. The dealers though have an online version where they get their prices. Just give a VW dealer a ring with the part number to find out. VW and Audi will be the same but as this is Britian I think you will find that the US price will be cheaper. Keep smiling. J.

Back to the top
you can get access to etka via the web, just need to register.

available from http://www.vagcat.com/

1988 1.8 carb Golf Clipper

Back to the top
Thanks DJ..you learn something every day.

Back to the top
That be proper good, cheers just registered and had a good root around. I can see myself spending alot of money!

Back to the top
After fitting my oil pressure  guage and sender, both bought second hand, the gauge goes all the way to the right when the ignition is turned on. Even when the engine runs the needle doesn't move anywhere. The sender has been fittied on the top of the filter housing and both gauge and sender are 0-5 bar items.

Hoping that someone can shed some light on the problem.

Back to the top

gauges

Hi I had the same trouble when I wirin in my gauges as per the vdo site, I swopped the earth and the sender wires around and now their perfect. If they are older ones the wiring positions are different look for the symbols on the back of the gauges.
Alex

Back to the top
I'll give it ago and see if it sorts thing out.

Cheers
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.