Skip navigation

education

Back to the top

education

ive had it with i.t - ive decided to do something ive always wanted to - learn to paint.

im pretty handy with a spraycan, but i want to learn to spray body work, mix  the paint, the whole schebang, who knows, if i manage it, culd be a nice little discount for the mk1 site.

so anyway, anyone know how i go about this? im a bit lost to say the least.

Back to the top
could do bodywork at college? or ask around garages for courses?

Back to the top
Here you go,good luck,how much for bonnet spray? :D

http://www.cityofbrist…&classid=29&subclassid=58

Speeding is like masturbation, everyone does it ,but it's not something you should record and put on the internet!! 

Back to the top
cheers collo - depends and how much the paint costs and the time envolved... oh and if im actually able to learn!

Back to the top
do we have any body work guys on here? - aside from timski who im sure ill see soon as his doing my car.

Back to the top
I do bodywork!!!!

1988 convertible  sapphireblau
ChipsAway -- Car Scratch Repair - Smart Repairs
chipsawaybelper@aol.com

Back to the top
buy yourself a reasonable gun and compressor and get some practice in. ask at our local spray shop for some cheap paint not bothered about colour most will have a few tins they want rid off that a customer hasn't been happy with. spraying is more of an art form than a job and it's all about preperation and feel you can't really teach it you can learn the basics of what to do but you have teach yourself how to use the kit and the best way to control different paints and guns. most spray guys i know have a cheap gun they started with and still use it to do the odd job just to keep there hand in so to speak. they also have the best they can get as there day to day and take it with them if they move spray shops (i know a few custom bike sprayers that do contract work with custom builders).

Back to the top

robdcfc1 said

I do bodywork!!!!

ok, where are you and can i pop down to watch?

Back to the top
There was a good series on spraying, in Car Mechanics recently.

Back to the top
im geting a spray set and a compressor ,as i would like to have a go at spraying id even like to leave my job and do it for a living.
i did help with the prep on my mk1 as a frend done it for me but im gona spray my 1972 beetle :lol:

Back to the top

novocaine said

buy yourself a reasonable gun and compressor and get some practice in. ask at our local spray shop for some cheap paint not bothered about colour most will have a few tins they want rid off that a customer hasn't been happy with. spraying is more of an art form than a job and it's all about preperation and feel you can't really teach it you can learn the basics of what to do but you have teach yourself how to use the kit and the best way to control different paints and guns. most spray guys i know have a cheap gun they started with and still use it to do the odd job just to keep there hand in so to speak. they also have the best they can get as there day to day and take it with them if they move spray shops (i know a few custom bike sprayers that do contract work with custom builders).

Sounds similar to tattooing

Back to the top
very much so lawsy. takes the same amount of time to get good at aswell. i think it's one of those skills you kind of either have or dont have. i can spray and get a good finish (last spray job was a bike which was a real pain) but i know i will never be amazing at it. some people just have the skill and there the guys you really want to spray your car not the people who do it for job and thats it. weve got a few of those round here and i will never let them spray for me.

so yes getting back to the point very much like tattoo artists (an artist being the guy who will spent hours on a design and practice for hours till he is at the level he is happy with) artist's tend to work as either a contractor or in a studio. where as the other sort works in a parlor or big chain of rubbish tattoo and peiceing places.

Back to the top
do an apprentership? however its spelt lol

'83 1.5 Gx (picture coming soon)

Back to the top

Skipback said

robdcfc1 said

I do bodywork!!!!

ok, where are you and can i pop down to watch?

Bit of a trek fella I'm in derby!!!!

1988 convertible  sapphireblau
ChipsAway -- Car Scratch Repair - Smart Repairs
chipsawaybelper@aol.com

Back to the top
Guys, now I'm in my second year at a medical university, I am writing an essay about obesity. In an era where calories are cheap, yet nutrients quite expensive, it’s no surprise, really, that obesity is on the rise in many countries. This issue is compounded by the prevalence of sedentary lifestyles and lack of opportunities for exercise. Apart from the aesthetic complaints of pop culture, often obesity is correlated with serious health problems like heart disease and diabetes with long-term public health repercussions. If you need examples of essays on such a topic and the like, you can go here https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-examples/obesity/. Look samples of papers on the internet to get a sense of how you want to write your potential argumentative essays. Create an outline, and from there make an essay with an introduction, body and conclusion.

Last edit: by Xima

Back to the top

MK1_Arron said

do an apprentership? however its spelt lol

We do bodywork/restorations.

This is the best way to go about it if you're interested in a career change. You'll need the qualifications if you want to get into a decent body shop.

Other than that finding a small local place might be somewhere to ask for advice in exchange for some time/help.

Back to the top
To be an apprentice you'll need a job (paid and FT) and if over 18 its difficult, they want cheap kids or East Europeans that can bring in £profit from day one. FE college/training providers also want 16-18 apps has they are worth lots more £ income to them than adults.

If you are 24 or over and already qualified to L2 (5xGCSEs) you'll have to pay for courses at college unless you are on Job seekers benefit. If already qualified to L3 (A Levels) you'll need to pay or take out a loan for another L3 course even if 18-23.

Good luck

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Am i missing something, why all of a sudden advice for an  11 and a 1/2 year old post..

Back to the top
Looks like it was triggered by the spam/scam.

And what did he end up doing, is he running a chain of bodyshops now???

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
When I was really young, my Father let me try my hand at body work with Lead, a Blow-Torch, wood paddles and beeswax…..I was 5 years old and he was restoring a 29 Ford Model T… In the late 50's Bondo was a wishful thing but Lead was the go to after beating the metal into shape….
He showed me how to file, and sand as well.

After I bought my first Car, 58-Bug-eye Sprite (y'all call then Frog-eye) I rode my bike to a body shop, getting the ok to watch them work…After abotu 3 months watching, they let me do some work on a car under supervision…..Learned a lot watching, then doing….  It allowed me to work on my 58, then my 67 Midget…. my Midget had a few rust spots on the hood that I had to cut out and repair…at 15 I was beating tin, welding, and doing fibre-glass and bondo like a pro…….

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.