Skip navigation

Coilovers? Are the cheapies worth it?

Back to the top

Coilovers? Are the cheapies worth it?

Back to the top
yep indeedy mc yep yep. aye for sure totally.

or yes if that makes more sense

Back to the top
I have a set fitted. Yes they are quite harsh on the rough stuff but other than that I can't fault them. And there not as bouncy as some make out.

Handles like a go cart, next to no body roll (even without anti roll bars) and very easy to adjust.

Greased mine up with that spray grease as Im not fussed what they look like. Just got to see how long they last.

Oh, and they go really, really low. The first night I put them on, I had them at the lowest they can go. I was hitting man hole covers  :twisted:

WOund them up a tad the next day  :D

Back to the top
hmm, mite get me a set of these...

Back to the top
i've got the hottuning ones from ebay
a mate of mine had a campaign and he
payed twice what i payed and his bounced
allover the place, not sure what make they were
mine a very comfortable for how low she
is as for corrision i only bought coilovers
to get my car low so don't need to adjust em.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
what was the end result in these then???
im really thinkin of gettin some

who else has got them??

just need convincing really?

cheers
sam

Back to the top
hi ive had mine for a few weeks now and for the ?165 that i paid for them they cant be beaten ive lowered mine as low as poss with 15s and the ride is fine, to make things even better i ordered the coilovers on the wenesday and they where delivered on the friday morning.
well worth the money

Back to the top
i put a set of these on my mk1 a week ago and cant fault them! its a bit too low at the moment its on little wide 14's and the middle section of the exhaust keeps touching the ground on bumpy roads. go to the hottuning shop on ebay and put an offer in for ?150 i ended up gettin haggled up to ?160
mite be worth getting a pair of wheel spacers and longer wheel nuts for the fronts cos mine needed 10mm spacers to clear the springs but i have got 8 inch wide rims on the front and 9's on the back

Back to the top
Hi sam_m, do you remember me from ultimate dubs? you lent me a tenner! I've bought a set of the hottunning ones, got them for ?160 all in, made them an offer and they accepted! 8O I've since bought some febi top mountes and spacers, ?30.20. And some fitting kits from VW, the bolts at the bottom (camber kit and new washers etc) and new rubber tops for the rears, ?46. Oh and some chain wax ?6. So for about ?240, you can adjust the ride height as much as you want. Now to me thats a bargain You can spend double that for just the coilovers! If they only last  couple of years, i'm happy. But if you look after them, they'd last much much longer.

Back to the top
Get um, ive got some.

Ive actually got 2 pairs if you intrested in a cheaper one, no c spanner though.

Back to the top

coilovers

Hi
Got a set of cheap coilovers on german ebay.

Quality is good ,but at the front ,when wound down quite a lot, I figure they have no travel left, the only give is in the top mounts…!
Measurements seem to back this up….

I have noticed other mk 1 s that are definitely sitting lower..

Do some coilovers have a shorter shock body ?
( Mine measure approx 320mm overall )

Back to the top
if you want it really really low you can remove the helper springs from the dampers - so theres only the bigger spring on the shock and ditch the smaller one. it stiffens the ride up too i think im gonna do this on the back end cos my tyres keep touching the arches but i like the height that its at. be careful if you go too low tho i wound mine down all the way and the sump was scraping on everything - i have got a 2 litre 16v in mine tho

Back to the top
save your money just cut the springs,if its just 4 looks, :roll: (no dont)

Back to the top
i fitted these and im well chuffed, simple easy job to do and set up, and drove 600miles over the weekend very comfortably, cant go wrong for the price. just make sure you coat them with summin

Back to the top
took the helper springs off the back end and the rides a thousand times better! nice and stiff and the wheels have stopped touchin the arches!

Back to the top

dave_dub86 said

took the helper springs off the back end and the rides a thousand times better! nice and stiff and the wheels have stopped touchin the arches!

tht doesn't sound like a particularly good idea to me i thought the helper spring was there so that if the shocker has to extend the helper spring also extends and stops the spring from just flapping about??

Back to the top
mot failure.

Back to the top

novocaine said

mot failure.

thought it sounded a bit dodgy…..

Back to the top

rustys_mk1 said

dave_dub86 said

tht doesn't sound like a particularly good idea to me i thought the helper spring was there so that if the shocker has to extend the helper spring also extends and stops the spring from just flapping about??

no mate its there to smoothen out the ride. i know what you mean about the shock extending, but i checked this as i wound the single spring up and it was still tight when the shock was fully extended. if you wound it all the way down so the car was as low as possible i think youre right and the spring wouldnt reach both ends of the shock when extended but its fine where i have it.

Back to the top
I belive the spring can't be loose when its hiked up for MOT….I just raise teh coilies for MOT time  8)

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.