Skip navigation

Is it worth ?10k ? Discuss...I know you want to

Back to the top

Is it worth ?10k ? Discuss...I know you want to

allana13 said

Well to be honnest with ?10k in my Pocket i would rather Import the Citi Golf GTI from South Africa. I know they are a bit more expy then ?10k but i know they will not not rust as quick as the series 1 golf…  just my view though….

Cheers 8)

have you seen the CIti Golf though? looks like a cross between a mk1 golf and a kia pride! lol. the interior is nasty.

I must say, if i HAD to buy this one or a citi golf for 10k it would be this one.

Back to the top

vw_golf_nutter said

allana13 said

Well to be honnest with ?10k in my Pocket i would rather Import the Citi Golf GTI from South Africa. I know they are a bit more expy then ?10k but i know they will not not rust as quick as the series 1 golf…  just my view though….

Cheers 8)

have you seen the CIti Golf though? looks like a cross between a mk1 golf and a kia pride! lol. the interior is nasty.

I must say, if i HAD to buy this one or a citi golf for 10k it would be this one.

I agree they look like awfull!!

Must admit I wouldnt buy a 10k mk1 at all would rather have a 2k one that can be driven and enjoyed without worrying about every little mark or stonechip

Back to the top
like i said it just my view  :mrgreen:

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
the last citi golf did not meet euro safety standards so you wouldn't be importing it sorry.

Back to the top
Yes i sure aint importing it mate as i dont have the cash :(

But i could coz there is a company in Bristol that could do the Mods to make it meet the Euro specs… besides there are not too many mods that need to be done. They did import the Beetel too…. Anyway this is jus for info  8)

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Yeah definitely worth ?10K. Maybe even more, worth loads more in black I would think.

Peter.

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top
I put the price guide together a couple of years ago, I don't think prices have changed too much and most cars for sale I have seen fit in the ranges, though if you see any cars (physically) that you think don't fit in let me know. I based it on cars that I had seen for sale, other guides from magazines, valuations from classic car experts like Quentin Wilson, etc. It is only a guide (not a valuation) for many reasons, most notably

- you can't value a car without seeing it (most valuation services will not go off pics, etc)
- it is for standard cars. Most cars have some sort of modification which can change the valuation
- there are always exceptions e.g. a car in Cat A might still have some very valuable parts in good condition and hence worth more.

With regard to importing Citi Golfs you could not buy one for ?10 by the time you have paid shipping, import duty and modified it for UK regulations.

I hope Roger Vinten's car finds a good home.

Banner

Back to the top

novocaine said

the last citi golf did not meet euro safety standards so you wouldn't be importing it sorry.

How many times?!  Just because a car doen't have a T-certificate doesn't mean you can't ESVA them!  You can register pretty much ANYTHING - lets face it, that's all most kit cars are.  How many more times am I going to read that you can't import a Citi because the T-certs expired at the end of 2005?!

Back to the top
you can import it but you will have to have a single vehicle test aswell as bring the vehicle upto standards which include's lights, emissions, brakes, suspension and a few other bits that need to be altered for the uk. seems a bit pointless don't you think. and will be closer to 20 G by the time you've done it all.

Back to the top
Even with SVA or ESVA there are certain Type Approval requirements that apply depending on age of car. I would imagine emissions will be the hardest, SA are on Euro2 while we are on Euro4.

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

Even with SVA or ESVA there are certain Type Approval requirements that apply depending on age of car. I would imagine emissions will be the hardest, SA are on Euro2 while we are on Euro4.

Be easy enough to sort that out though.  I suspect it'd pass straight away anyway.  It's going to be on injection with a cat which is more than some kit cars run!

Back to the top
At the end of the day, its a good thing if the value of mk1 golfs rises and stays strong.

Believe me…after being a member of the manta forum for a while, they are only too glad that prices are rising.

Because it means that an already rare car is less prone to being broken for parts, and hence more survive.

I paid 5k for YTV117Y in 2001 i think it was, and it would be pretty dissapointing if our golfs haven't appreciated in value at all after that amount of time.

Neil.

Volksdevil.com - Gone but not forgotten | CorradoG60.co.uk

Back to the top
i know of 3 mk1s 10k in value AND tbh honest if they didnt sell for that im pretty sure the sellers are happy to keep em

i wouldnt take less than 5k for mine and it no way worth that i put that value on it due to the blood and sweat that went into it :wink:

Back to the top

tallpete said

Yeah definitely worth ?10K. Maybe even more, worth loads more in black I would think.

Peter.

You're not bias are you? :lol:

Banner

Back to the top

Steve_Matthews said

dubboy said

Be easy enough to sort that out though.  I suspect it'd pass straight away anyway.  It's going to be on injection with a cat which is more than some kit cars run!

Technically the car itself would probably be okay with minimal mods, unfortunately there is quite a lot of red tape in the way these days. You'd need to have some kind of technical report drawn up, to a certain standard, which demonstrates that it meets the latest requirements etc and this can only be done by around 4 places. They charge quite a lot of money (think in the range ?10,000 and up) for this kind of thing. Its been done before, for some Japanese performance cars, eg by an independent importer. AFAIK its not been done for the CitiGolf so there's no "model report" you can buy off the shelf (these still cost a lot, around ?500) as yet.

Back to the top
It would appear there are some very pessimistic enthusiasts out there with regards to this car and others like it. Which will become my point; there aren't many like it!

Having established that there are very few mk1's left on our roads, how many are the famous GTI and then how many are 1980 cars?
Your numbers will soon fall quite rapidly when you factor in cars with less than 100,000 miles use and then again they will fall well into lower double digits for cars of that condition.

How many people have actually restored a mk1 GTI to that condition, from that year?

How many of you value the accuracy of the car, and that all the details are correct bar a couple of cheap fixes?

Your restoration costs will likely exceed the asking price of what we should all recognise as a very rare car.
Yes, there are faults to be noticed by the trained eye. But that same eye, should also recognise the ease with which they can be corrected.

If this car wasn't for sale and you wanted a 1980 GTI in that condition, then will all the non-believers please produce it for me…

…you will find that it is not available.

The wheels incidentally were a dealer option in 1980 and are correct.
The spotlights are a D&W aftermarket item, that is easily changed.
The tailgate decal is painted, so put a correct decal over it!
The foglight is dealer fitted and could be removed.
Paint the engine tinwear and switch the boot and floor mats.
What's that, a few hundred quid's work?

…Very lovely car.

1980 Mars Red GTI BRMotorsport 142
1983 Black GTI

Back to the top

benandemu said

What's that, a few hundred quid's work?

…Very lovely car.

yea a few hundreds worth after the 10 k he wants for it. an people more than likley put more than that into a decent restoration. However not all in 1 go over a year say? some more than that if its just a weekend job. and then thers the pride in looking at the finished artice " yes i build that badass"

if you wer to buy this 10k car (in amazing condition) what could you do with it? put it in a de-humidified garage take it out for shows? its a collectors item. most people on this site would argue a cars for driving. also as someone stated you would be scared to park it anywhere. say you take it to 4 shows a year thts 2500 a show. if you did that you would proberly trailor it ther anyway.

its an amazing example, however the only love you could put into it is by looking at it. everycar that is owned by a member of the owners club has got his/hers blood sweat tears (& money) in it. which is all together more satisfying that looking at that.

IN MY OPINION

Back to the top
Well at the end of the day it?s his car he can command whatever price he wants for it. If some1 wants to get it at that price they can if not leave it…. I guess that?s how it works???

One thing though is for sure it will be very very difficult to find a car in this condition & originality.

Cheers

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
?10K is getting close to tackle like this;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PORSCHE-911-3-2-CARRERA-CONVERTIBLE-BLUE-FULL-HISTORY_W0QQitemZ350025959044QQihZ022QQcategoryZ29758QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think I'd stretch the extra 10%-ish to have the 6 cylinder car…..

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
I think another problem is that many people don't realise the costs and how difficult it is to find good condition parts for these cars when it comes to restoration. It's a reason why the early cars are worth a lot more than the later ones, same as any other classic e.g. E-types

Realistically nice original examples will only fetch good money with collectors now. Fortunately the early GTis have all the heritage to become a valuable collector's classic.

Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.