Skip navigation

Outbid at last sec...edit

Back to the top

Outbid at last sec...edit

…been after this for ages…but HOW did the guy know my max bid????..AND it was done at the VERY last second !!!! :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

edit: sorry that came out wrong - I was SO annoyed….just that it was THE VERY LAST SECOND…as I was about to up my max !!!!!!!!!

Wanted to transfer to DVD and make it available to Club members….FOC

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/…iewItem&item=180207513023

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Owning a Mk1 cabby is a vertical learning curve…

1989 Mk1 Clipper 1.8 automatic - Sadly now up for sale - medical issues dictate)

1999 (Nov) Passat S Saloon 1.9 TDI (AFN) - TUG 1 (Remap by CCC ( - **** …..change pants !!) with cruise control

2000 (Mar) Passat Sport Estate 1.9 TDI (ATJ) 5 speed automatic with Tiptronic - TUG 2 (Remap and cruise control by CCC)

Back to the top
Thats a shame mate, he may not habve known your max bid, but if he bidded higher it would just outbid you..
Its a trick on ebay that loads od, me included, leave till dying seconds and put in a high bid, gives those who havent alreayd entered a max bid a chance..
Its sneaky, but I've learnt over years if i really want something just to wait till last seconds and then place what ever i'm prepared to, and if your going to bid say 31.00, add a few pence , it normally helps,

Back to the top
I think you can also get software that does it for you? :dontknow:

Its a sod anyway when it happens!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Oh well….keep looking…if anyone here knows of a copy anywhere…..
Maybe he's one of us ???? :dontknow:  :dontknow:

Owning a Mk1 cabby is a vertical learning curve…

1989 Mk1 Clipper 1.8 automatic - Sadly now up for sale - medical issues dictate)

1999 (Nov) Passat S Saloon 1.9 TDI (AFN) - TUG 1 (Remap by CCC ( - **** …..change pants !!) with cruise control

2000 (Mar) Passat Sport Estate 1.9 TDI (ATJ) 5 speed automatic with Tiptronic - TUG 2 (Remap and cruise control by CCC)

Back to the top
I'm sure there's a program available, think its called snipe or sniper  :dontknow:  that lets you place your bid with literally seconds remaining.

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

I think you can also get software that does it for you? :dontknow:

This is the software you have to put your details into to work. :|

Call me cynical but I wouldn't like to put my login details into some bit of software that may have been made by anyone anywhere.

Yradave says relax.

Back to the top
Didn't realise that Dave!! 8O  I woldn't feel comfortable with that!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
If you've put in your max, which is best not doing, wait to last minute and put in a bid your prepared to pay and you believe is worth it.
The way people can find your max bid is if you place one, they for example keeping putting bids in until they become the highest bidder.
Once they are, they look in the bid history and see what your max was, then they retract there bids as thou the have never put a bid in, this does not stop them from bidding again, but it will say at the bottom of list of bids who has retracted there bids, usually say's put in wrong amount.
Thats how it's done bud.
I have looked at bidding list and this has not happened, they have simply put in ?40 i believe as a max last minute or 10 secs as i do to make sure no more bids can counter his in order for him to win
Pete :wink:

Back to the top
the way its probably done, and i have to say i do it too, is to put the item on watch, then right click on the link and select "open link in new window". You've now got the same thing in 2 windows. have them both up at the same time on the screen, half each, you can now watch and refresh on one window and on the second window, have your max bid price put in and on the confirm bid page. then at 7 secs to go, you can click confirm and be refreshing it on the other page. Saves alot of time and you can get your bid in ast the last second. I know it annoys people to lose out at the last second but thats the way the world goes round. And if its something you really want to buy, you'll do anything to get it, right? :)

David

Back to the top
Thats a quite good idea dave. Thanks for the ebaying tip  :D
Ive heared a bit about that Sniper software, but it just takes the fun out of bidding!  :(

N17K CP

Back to the top
i shouldnt of told you all really lol! :D But it does work :)

David

Back to the top

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top

haha

Back to the top
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Auction Sniper can't "win" you the auction if someone else has actually bid higher than you? In other words, eBay's page will always work out the actual highest bidder and it will be won by them. Therefore, if you want it, bid for it as soon as, with your highest bid. If someone else wants it, and outbids you (with auction sniper or whatever) - let them have it! If you want it more, bid more than them.

Back to the top

paul_c said

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Auction Sniper can't "win" you the auction if someone else has actually bid higher than you? In other words, eBay's page will always work out the actual highest bidder and it will be won by them. Therefore, if you want it, bid for it as soon as, with your highest bid. If someone else wants it, and outbids you (with auction sniper or whatever) - let them have it! If you want it more, bid more than them.

That's fine if you don't mind someone bidding and ramping the price up for you. The best bet is to enter the highest price you are prepared to pay and get it sniped it the dying seconds. If someone enters a higher price then oh well you loose. You stand the best chance of winning it at the best possible price if you snipe. :twisted:

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top

kins said

paul_c said

That's fine if you don't mind someone bidding and ramping the price up for you. The best bet is to enter the highest price you are prepared to pay and get it sniped it the dying seconds. If someone enters a higher price then oh well you loose. You stand the best chance of winning it at the best possible price if you snipe. :twisted:

Not really, only by people who bid and then bid again and again. If I want to find the value of things, I look at previous auctions. If I want something, I bid my highest price the first time round. Its better not to rely on one auction for something anyway - there's always more about, and you can avoid some crazy bidding war by letting it go first time you're outbid, rather than getting into some kind of bidding contest.

Back to the top
Paul you're missing the point.

Say you see a mk1 part on ebay and bidding starts at a tenner…. you're prepared to pay 35 (I'll usually put a figure like 35.73 as some people would just put 35) so you put that in the snipe software…. someone bids 20 quid a couple of minutes before the auction ends and no one else is bidding (they think it's theirs…… and then schazam you strike 2 seconds before the auction ends and steal it. No chance to get in a bidding war and no chance for them to consider paying that little bit extra for it.

Back to the top

kins said

Paul you're missing the point.

Say you see a mk1 part on ebay and bidding starts at a tenner…. you're prepared to pay 35 (I'll usually put a figure like 35.73 as some people would just put 35) so you put that in the snipe software…. someone bids 20 quid a couple of minutes before the auction ends and no one else is bidding (they think it's theirs…… and then schazam you strike 2 seconds before the auction ends and steal it. No chance to get in a bidding war and no chance for them to consider paying that little bit extra for it.

You're missing my point too!!!

If you want to consider paying that little bit extra for it, do the considering before you even put your first bid in. Instead of thinking "how much would I pay to get this" think "how much/little would I be happy to have bid, knowing that someone else got it".

Back to the top
rock                                                                                    
hard place

Back to the top
just won a set of clocks for my T4 ?10 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.