Skip navigation

mk1 g60

Back to the top

mk1 g60

hi guys i have myself an 83 gti. and i had a 1990 g60 which i have broken and kept the engine box loom ecu and any other parts i thought relevent to put the engine in my mk1.

what im after is a list of parts that i need to secure from else where to help with the transplant.

i do have some knowledge of what bits and pieces are needed but if there is someone out there who has done this before it would be great if they could get in touch.

just to let you fnow where im upto at the moment i have just started to split the engine ready for a bottom end rebuild with larger wossner pistons. other than that the mk1 is still in one piece as i think it will be a while until i have secured all the parts and the knowledge need to finish the job.

im also aware that i have to concert the  loom so if anyone has any diagrams of the coversion or knowledge  that would be great.

thanks in advance.

toby

Back to the top
For advice on the loom you could try talking to Wellsy on here, although he doesn't post here all that much.

HTH

Rich

Back to the top
cheers mcsrew will try and find him :lol:

Back to the top

Back to the top
cheers ant i already have  that guide which has helped but its a bit vague(sp?)

thanks for mentioning it though

regards toby

Back to the top
my mate has done this, for the wiring he just wired all the g60 wiring into the existing mk1 fusebox, meant to be easier than putting the whole car into the corrado fusebox.

he just used corrado wiring diagrams to do it all

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
hi john,

is he on here for me to pm by any chance??

thanks for the info

regards toby

Back to the top
he is registered on here, but doesn't really come on anymore mate

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
no probs john

anyone know of any detailed threads what anyone has done??

Back to the top
bump :)

Back to the top
Currently doing this conversion. I cant see any major hassles apart from sourcing a decent I/C and mounting it some where. As regards wiring i was just going to mount the ecu then connect everything you need to run it then just try and fiqure out the rest by trial and error covering each sensor and wire at a time. Im sure it cant be that hard really. Maybe that spagetti is just scaring you. Did you label everything when you took it out of your donor? I have labeled everything so if your lost give me a shout.
Chris  :)

Mk1 Lahsa green, BBS RM, Mk1 Silver Campaign, Mk5 GT TDi, Audi A4 Avant S Line

Back to the top
hi chris thanks for the reply.

no i didnt label the wiring but it was removed by a friend who has removed and rebuilt his own g60 a few times before and i have every confidence that he knows where it all goes back.  the problem i have is i have read so many different ways of people doing the wiring its hard to know which is the right way. and the only company i found to convert the wiring for me want over ?200 for the pleasure 8O

also i hope you dont mind me asking but which box are you using??

intercooler?

radiator? (same again i have heard so many different ones)

my conversion will be a while off yet as im just starting to strip the bottom end and get it re bored for some 1.9 wossner pistons

Back to the top
just a to let you know i am using a twin pass from a renult 5 for my g40 and a small block rad as there the only ones theat will fit in the front panel as my charger is restricting how bigger rad i can fit in.will post a pic up in a bit

g40'd ratter

<div><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://w139.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w139.photobucket.com/albums/q312/Forgeman/75e604af.pbw" height="120"

Back to the top
look forward to seeing the pic  :D

Back to the top
ant5 has a G60 conversion. Not sure if he's posted a "how to" or build thread though.

Back to the top

g60go said

hi chris thanks for the reply.

no i didnt label the wiring but it was removed by a friend who has removed and rebuilt his own g60 a few times before and i have every confidence that he knows where it all goes back.  the problem i have is i have read so many different ways of people doing the wiring its hard to know which is the right way. and the only company i found to convert the wiring for me want over ?200 for the pleasure 8O

also i hope you dont mind me asking but which box are you using??

intercooler?

radiator? (same again i have heard so many different ones)

my conversion will be a while off yet as im just starting to strip the bottom end and get it re bored for some 1.9 wossner pistons

Well dont go paying that mate. I will get mine sorted then give you the low down.

Im gonna use the corrado radiator, 16v box with cab drive shafts.
As for the intercooler im not sure at the mo. I might play around with mounting the corrado one and fabricate some pipe's but the intercooler will be the last thing for me really as if i cant come with anything sensible for the rado one then i will look into a charge cooler as they are easier to position (or so people say).

You May get some other sugestions from dubforce.net

Chris  :)

Mk1 Lahsa green, BBS RM, Mk1 Silver Campaign, Mk5 GT TDi, Audi A4 Avant S Line

Back to the top
heard that a sprinter intercooler is an option but have seen them in mk2 g60s and they look pretty big in there!!!!

Back to the top
Hi there,

Yes, This is the way i did mine but obviously there are other options !!

I used corrado gearbox, (clutch fits no messing about) however, this causes three problems,

Gearbox mount right hand side does not line up and will have to be fabricated ! (try g-werks) expect ?300

The gear selector will have to be changed from rod (original ) to cable (corrado )this envolves taking the whole gear selector out of the mk1 and replacing it with the corrado, Tip here is to mount the selector on top of the ehaust tunnel and not underneath, you will then have to drill two holes low down in the bulk head to push the cables through.

The clutch will have to be converted from Hydraulic to cable, i can get the part no. for you in a week or so, but basically it will cost ?65 and you will then need a mk1 1.3 clutch cable. ( Although i am considering converting mine to hydraulic as you tend to go through cables quite rapidly, but it gets you started.

Yes you will then use 100mm cabrio drive shafts, You would benefit from ansa 4 in 1 Manifold or similar, and you will also need to adapt the lamda sensor from the corrado exhaust to fit in with your chosen exhaust, Jetex 2 1/2 inch comes recommeded !

Wiring you need and unmolested loom, This is the hard bit ! my mate helped with all electrics so he used a mk3 VR6 fuse box and then just plug and play with the loom and then just converted the wiring from the dash to the fuse box, it then has also sorted out most wiring faults you get with mk1`s,

Keep us posted on how you get on and i`ll try and help with photos of mine

Geeup is doing the same conversion and this is the info he was looking for. Radiator and intercooler, i had one fabricated although plenty of peeps use the corrado rad, corrado intercooler is a bit small i think but you could use any aftermarket one, and sit it on the ledge on the front panel.

I started with a converted wiring loom and i paid ?200 or so for it and this was the biggest con and waste of time and money of the whole project :banghead: , thats when my mate steped in to help, and we started again, Just ditch the mk1 fusebox it will just cause you problems…

Good luck and keep posting on here and i will keep an eye on the thread.

1979 mk1 Golf Gti (Dan)
1983 mk1 Golf gti G60 (little-un)

1991 mk2 Golf Country Chrome Edition
2010 T5 Karmann Colorado

2012 mk6 Golf Tdi convertible
2019 Skoda Octavia Sport ( it’s Golf)

Back to the top
Not done the conversion but i would have thought that rather thangoing to the effort of a rebore and specced pistons to get 1.9Ltr, just buy a 2.0ltr engine from the later VW van and rob the block and internals.

There was an article in a magasine some time ago about doing it. If i find it i'll let you know.

Dom………….

Back to the top

Domma said

Not done the conversion but i would have thought that rather thangoing to the effort of a rebore and specced pistons to get 1.9Ltr, just buy a 2.0ltr engine from the later VW van and rob the block and internals.

There was an article in a magasine some time ago about doing it. If i find it i'll let you know.

Dom………….

G60 8v motors like to rev, its all very well going down the van 2L route but the motor is a pig and your be faster with the std G60 set up, thats why all the big power G60's go down the 1.9 83mm piston route.

Good luck with ya converstion, be good to see another mk1 G60 on the roads

Mk1 G60 Turbo Track/hillclimb toy

mk2 Golf 16v auto test/nav rally toy

mk2 Golf Rallye Road car
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.