Skip navigation

Golf+Mag rant Update, the Editors response!!!!

Back to the top

Golf+Mag rant Update, the Editors response!!!!

Interesting point on Mini Magazine in this thread somewhere. I think as mk1 owners we would be more likely to buy Golf+ if it was a mini magazine format ie some chopped around, brought up to date stuff and also some real concours cars that are more perfect than when they left the factory.

The problem that we have if we want that is that there are nowhere near enough Mk1 owners for that kind of magazine dedicated to one model and as soon as you dilute with other models then the audience is so big that the majority will be more excited by flashing LEDs than a car without seat bolster damage.

The solution is simple; if you want to read a Mini Magazine type publication then buy a Mini and buy Mini Magazine and accept that it's not going to happen for Mk1 Golfs.

The possibility of a club magazine is interesting but to go back to the Mini world and take the example of the Mini Club magazine. It comes out quarterly and to be honest this messageboard is more interesting, more up to date and contains more info.

How about a Club Magazine thread where people can post pics and articles on their finished projects/history of the Mk1/ anything they want to research???

Back to the top
A web based "how to" and "readers or members cars" section would be a good idea on here

I know like others when i do a job on my mk1 i always take a fair few pics, i know theres only so much you can put on before it all gets repeated, but there are quite a few different ways do do stuff, so maybe a "pool" of information would be good, things like cam belt change, suspension, that type of thing

The members cars section could "be locked" to members only and have restrcited access so only the originator of the post so he/she can add new items or mod and update it, that way anything of interest or note can be pm`d or discussed in other areas of the forum

It may also encourage those who just flit by to maybe join and get involved and inspired by what they could see if they joined up?

I dont think a paper publication would have enough depth as its almost a full time ask to research and input articles and cars then get it all printed to a time scale and delivered, its also has cost issues, its ok for club gti to do it as they have 1000`s of members and a massive commitee

maybe the advertisers on here could sponsor the different sections?  and before any article on "how to" was submitted it could be vetted for spelling firstly!! and its general content by some of the more techy people on here, obviously guides arent biblical or written in stone so that would have to be made clear to the reader!!! and after all theres only a handfull of people who actually have the knowledge or experience to tackle an engine swap etc etc but that experience passed on to others gives them knowledge and inspiration to try it themselves and keeps the whole mk1 thing going into the future

I know these arent all unique ideas, just ones learned form other forums and things i would like to see myself, particularly the readers cars and a bit about us "faceless" keyboard users!! it would sure make it friendlier and you never know we could end up with 50+ mk1`s of all kinds and massive or at least decent representation at some of the big shows!!

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
:D  Good ideas Nick I think that I said something similar earlier on. I think that all the info is on here it just needs putting into a better order for access…..(thats not a dig guys the site is really good and I get feed back from others users and hopefully help where i can)

By the way Nick are you on a day off that is a hell of a thread you put on there. :wink:

FAQ and a how to do section…..def the best ideas…

1988 GTi Cabriolet.....

Back to the top

Topoftherange said

A web based "how to" and "readers or members cars" section would be a good idea on here

I know like others when i do a job on my mk1 i always take a fair few pics, i know theres only so much you can put on before it all gets repeated, but there are quite a few different ways do do stuff, so maybe a "pool" of information would be good, things like cam belt change, suspension, that type of thing

The members cars section could "be locked" to members only and have restrcited access so only the originator of the post so he/she can add new items or mod and update it, that way anything of interest or note can be pm`d or discussed in other areas of the forum

It may also encourage those who just flit by to maybe join and get involved and inspired by what they could see if they joined up?

I dont think a paper publication would have enough depth as its almost a full time ask to research and input articles and cars then get it all printed to a time scale and delivered, its also has cost issues, its ok for club gti to do it as they have 1000`s of members and a massive commitee

maybe the advertisers on here could sponsor the different sections?  and before any article on "how to" was submitted it could be vetted for spelling firstly!! and its general content by some of the more techy people on here, obviously guides arent biblical or written in stone so that would have to be made clear to the reader!!! and after all theres only a handfull of people who actually have the knowledge or experience to tackle an engine swap etc etc but that experience passed on to others gives them knowledge and inspiration to try it themselves and keeps the whole mk1 thing going into the future

I know these arent all unique ideas, just ones learned form other forums and things i would like to see myself, particularly the readers cars and a bit about us "faceless" keyboard users!! it would sure make it friendlier and you never know we could end up with 50+ mk1`s of all kinds and massive or at least decent representation at some of the big shows!!

The registers will be expanded to become more like a reader's ride section - see page 2 of the NW Regional page for a rough idea of the layout.

After the registers have been revamped, the next part will be to have a technical FAQ. I'm keen for as many ideas as possible to go into it (hopefully it will save the same common questions popping up on the forum too), the only caveat being that we shouldn't really be repeating what's easily found in the Haynes manual.

Back to the top
Brill can't wait 8)

1988 GTi Cabriolet.....

Back to the top
:lol:  yeah got a day or 2 off mate.

I dont own a Haynes manual……im sure i did once upon a time but to be honest i dont find them a lot of use :dontknow:

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

Back to the top

Topoftherange said

:lol:  yeah got a day or 2 off mate.

I dont own a Haynes manual……im sure i did once upon a time but to be honest i dont find them a lot of use :dontknow:

We made a concious decision at last year's AGM not to 'compete' head on with the stuff in the Haynes manual. There's still loads of technical articles which could be done though, for example common problems like gear linkages (while in car), cambelt change (while in car), wobbly seats (replace runners), etc. Having said that there's a few areas which could benefit from expansion and lots of pics - servicing, engine removal, for example.

Back to the top
Im sure there could be a good list for commonly used or asked for part numbers too, both original stuff and replacement service parts, exhausts both standard and after market systems, engine mounts, belts, lamps, dash bulbs etc etc etc

most mechanical stuff is common to both types of the original 1.6 & 1.8 gti engines, the carb engines are also simmilar to each other, body stuff is all a much of a muchness

In the end it will become a pretty comprehensive reference for anyone to look at

maybe even better than a Haynes manual?

Oh and i have met mark Haynes, he was racing an adapted porsche (hes disabled) at Brands Hatch when i was at the slick 50 races in the 90`s he is a rude and horrible little man!

Back to the top
you lot have changed.......

Back to the top

Topoftherange said

Oh and i have met mark Haynes, he was racing an adapted porsche (hes disabled) at Brands Hatch, he is a rude and horrible little man!
I'm guessing that's his (disability) then. Dwarfism.

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top

tomo320 said

you lot have changed…….

From what? just chucking some ideas in the hat to maybe improve the site……i still havnt parted with any money…………..yet :wink:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.