Skip navigation

76 Golf Resto

Back to the top

76 Golf Resto

Nice bit of climbing frame making Rich!

Banner

Back to the top
This is coming along again then... any updates mate?

Back to the top
Hmmm :oops:

I've been doing pretty much everything except cars recently - I should get a spare weekend or two in September to push it along though. I may get a few evenings during the weeks too, but that depends on work, which has been really busy recently.

Nothing much has happened except I've cleaned up the rust on the underside and assessed it (looks much better than I first thought so far).

I'll put some pics up when I've done some more work!

Rich

Back to the top
cool rotisserie!!!

Back to the top
Frames awesome mate, good to see some progress on the yellow beasty  8)

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
hi any updates and were did you buy the box sections and what lengths thanks

Back to the top
Hmmm :oops: very little to report. I've balanced up the pistons and con-rods, and cleaned and painted the block. That's it! I'm hoping to get some more time on it over the Christmas break.

The cutting list is on the previous page of this thread - however having looked at what other people have done, I think there are better designs. Jellybelly created a really simple design which allows the car to rotate completely, for about half the price (check out his resto thread)

HTH

Rich

Back to the top
you have a good projekt
 :faq:

Golf mk1 1.6gti 81 green

Golf mk1 1.6gti 81 blue

Golf mk2 1.8gti 16v kr 88 black

Golf mk3 2.0gti 8v 96green

Back to the top
Nice mk1 love the colour
Good idea with the roll over frame

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments ;)

Still yet to get on with this but I have made it my New Years resolution to make some progress…

Watch this space!

Rich

Back to the top
anymore on this project?

Back to the top
Well, it has been some time since I last posted anything on here.

However, I've recently had both the time and money to get on with this again. Over the past 5 years I've either only had one, or occasionally neither.

I unearthed the block (1.6 EG engine), wire brushed it and degreased it.

I had a look at the bores, which looked ok to my untrained eye. They're covered in oil in this pic, prior to honing.

Then I gave them a quick hone until they looked like this

They only took a few seconds to come up like this - could anyone confirm whether they need any more going over? I've got some new piston rings on order so they'll need a reasonable surface to bed in to.

I've also had the bottom end lightened and balanced (cost £220 which I was quite pleased with), and then reassembled the pistons and rods. I've not got any pics of the lightened flywheel and crank but they look nice :)

When I took the engine apart (2009, ahem!) I made some notes on the orientation of the rods, and I've reassembled them as they were… I think. Three of them have the VW & Audi stamp facing one way, while the fourth (no.1) is 180° out. The stamps correspond to the notches inside the big ends so three have the notches facing one way while one has them facing the other. Can anyone confirm whether I've got this fourth rod round the wrong way? Thanks!

Final arty shot of the big ends just cos I thought it looked cool…

And lastly, does anyone know if I can get a replacement bearing shell for the intermediate shaft where it runs in the block? This one looks pretty tired: -

Next step is to assemble the piston rings when they arrive, and in the meantime I'm going to get the head flowed.

More pics when I've got this done :)Rich

Back to the top
All the old picture links dont work, shame that as id like to see the car. :)

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
Good to see you back on here Rich and cracking on with the resto. Just thinking about this the other day.
There are too many online users to list.