Skip navigation

76 Golf Resto

Back to the top

76 Golf Resto

I reckon you might save more than 15 quid on the discounts you can get from signing up  :wink:
Anyway, looking fantastic love the colour!

1992 Pearl Green Clipper Cab - 16v (9a block, KR head, GSXR600 Carbs) :)

Back to the top

mcscrew said

Steve - I'm too attached to my silver stars (and too tight) to part with ?15 and become a member :oops:

Rich

I'll tell you about the benefits next week… Well worth it, especially when you start putting back together..

Back to the top
Cool… Am intrigued. All will be revealed I'm sure!

Rich

Back to the top

mcscrew said

Cool… Am intrigued. All will be revealed I'm sure!

Rich

I could get rid of those silver stars ;)

Car looks good mate, get it finish though :D

1986 Cabriolet (long resto!)
1983 Cabriolet (daily pain in the bum)
1983 T25 (weekend pain in the bum)

Follow us on:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Instagram: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks your kind words on my build thread bud… so…. thought I'd pop over to yours for a look  :lol: …. It may look a lot of work but once the body is done you've got loads of room to get in and about at your own pace… so keep going mate.  You must have an update for us?

The barn looks huge is it easy to obtain storage in something like that as in… is it yours or did you ak a farming friend or something?

looking forward to seeing this progress mate  :wink:

Back to the top
Thanks dude - unfortunately progress has been seriously slow. Last update was Nov 08! :oops:

I'm half way through welding up some rollover frames for the shell, and once they're on I'll restart the bodywork again.

I've been tinkering with the engine, but haven't got much further than a complete stripdown. I'll document the mods and rebuild of that as it'll be a bit of a 'special'.

I'll stick some pics up this weekend 8)

Rich

Back to the top
Re: storage, I rent it off my landlady for an absolute bargain price. It's been a total lifesaver really - my cars are dry and out the way when I'm not using them, and there's enough room to work on 3 at a time if I want…

There's tons of barns about near me, but I find you have to know the people before they'll rent you them, and even then they want a lot of money (except for my landlady 8))

Rich

Back to the top
Rich

Where abouts is these barns? As I have a few mate in the Reading area who was looking for a cheap lockup/barn.

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook

Back to the top
Where's the pics mate?  Manage to get a bit more done?

Back to the top
Have got some more done, but my ftp site is down. Will put some pics up later hopefully…

Rich

Back to the top
Here's some pics (beter late than never!). Over the last few months I've stripped down a 1.6 engine: -

I'm going to clean them all up, balance the weights of the pistons and rods, skim some material off the top of the block to increase the compression ratio, and lighten and balance the bottom end.

In the end I did jot down the orientation of the pistons and con rods - I made a note of the con rod caps and have marked the pistons and rods accordingly.

As far as I can tell, this is how the bearing shells should line up (was pretty difficult to focus the camera properly)

I've also made some rollover frames, based on regcheeseman's design (link here) although the one in the pic isn't quite finished yet…

I ordered all the parts cut to size and welded them together. I'll stick up a cutting list once I've ironed out a couple of mistakes.

I bought a gearbox and a couple of other bits today, and as it's going to be raining this weekend there'll hopefully be a bit more to show next week  :?

Rich

Back to the top
Had a good day today cleaning up the engine prior to modding some parts: -

Cleaned the block

Then tackled the pistons, which were pretty dirty

They came up pretty well (I used a wire brush on a drill and some WD40)

And while cleaning them I discovered an arrow on each one, which I presume when it's rebuilt will point towards cylinder no. 1.

So, good to know that if you forget to note the alignment before you dismantle the engine, you can still recover the situation.

Rich

Back to the top
get that cutting list up mate as i could do with making something like that. how much did it cost?? if you don't mind me asking

does it bolt into the bumper mounts???

looking good

Banner

Back to the top
I'm looking forward to seeing the end result with this one!!

I'm now mk1less, ahhhhhhh!
Gone but not forgotten;
'83 Schwarze black GTi
'83 Lhasa green GTi
'80 Indiana Red Met. GLS

Back to the top
Looks like you have been a busy man Mate, so you couldnt come to Bracknell today…..

Will you be coming on wed to the Berkshire meet. Would like to meet up

Cheers

Max

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Embarassingly enough, I thought Dubs in the Park was next weekend :oops: Should be there on Weds though 8)

Thanks for the encouragement too - I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out myself!

Jellybelly - here's a cutting list, all out of 40mm box section: -

4x 300mm (bolts to bumper mounts)
2x 1700mm (horizontal bar)
2x 1200mm (vertical bar)
2x 550mm (legs)
2x 510mm (legs to fit under curved section)

2x 600mm, with 45? each end (brace between horizontal and vertical bars)
6x 172mm, with 11.25? each end
4x 172mm, with 11.25? one end

The steel cost me ?165 + VAT.

HTH

Rich

Back to the top
:y:

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
nice one for that rich

great help!!!!! :y:

Banner

Back to the top
I finally, finally got the rollover frames on and the shell on its side today :cheer:

The frames worked really well, with the shell going over pretty easily, and it seems to be sat very comfortably so far. Fingers crossed my welds hold up 8O

Rich

Back to the top

mcscrew said

Have got some more done, but my ftp site is down. Will put some pics up later hopefully…

Rich
:P  :P your work is looking good
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.