Skip navigation

76 Golf Resto

Back to the top

76 Golf Resto

madone_si said

look the cars are playing hide and seek!!!  :lol:

well the swallowtail is only winning cos the red one struggles to turn around quickly :roll:

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
After a relatively lazy Christmas break, I got started this afternoon by laying out a load of parts that I've collected over the last couple of months: -

Highlights include a complete fuel system plus an extra pump and accumulator, a full gear linkage, some cabby driveshafts with 100mm flanges, a VDO voltmeter, and a TSR 285mm front brake setup plus some Pagid fast road pads.

You can see how much bigger they are compared with the standard discs (in the bag).

One thing the guy who I bought them off said that I'd not thought of was that they increase the unsprung mass of the car a bit, and handling may suffer slightly as a result.

Does anyone on here run these or something similar, and if so what is the handling like through corners and over bumps?

Rich

Back to the top
nice car rich keep the progression pics coming in great to see it being cared 4 lota effort and money required envious of ya mate :wink:

mk1 work in progress

Back to the top
Thanks ;)

I was looking at it again yesterday and there really is loads to do… I don't even want to think about costs either!

Will keep folks updated with progress over the coming months…

Rich

Back to the top
what are your exact plans for it thne, i though people on here would be up in arms about not keeping it standard? different brakes etc…i cant blame u tbh…as long as its all fairly reversable i reckon u shud make it just a retro comfy ride dude…ur own way

gd luck, so jealous
JJ

Back to the top
That's a good point - nobody has minded so far  :lol:

I'm still looking at various engine options - ideally I'd like a 2.0l 16v but I've not found a suitable one yet. I may go for a 1.6 GTI engine for now, and upgrade later. We shall see…

The interior will be stripped out, with some bucket seats and a rollcage, and I'll put some funky alloys on it with coilovers to keep it low. But like you say, I'll be able to put all of that back to standard if I want.

Watch this space :)

Rich

Back to the top
Weirdly enough, it's almost a year to the day that I bought this, and I've finally got round to doing something with it :roll:

Here's how it looked on Saturday morning: -

And by the afternoon I'd got the stripdown underway: -

This morning I cracked on and removed the rest of the suspension: -

and kept on going, past such highlights as self tapping wood screws mashed into otherwise immaculate c-pillars  :twisted:

until I ended up with a completely bare engine bay: -

and a relatively tidy shell: -

The stripdown went really well, with all the nuts and bolts coming apart very easily, and by and large everything looks to be in reasonable nick, apart from the outer sills and front wings.

This is now my main project so hopefully progress will be a little more regular from now on…

Rich

Back to the top
Wow, you've got guts to do this, wish i had a garage… 8O

Back to the top
Yay some work at last  8)
looking good so far and :( at that screw

keep it up mate

83 MK1 GTI G60 85 MK2 GTI 20VT 2004 SEAT ALTEA 2.0 TDI SPORT

Back to the top
Keep it up mate

You know you only need to shout if you need a hand with any of the heavy stuff…

steve

Back to the top
nice!
will be great when finished.

will be watching this one for sure  :)

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top
Thanks for the encouragement chaps ;)

I'm looking forward to some more regular progress too  8O

Rich

Back to the top
I think that screw held a rear speaker. :x

Carry on!

Banner

Back to the top
I've not been so busy with this car over the summer, but now it's dark and cold I'm back out there  :lol:  Here's a few pics of progress…

Got the doors, bonnet, tailgate, and glass out: -

Then cracked on with the engine bay, rubbing back some of the paint to get an idea of how solid the metal was underneath.

So far so good. Put a bit of primer over the top to prevent it rusting any more.

Same story with the inner wings - they're gone at the front where they meet the front panel, but the majority of the structural stuff is ok. There's some rust at the bottom of the a-pillars too, but it should be repairable.

The shell will go to a professional bodyshop for a proper coat of paint, don't worry :)

I then got on with the inside of the car, removing the sound proofing to check the floor underneath. Again, it mostly looks good…

I keep saying this, but hopefully progress will be a bit more regular over the winter!

Rich

Back to the top
Looks pretty solid, keep it up.

Back to the top
keep it up Rich!!!

Back to the top
I don't know what it is with working on Mk1's?

I'm exactly the same, all the time the sun is out and you have light till past 9PM in the summer, you wait till the wet dark cold winter to get cracking on it!

Odd hey

looks like a fun project, and place to work for that matter. Looks a tad lonely out there?

Dom……..

Back to the top
Looks good! What colour is it?

Mat

Back to the top
so when you getting yor ?15 out then Rich and joining up!!

surely your gonna need some of the discounts we're now getting

Back to the top
Thanks for the encouragement chaps ;)

The colour is Marino Yellow (an early VW pastel shade).

My barn is a cool place to be - it's not so far from my house, but I am out in the sticks. Got my super ghetto blaster to keep my company though :lol:

Steve - I'm too attached to my silver stars (and too tight) to part with ?15 and become a member :oops:

Rich
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.