Skip navigation

Engine restoration - need some help

Back to the top

Engine restoration - need some help

North Antrim

The project is currently on hold so I can get xmas and new year out of the way.  I managed to get a few photos of the 1976 VW workshop manual as wel so they should help me a little.
Baz

Back to the top
Well here's a little update.  I've made some sort of progress but I need more help.

1. I need a pic of the dipstick tube on a 1.6 so I can check what I'm missing.  I have bought a small orange tube and it might not be the correct one as I'm not convinced it fits very well.

2. I have most of the water system back together and next is the fuel and vacuum pipes so if anyone has a diagram of either I'd be very greatful.  The Carb is a Solex 34 Pict-5.

I'd like to have this little beastie up and running before easter.  I've just managed to get another MK1 for parts as well but it's a bit worse for wear and was a 1300.  I'll just be taking the non-engine parts I need and selling off the rest probably in pieces but we'll wait and see.
Baz

Back to the top
Actually, my Mk1 GL 1.6 engine top end is stamped 1.8. VW saved some money and both heads are the same, but bored slightly bigger on the 1.8.

~Tom Parker

Currently Restoring a Cabrolet GL

5% complete?

Back to the top

Bazmcc said

Well here's a little update.  I've made some sort of progress but I need more help.

2. I have most of the water system back together and next is the fuel and vacuum pipes so if anyone has a diagram of either I'd be very greatful.  The Carb is a Solex 34 Pict-5.

Connections to the carb depend on the year. There should be a vacuum pipe from the distributor vacuum unit to the choke vacuum diaphragm(held by 4 screws to the carb body).

There should be a 12V feed (black wire) from the coil to the carb cut off solenoid and the choke bi-metallic strip element (round unit held by 3 screws on a retaining ring). The carb body also has an earth tag on it. Later carbs have the choke also running on water temp so have an inlet/outlet on them.

Banner

Back to the top
I'm slowly but sure getting the old engine back to what it was.
I just need some help no finishing the water system.  As you can see from the pic below there's a few pipes still to connect.  (ignore the wiring, it's a total mystery).
So, currently I have still to connect:
2 pipes coming from the airbox in the firewall (one with the cable controlled valve in it?)
1 open end on the intake manifold
and
on the metal pipework which lays around the corner of the block there's a piece of 'U' shaped pipe joining the top upper and lower parts of this plumbing together.  I think this is wrong.
If anyone can confirm where these pipes go it'd be great.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.