Skip navigation

Engine restoration - need some help

Back to the top

Engine restoration - need some help

I have a little 1600 engine which needs a lot of TLC to bring it back to life.
At the minute I'd say it hasn't ran in a long time.  I have removed the manifolds for sandblasting and taken off the carb for cleaning as well.
My first objective is to get the cooling system all gutted and cleaned out.  I've taken the whole system out at the minute and I'm going toclean each part and make sure the water pump is still intact.

My first question is:  What product could I use to clean out the coolant channels and piping?  Is there some sort of acidic cleanser or even just a bathroom or kitchen product that would eat away the limescale?

I've added a pic of the hole at the water pump to give you an idea of what it's like. It obviously needs a good clean out.  Any help would be much appreciated.  I'll get loads of before and after pics when i get scrubbing on it.

Back to the top
You could try to get the bare block acid dipped at engine reconditioners or powder coaters , try yellow pages .

Back to the top
Oh and knock out then clean the block then replace all the core plugs .

Back to the top

Clean out coolant channels and piping

Try a strong solution of soda crystals ( from asda ) check details on www.soda-crystals.co.uk

Solid Gold Easy Action

Back to the top

Re: Clean out coolant channels and piping

Goldie said

Try a strong solution of soda crystals ( from asda ) check details on www.soda-crystals.co.uk

you know something, that might just be worth a go.
I wonder does it remove rust from old panels and weld new patches?
Baz

Back to the top
acid dip would be best - leave it spotless....

Back to the top

Carbs4ever said

acid dip would be best - leave it spotless….

you know anywhere local that does it?
and is it expensive?
Cheers
Baz

Back to the top
Can anyone identify exactly what engine i've got?

Cheers
Baz

Back to the top
Looks like an EX or EW to me, in any case its a big block carb engine. The code is to the left of the engine number, which is located on the block (not head) on a flat vertical area at the front, between cylinders 3 and 4.

Back to the top
I'm just digging up an old thread here but i've recently started working on this engine again after a bit of a rest.  I had a few other projects to tidy up first.  I stripped a lot of the parts off this engine and I'm now about halfway through putting it all back together again.
Unfortunately there were a few rusted bolts and a few dodgy gaskets so i've decided to replace just about everything than even looks slightly worn or beyond repair.  I need to fix up the water pump on which the housing was basically welded together from being over tightened and then moisture destroying about half the bolts.  These in turn snapped and have left me with about 5 threaded rusty studs poking out of the housing.  I'll probably need to cut and drill them out.  Is it possible to get a gasket and O-ring kit for the water pump?  I bought a bottom end gasket kit the other day and i'm not sure what half the parts are for.  I need to find the engine code on it yet.  I wasn't sure exactly what number or letters to look for as there was quite a few but i'll check again tonight and post my findings.

I checked out my VIN on an online checker the other day and it turned up as a 1983 which was way off on what I thought it was.  The car has a very sketchy history and the rear panel and part of the wiring is from a small tail light model but has been modified to fit larger lights.  The seats don't really fit right either and it has dodgy seatbelts.  I know the car was in spain at one point as well.

Back to the top
Its got what looks like a 1.8 GTI gearbox with the combined MFA/reverse light switch.

Don't both replacing just the impellor on the water pump swap the lot only about ?10 more. I've never been able to all the bolts out without them snapping.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
I wasn't actually going to swap the impellor.  I was just going to give it a clean up and put it back.  Do you mean just get a whole new water pump and housing?
Cheers
Baz

Back to the top
Got a few new gaskets fitted this week.  Got the water pump cleaned and sorted and it looks to be fine.  Got a new sump, top end gasket set, spark plugs etc ordered.
Bit more work to do today.  I need to sort out the interior a bit more and see what's missing or needing replaced.  I'm going to start from the back and work forward.  I might just try and get an whole nterior from somewhere and piece one good one together from the 2 sets.  I'm still in a real pickle about the ago of this car and where all the parts have came from.  I think i have a later gearbox and taillights and early engine and early shell, early rear panel, and early interior.  Confusing thing is that the VIN plate comes up as an 83. Pity the guy who had it before me hadn't took more care to keep paperwork and details of the car.
OK - so here's the engine now in the pics below.  Maybe I'm just being thick but I'm struggling to find out what engine code I have and without that info I'm stuck on the wiring as I don't know what diagram to follow.
If someone can identify it or if you need more pics I can definitely sort that out.
Help wouild be great.
Cheers
Baz

I don't know what i'm lookinf for here but I just took pics of some of the numbers on the block and a pic of the part number of the head.  If anyone can tell me anything about the block or head i'd be greatful.

Back to the top
Behind the fuel pump there should be a machined flat area about 40 mm x 10 mm.  On here the engine code and number is stamped.  Usually difficult to see but clean it up and you should be able to read it.  Let us know and we can tell you what the engine is.  My guess is a 1471 or 1588.  What does the log book say?

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
Thanks
I'll take another look when I go to the garage shortly.
If only I had a log book it'd be easier.  I need to apply for new paperwork although I'm in 2 minds about whether to keep or sell this one when it's rebuilt.  Pity the previous owner hadn't finished rebuilding it.  But then again - where's the fun in that.
Baz

Back to the top
OK - I've checked again and the reason I couldn't get an engine code or number is because it's so badly pitted that I can't see much at all.  I can make out maybe a 5 and a 9 on the block but that's about it.  Not a chance of seeing what is on it.

The head part number: 049 103 373 - Is this a MK2 head?
Block part number: 049 103 021 - I found out that this might be the part number for an EG block.  Does this make sense?
What year is EG or what wiring diagram should I be looking at?

Cheers
Baz

Back to the top
EG was the 1588 GTI engine 1976-82. The numbers you quote are VW part numbers, someone might be able to check them for you, maybe VW dealer? You may have a 1.5 or 1.6 - both blocks are stamped 1.6. Common mk1 carb engines were JB/1.5 and FR/1.6, common mk2 carb EW and HN. Regardless, I would have thought you'd want carb wiring diagrams, EG ones will have wiring for fuel injection etc  

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
It's all got a bit confusing now hasn't it?
Baz

Back to the top
I'll just put in a quick update.
I've cleaned up quite a bit of the engine and made some progress.
I just need a bit of help to double check some things as Haynes manuals are basically useless.  I think i'm missing a few pipes and things so here's what I need:

1. Coolant system diagram. - so i can see where a few pipes are supposed to be routed.
2. Fuel system diagram from fuel filter onwards.
3. Solex34 PICT-5 carb diagram (wiring+fuel) - so I can see if anything is missing or how this should function.  I think i'm missing pipes for this.
4. Air intake piping diagram.  I have a box of air pipes and haven't a clue what is what because i'm not sure they are all off the same engine.

So if anyone can help with any of that it's be good.  The car is coming along nicely and hopefully it shouldn't be too long before it's back on the road.
Baz

Back to the top
where in ni u from mate?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.