Skip navigation

GTI Project #2

Back to the top

GTI Project #2

Vicarofstcyrus said

Good work macca.

You will have saved a fortune doing all that work yourself.

At this rate you could do me a homer or 2 when you have finished im quoted 2-3k to get mine done later this yr.

All the best with the resto look forward to seeing some more pics. :wink:

Thanks mate. I seem to have lost my way of late but I'm hoping to get back to it tomorrow morning before I go to my work.
Good luck with yours mate.  I am now trying to have it on the road by the time of Volksfling at Biggar next year.  :roll:

First Golf, lots of work. I've started so I'll finish!

Back to the top
Volks fling at biggar!!

Whens this then im not in any clubs yet as mine has been off the road for 6 yrs and now im getting my act together.

Do you have any dates for this meet!!

Is it a club meet or is it just a get together.

Any info would be good as i would like to show my project once its completed next yr as it will be good to check out what else is going on in scotland and meet a few folk.

:wink:

Back to the top
It was near the end of May this year. Would expect it to be around about the same time next year.

There were a load of us from Scottishvag.com who went down this year.
Had a good day on Saturday but woke up on Sunday and it was tipping it down.

Back to the top
Rear windows are out now and the surface rust at the bottom of the Offside window has been fixed.
The filler and seam sealer has also been done around the spare wheel well.

Cleaning up the engine bay so that I can get it away for a paint, ready fro the engine going in.  Although the engine aint been stripped down and checked yet.

Will get the pics up soon.

Back to the top
Have been sidened for past 6 weeks after a hernia Op.  But have now manged to rent a gargae across the road from me and have moved the car across there.  Looking to get back in about it sometime next week.

Back to the top
Ouch, don't envy you Macca - hope you have a speedy recovery! :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks for that

Back to the top
Whoops!!!!! :oops:
I have now done the hat trick.  Attempted to take out the front windscreen yesterday.  sprayed wd40 around inside the rubber seal and tried my best but GUESS WHAT.  Correct, I broke it.  That the last three windscreens that I have attempted to remove whole that I have broken.  :cry:

Back to the top

Macca said

Whoops!!!!! :oops:
I have now done the hat trick.  Attempted to take out the front windscreen yesterday.  sprayed wd40 around inside the rubber seal and tried my best but GUESS WHAT.  Correct, I broke it.  That the last three windscreens that I have attempted to remove whole that I have broken.  :cry:

lol. i always break them too
cut the rubber, i know its a sacrifice

Back to the top
How much to get autoglass or similar to do for you?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

How much to get autoglass or similar to do for you?

I dont know. I just break them myself. Havent tried them.  :roll:

Back to the top
im rustring on my rearpannel like that, would it be an idea to get someoen to do things like changing the rear pannel or is it easier myself?

thanks

Back to the top

fulltiimejunglist said

im rustring on my rearpannel like that, would it be an idea to get someoen to do things like changing the rear pannel or is it easier myself?

thanks

Do a search for chudds thread on how to replace the rear panel - if you can weld, you can do it! Good step by step guide :wink:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

fulltiimejunglist said

thanks

Is it the whole rear panel or just the rear bottom quarter panel, like I replaced first. If it is the main rear panel and it is only at the bottom then you could get a rear lower vallance panel and weld it in where it wont be seen behind the rear bumper. I went for the whole rear panel as the number plate light holes were badly rusted also and it would be a nightmare to try and patch them.

Back to the top

mk1

any updates ?

Back to the top

spray painting

Hairyarse said

fulltiimejunglist said

thanks

Do a search for chudds thread on how to replace the rear panel - if you can weld, you can do it! Good step by step guide :wink:

hi any one have a step by step process on how to spray paint a car

Back to the top
Sorry aint got that far yet and never painted a car before. Dont want to make a mess of it.

Back to the top
Eventually got around to taking the camera over to the car tonight.  I have now stripped all the braking assembly and the wiring from the engine bay, removed the interior light support and sunroof winder support and cleaned up the rust in order  to start welding up all of the holes tomorrow.  I will add the pics shortly.

Back to the top
Here are the pics of the car so far. As you can see the roof and tray are quite bad, but I intend to cut some metal and place it on the underside then weld it from the outside of the roof. I hope that makes sense.

Back to the top
Well I got stuck in about it today and welded in some new metal around the sunroof tray and grinded the welds back.  Burnt myself three times with hot welding wire going down my sleeves.
The only bit I didnt do was the bit shown in the last picture.
I also cut out the rusty bits on the lip of the scuttle panel and started to weld some new bits in.
I will take some more pics tomorrow and post them.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.