Skip navigation

Girlfriends borrowing the Mk1

Back to the top

Girlfriends borrowing the Mk1

8O am I wrong to be worried?

The other half broke the accelerator cable on her F*rd…  :roll: and what a suprise we can't get a new cable as they're on backorder everywhere (Typical ford….. if it were VW, I'd have had a new cable in about 20 minutes and fitted in 10 including a tea break)

so she's borrowing the Mk1 for the week, and I can't believe how concerned I am about it sitting in Asda's carpark all day where people just don't give the slightest concern about what they're parked next too

anyone else worry like mad when they're other half borrows they're Mk1?

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
its the other way arround at my house, my GF has a new beetle, in the year of ownership she has only let me drive it twice!!!

Im sure she will be fine, although i would ask her to park it in the furthest corner, to avoid dings in the doors.

Back to the top
i bet part will be next day but she has paid them to tell you otherwise

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
Im at the window waiting for my Mrs to come back as soon as she's gone out in mine!> 8O

Back to the top
My missus used my cabbie for the best part of 6 months on her 60 mile round trip to work.  In that time she dented the pass door, had two punctures (within 20 mins of each other) almost killed the car when one of the hoses split and killed the MFA.  Some may argue that is general wear and tear but I reckon it was her evil touch.

Mk1 GTi White Cab '86

Mk4 TDi

Back to the top

Morb said

Im at the window waiting for my Mrs to come back as soon as she's gone out in mine!> 8O
Classic  :lol:
I have to say thou i am not concerned as during the years together my partner basically is a dubchick she can take any of the golfs out and i dont worry, she parks in child spaces when shopping and does take great care with any of the cars, i taut her well.
But i still go out when she returns and have a glance at the wheels to see if they've been kurbed and look for scratches or dents, suppose i'm more in love with the cars more than she thinks :lol:
Pete

Back to the top
Put 15" wheel on the car with 195/50 tyre and let them down to 20psi that will stop her driving it

1983 MK1 Golf GTI (Campaign?)

1983 MK1 Golf GTI (Gone to VW Heaven)

1990 MK2 Golf GTI G60 Edition One

Back to the top
You could always ask her to employ the "2 space straddle". Infuriating when its a 4x4 that just cant park properly, but totally understandable when its a nice motor clearly trying to avoid the 'Rash'.

I remember the look on my GF's face when she picked me up once, driving my car for the first time. A really big grin, saying "Actually your cars really FUN!!" Shame she hasnt driven it much since. But then neither have I….  :?

Now wheres my buckets and products, its time for a cleaning.

good luck

Black MK1 GTI Campaign SOLD
Blue T5 GP 2010 Transporter (Van)
Orange M6L 2012 Brompton (Bike)
Neversummer 2012 Revolver (Snowboard)

Back to the top
None of this would have happened if she got a decent car in the first place!  :lol: Harsh, but true  :wink:

Back to the top
the thing to be worried about, is if she enjoys the mk1 experience so much that you find that you're always the passenger in it when you two go out!!

I'm now mk1less, ahhhhhhh!
Gone but not forgotten;
'83 Schwarze black GTi
'83 Lhasa green GTi
'80 Indiana Red Met. GLS

Back to the top

penny said

the thing to be worried about, is if she enjoys the mk1 experience so much that you find that you're always the passenger in it when you two go out!!

no fear of that with my "in desperate need of adjustment" brakes  :D  :lol:

bet I have to rescue her at least once because either:

a) she can't open the fuel cap - well.. it is pretty tight if I'm honest, and it does need fuel (convenient I hear you say  :wink: )

b) she couldn't get it started and has drained the battery

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
I'm the same whenever my boyfriend takes mine out…fretting all day, looking at my watch every 30 seconds when he doesn't come back on the dot of when he said he would!

Doubt I'd be allowed out on my own in his baby though (Renault 5 GT Turbo) although I am the only one who CAN undo the petrol cap and put it back…last time he drove home with it off because he'd already spent 15 minutes trying on the garage forecourt!

Rach  :D

Back to the top
i dont get worried when my gf borrows my mk1 cab coz she dont use it says she dont like driveing it  :? says steerings to heavy but she had a old mini with 7/13inch rims on it before she got her mk4 bolf  and thats got 19s on it  :lol:
she goes out and checks the bolf after ive used it  :roll:

Back to the top
tut tut tut

Back to the top
i let the gf use my mk1 scirocco gls that was the only one i have ever seen with no rot or welding for work one summer as i had a storm to .the plan was to have both on the road that summer for me  so i let her use it for work to get the tax money from her for the two cars a good plan till she hit the kerb at 70mph swerved hit the crash barrier spun then hit it again at the back so it looked like a polo .so think on hire a corsa she might crash it.

Back to the top
Phil - shouldn't you be more worried if she reads this?!?!

Rich

Back to the top

G/f`s.....pass the asprin

Before l dig a hole for myself let me just say… l know not all women are bad drivers, my sis drives 38 tonners for a living and has done for the past 15yrs…accident free..l wonder why  :wink:  

As for g/f`s….. where to begin…. :lol: ….l once owned a 1963 moggy minor..( 1 previous owner from new ) it was 25yrs old when l bought it, had 27k on the clock, FULL service history, absolutely mint. it may have been a moggy but it was as close to true love…as l`ve been  :wink: …one day l loaned it to my g/f, so she could go to work as l was servicing her car that day having serviced her the night before :lol:

As lunch time approached, she called to say that she`d had a puncture,  was stuck and unable to change the spare. Now l`d gone over the change wheel exercise with her in the am ( again) and here l was having to go out and save her. So yours truly sets off and as l arrive at the destination a scene of utter devastation ( the g/f had called me from the hospital it turned out, she didn`t say this at the time the cop l meet tells me instead ) my moggy is sitting in the middle of the road with it`s n/s front end crumpled, wishbone twisted into the chassis, a write off..!

The g/f leaves hospital the same day with a broken thumb, and a headache ( which she got when the 650cc honda bike engine l was carrying in the boot had on impact come through the rear seat and smacked her on the head )…..other than that nothing else was wrong with her except maybe some guilt… :mrgreen:

And yes….. she is an ex`…… :lol:

kenny

if life was meant to be easy l`d be on an island with…..my mk1 and penelope cruz…

Back to the top

Re: G/f`s.....pass the asprin

cadmanmk1 said

… l know not all women are bad drivers

:lol: LMFAO

Back to the top
Phil,

my missus doesn't like driving the Golf - she's driven it a couple of times last year when we went on holiday - basically i needed to come back to work for a couple of days and she wouldn't tow the caravan, so she followed in the golf. Have to say, i was a littlenervous, but she did ok.

Could you not give over the keys to the Range Rover? Or try another dealer for the cable?

'85 GTi Cabriolet
'80 Kawasaki KDX 175
'93 Kawasaki ZZR 600
'97 Chrysler Grand Voyager

Back to the top

mcscrew said

Phil - shouldn't you be more worried if she reads this?!?!

Rich

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

We'll just have to tell her about it next meet :wink:

'85 GTi Cabriolet
'80 Kawasaki KDX 175
'93 Kawasaki ZZR 600
'97 Chrysler Grand Voyager
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.