Skip navigation

What makes a 'Rivage' different?

Back to the top

What makes a 'Rivage' different?

Is it just alloys and bodykit? There's one near me, that needs some tlc. Im tempted to 'pop' round and wave cash about! 8)

Back to the top
Some came with electric roof and leather interior!!

1983 MK1 PIRELLI EDITION

Alpine White LHD ("SOLD")

Back to the top
Most late cabs have the bodykit and electric roof. I think it is the interior trim, gearknob, alloys, exterior colour and side stickers that is unique to the Rivage but Walt could confirm.

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

………. but Walt could confirm.
nah he'd be too busy finding a ladyboy :wink: or washing the snow off his woman!

86 Christmas Collection Cabby GTi in Saphire Blau!

Back to the top
Ok… The Rivage and Sportline were in effect the line out models of the mk1 cabriolet, as such after about H reg the GTI cab was no longer available in standard form, so for J K and a few L reg cabriolets they were all either Rivage, Sportline or a clipper.

Colour coded body kits were on all models from 1988 onwards.

So the main differences between the two line out gti models (Rivage and Sportline) are as follows..

Engines on Rivage cloth and Sportline are 112 bhp. Rivage leather had a 95 bhp cat engine!

The power hood (standard on all three in the latter years of production) is mo hair on the Rivage (Blue on blue cars and black on green cars!)however it is plastic on the Sportline (and Clipper).

The wheels on the Rivage are the Le Castellet forged and polished 15" alloys. The advantage of a forged alloy is that you can polish them to a mirror finish and they don't oxidise the same way as normal alloy wheels. The Sportline has the black centered, silver rimmed BBS cross spoke alloys, again 15".

The Rivage has two interior specs, one is beige leather with cream carpet, the other is a black diagonal cloth interior (Velour with tiny green red and blue flecks) with black carpet (Blue on some of the earlier ones!) Also the Rivage front seats are heated. The sportline interior only comes in cloth. Black with red detailing. The front seats are Recaro but not heated!

The Rivage has Metalic paint as standard, either classic blue metalic or classic green pearl metalic. The Sportline is either Red or Black.

Both Rivage and Sportline have MFA computer.

Some interesting features on all three are heat insulating glass and heated washer jet nozzles!

Decals show the model name and are on the rear quarters, half way between the side strip and sill for Rivage and Sportline, above the side strip and to the rear for the clipper!

Hood covers, PVC for Sportline and Clipper, Rivage had option of blue mo hair or cream pvc to match the leather!

Hope this sorts out a few things for you!

:mrgreen:

Back to the top
Blimey! I was only asking 8O  8)  :lol:

cheers Walt!

with respect to colours though,  the one im looking is white. :dontknow:

Back to the top
Is it a cab? What year?  :)

Back to the top
Yes its a cab, i think its about H, ill take a look in a bit.

..and no, im not telling you where it is, and im not in Kings Lynn at the moment, ive moved to Kent or somewhere. :roll:  :lol:

Back to the top
Could be a gti or a clipper…  :)

Back to the top
Its got the 'rivage' decals on the sides. I'll try and get a pic-I have just been past on the way back from Tesc's, went for a look, car not there 8O , but there was an old camper (in silver with a Maltese cross on the front, which did look really nice!) in its place!

Im sure it'll be back. :twisted:

Back to the top

walt said

Rivage leather had a 95 bhp cat engine!

:mrgreen:

Only if it was a late registered digifant type fuel injection model to comply with the CAT law changes :wink:  otherwise it was a standard 112bhp DX unit

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
So there you have it! I think between us we have covered just about everything! Cheers for that correction topoftherange, my brochure is dated Jan 1993, so only covered the very last spec! Cheers! :)

Back to the top
No worries walt :lol:  my Brochures dated April 1992, and I didnt realise the Sportline had a vinyl Plastic type hood from new, mines got a mohair one on now anyway 8)  looks better and is a definate upgrade which avoids some of the shrinking or ripping on the usual stress points

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

Back to the top
I could never understand why they did that? When they had black mo hair on the green Rivage, surely it would have made sense to put the same on the sportline. Can't have saved VW that much surely?  :dontknow:

Back to the top
VW penny pinching i guess :dontknow:  dont suppose they cared too much as when new a plastic hood looks ace, its only when its 5 years old it starts to look a bit haggered, as the cars cost nearly 16k you would have thought they would all come with the top bits to start with? not like they were gonna make any more was it! :lol:

Back to the top
No point crying over spilled milk eh?….. We're all mo'd up now, so it doesn't really matter anymore I guess! :)

Back to the top
yep :lol: cant wait for the summer! no one will ever see my roof then anyway! 8)

Back to the top

SO WHAT DOES THAT MEAN ABOUT MY RIVAGE???

hi, i was reading about the differences.

said that the ones with

- cloth interior = 112bhp
- leather = 95bhp

but then said that the DX units are 112bhp

my RIVAGE had leather intrerior and DX ENGINE,

does that mean that mine is not a CAT and my engine is 112bhp????

THANKS

Back to the top
The brochure stated that the Rivage leather had a 95 bhp cat engine. All I can contribute I'm afraid, interested to know for sure though!  :dontknow:

Back to the top
I don't like to add things if i'm not sure.  But its never stopped me before!!

I think all 92'on registered cars had to comply with new emissions and therefore all 92'on cars, have a CAT catalytic converter.  Regardless of what else the car has e.g leather, DX engine type, 16V, 4 doors. etc.

So unless i'm mistaken (probably) it doesn't matter about interior spec just registration of car.

I think this is right :roll:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.