Skip navigation

Club stands for the big shows are booking up quick

Back to the top

Club stands for the big shows are booking up quick

I read on another forum or website somewhere, that at one of the big shows this year, the club stands were already 80% booked up. So its probably worth getting ourselves sorted out and at least making a provisional booking for say, 10-15 cars, at the major shows of the year.

A while back (in another thread about Gaydon) I posted this list of events to 'push' the club at:

All Types (North Wales)
Ultimate Dubs (Telford)
GTI International (Bruntingthorpe, Warwickshire?)
VW Action (Staffordshire)
Tatton Park (Cheshire)
Gaydon (Warwickshire)
Edition 38 (Northampton)
Classic Motor Show (NEC Birmingham)

I appreciate there are more events, for example there's VAG in Preston, which is a new show. And 2 shows at Santa Pod (GTI Spring Festival and GTI Festival). And then there's a bunch of other aircooled ones too.

An events calendar is coming soon, its #2 in the list of "things to do" for the website team.

Back to the top
Ahem V.A.G 2007! lol

Back to the top

Re: Club stands for the big shows are booking up quick

paul_c said

So its probably worth getting ourselves sorted out and at least making a provisional booking for say, 10-15 cars, at the major shows of the year.

Sounds a good idea to me.

Banner

Back to the top

ew said

paul_c said

So its probably worth getting ourselves sorted out and at least making a provisional booking for say, 10-15 cars, at the major shows of the year.

Sounds a good idea to me.

Hairyarse where are you???? Do you want to do the bookings, or do we start asking for volunteers for each show?

Back to the top
Paul,

The Ultimate Dubs stand is currently OUTSIDE, however Dean has said that if an inside space becomes available then we can have it.  :lol:
There is also a 'Retro' display that owners can participate in AND a Mk1 Golf 'car park' by the front doors for everyone else.

Dan

Back to the top
Do you mean we've (unless an inside one comes up) already missed out on an inside stand at Ultimate Dubs?

Back to the top

paul_c said

Do you mean we've (unless an inside one comes up) already missed out on an inside stand at Ultimate Dubs?

Yes, but not for the want of trying.  Dano tried to get the interest going back in Sept…
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=14680

…with little reponse.

Banner

Back to the top
I think what other clubs do is simply book their stand, taking a guess at the number of cars, as soon as offers are invited from the event organisers. Then if they don't get the response, or too much, they either end up cancelling the stand, having it sparsely populated or overfilling it (or perhaps having a 1st come 1st served approach to it).

It makes it a bit more random and there could be problems that way, but at least it would get us a stand at the shows????

Back to the top
Fair point there Paul.

Banner

Back to the top
Not an easy situation, but I know from an organisers point of view if we don't turn up with the goods we may only get allocated a small plot the following year and it doesn't give us credibility. I think we always should try for back ups in case people have to drop out.

Banner

Back to the top
I think a good part of the problem, is that there's just so many shows. So the club members who want to go, are spread out quite thin and it ends up maybe only 5-6 members willing to put their cars onto a club stand, per show. Hence the idea behind focusing on some shows, and attending the others in a more 'unofficial' way.

But I agree, its a bit of an issue but its the thing (a good, consistent presence at the shows) which is going to take the club from being a mainly internet thing into something bigger and better.

Back to the top
Certainly too many shows too attend for a club our size, but I think the ones you picked are a good spread of location, time of year and mix of standard/modified concentration. Don't know why there were not many takers for Ultimate Dubs. Maybe too early in the year and we have relatively few members in that area?

Banner

Back to the top

An events calendar is coming soon, its #2 in the list of "things to do" for the website team.

Has the events calander been done?

I'd love to go to a couple of really good shows to have a look around, but don't know which ones to choose as there are so many.  Any "must see" events?

Team Sewell

Back to the top
To be fair, I'd hate to book a stand and then pull out cause of lack of numbers from the club. Its not fair on the organisers or other clubs that want the space.

What Dean has said is that we have a spot on the understanding that someone else has to pull out first. BUT we still have an outside spot in anycase for the club.

The inside stand was to be for the BEST display cars so that the club could compete as part of the overall show n shine catagory. With no takers or poorer condition vehicles (as opposed to the Clean B/ show cars brigade) then we wouldn't stand a chance of a prize.

Its a shame really because for 20 odd year old cars, so of them are in really good condition and able to take on the others once the age factor is taken into account.

I did ask you all !!!  :dontknow:

Dan

Back to the top
How many clubs ask for a stand really early on and then pull out, though? The shows I've been to, the other clubs have plenty of cars and don't seem to have a problem - having said that, neither do we, once showday arrives.

I am guessing the other clubs book up early, then heavily promote their club stand, badgering members to fill it up and go onto it. For our club, the show side of things seems much more low key. It seems there are plenty of Mk1s which go to the shows, but for one reason or another aren't on our club stand.

Take an example - Edition 38 - there were 6 or 7 on the club stand, and at least as many Mk1s in the show area. Also there were club members who didn't know about the club stand and kept their car in the camping area.

Back to the top
Sorry I'm late in on this one chaps - been away all week! :cry:

It is a difficult one to tackle - a lot of times there is issue with no one committing to going on a club stand and I don't want us as a club to be booking stands up early, denying other clubs of space and then pulling out last minute as it's not the reputation I want us to gain.

We have always wanted the regional areas/managers to take more control/responsibility for organising the interest for shows in their areas.

As Rajan said, the list you put up Paul is a good one and a good spread. I will be looking to book club stands (pending confirmation of interest from members that they'll attend) I know Dano is taking Ultimate Dubs in to hand - I'll be rallying round the other Regional Reps to assist with the others.

Cheers
Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I don't think it needs to be restricted to the regional manager/area, shows are national things and our bit is typically organised at distance by email/messages/phone etc. To that effect, I don't mind helping out on one. The only one I know I'll definitely be at is GTI Inters. So if its okay with everyone else, I'll look after the club bit at GTI International?

Back to the top
Already in hand Paul - will let you know if any help required closer the time.

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Cool - does that mean I don't have to worry about any shows then?

Back to the top

paul_c said

Hairyarse said

Cool - does that mean I don't have to worry about any shows then?

No! I'm sure I'll be needing help as can't do all, but Inters is booked. Will keep you/all posted on where we are and what help is needed :wink:

Cheers again
Andy

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.