Skip navigation

One of my rear wheels sit 1inch inwards?

Back to the top

One of my rear wheels sit 1inch inwards?

Just looking down the side of my gti cab and the n/s rear alloy sits about an inch tucked in under the car compared to the other. Haven't had time to fully investigate….alloys look the same offset. What could be the explanation for this? Handles and drives beautifully… and it's barely noticeable…just wondering?

Back to the top
has it got an after market bodykit on? is it aligned properly?
also check your coil springs to make sure its not snaped a coil of as they usaly do! or your shocker lost fluid? check bushes etc for excessive play

simon

p.s. check tyre size aswell on the sidewall

i always have the last laugh ;)

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/sim0n_parker/paulforwebsite.jpg

<a href="

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

Back to the top
Thanks simon…always good to go out with a checklist. Will have a look this week.  :)

Back to the top
If all the above is correct check the alignment of the rear wheel.  You can adjust the aligment by shimming behind the sub axle which is held by 4 bolts.  the other more major issue is a bent rear axle - Used axles are pretty cheap.

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
Never heard of shims being uysed to space the hub unless going for negative rear camber?
If the axle was bent, surely that would be very noticeable by the angle of the wheel. The car would probably not drive straight either and be twitchy in the bends!

You can't really say the the "Offset looks the same"… Offset can change the way a wheel looks, if it is of a certain design, otherwise, you would really have to measure or read the markings to be sure.

What wheels are they out of curiosity? If they are standard, then offset won't be an issue, if they are after market, then this is most likely the cause.

Back to the top
minor adjustments can be made to thr camber and tracking of rear wheels using shims

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
When i said the offset looks the same i mean that the thickness of material which attches to the drum looks the same on both sides. The handling feels great - not jittery and corners like its on rails... the tyres did seem to squeal more when turning left in a carpark tonight though...might just be paranoid. The samber of the rear wheels looks the same...the n/s just sits in more.

Back to the top
So - What wheels are they?

Back to the top
Ronal 5 spokes 15"

Back to the top
I've noticed that many Mk1's are like that - it may be that they are all like that, but it's only noticeable when you put on wider wheels, and the tyre on one side is noticeably closer to the arch than the other.

My brother noticed it on his Mk1 when he fitted 15" rims, so he put a spacer on one side…

Back to the top
Really?? That seems abit odd? Any1 got an explantion for that?

Back to the top
Probably because Mk1's were designed in the early 70's, before robotic building techniques, and probably before CAD helped them design things down to the last tenth of a milimetre.

Back to the top
I can't see that being the case…???

Sound like someone has put a set of ronals on the car, smashed one up and found a single replacement, not realising the offset is different.

Get it off and check for markings!

Back to the top
Another reason might be that the car has a new rear quarter panel fitted, and it sits out a little further than the original

Back to the top
Here's some pics of the rear wheels…

N/S

O/S

O/S

N/S

N/S

O/S

Back Shot

Back to the top
DEFINATLEY looks like the camber needs to be adjusted on that one.....

i live to dub....

Back to the top
gonna book in for friday

Back to the top
I might be way off here, but…..

The wheels of both my '83 1.3 CL & '90 1.8 Cabby sit further under the arches on the nearside than the offside.

I was told that this was done to balance the cars, as the engine weight is not evenly distributed with the bulk of the weight to the offside.

Its more noticeable with larger & wider wheels & tyres and when the car is excessively lowered. Tyres may rub on the offside but clear on the nearside.

Hope this helps, Cheers

Back to the top

BONDY said

The wheels of both my '83 1.3 CL & '90 1.8 Cabby sit further under the arches on the nearside than the offside.

I was told that this was done to balance the cars, as the engine weight is not evenly distributed with the bulk of the weight to the offside.

Its more noticeable with larger & wider wheels & tyres and when the car is excessively lowered. Tyres may rub on the offside but clear on the nearside.

Hope this helps, Cheers

I knew there was a reason for it! Makes perfect sense now that it's pointed out - otherwise the car would handle differently on LH bends vs. RH bends.

Must tell the brother to remove that spacer (see my first post in this thread)

Back to the top

BONDY said

Hope this helps, Cheers

Could you possible post me some pictures to ease my mind would really appreciate it!

Thanks, Rory
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.