Skip navigation

cheap insurance for younger drivers

Back to the top

cheap insurance for younger drivers

alex trevellyan? pleased to meet you 006 :)

same advice as the others, adrian flux and admiral were the best for me. try putting older relatives (especialy women) on the policy, it actualy knocks money off alot of the time, they think you will be sharing the car between some experienced drivers. limiting the mileage helps alot as well. make sure you get your own no claims built up though, it will pay off in the future.

Atlas Grey Mk2 8v

Back to the top

AlexM said

bish said

im 17and  have a mk1 driver 1.3 i got my own insurance for ?1300.
didnt think that was too bad!

18 in 2 weeks and got an insurance quote for a mk 1 gti 1600
for the same price!

Which company was that?

sounds good im getting a 1.8 gti hopefully 2moro im 19 with a yrs no claims and am dreadding the cost of insurance, mite keep it in the garage till i get 2 yrs no claim and will give me a change 2 get it all sorted out too. any ideas anyone

Back to the top
The thing you have to remember with insurance companies is they all have a 'target audience' so to speak. If you fit in with their 'target' then you'll get a good quote. If you don't, then you won't. That's why different people get entirely different quotes from the same companies on the same or simelar vehicles.  Most of it is down to your postcode.

I recently moved from one side of my town to another. Cost me an extra ?80 on the insurance just for moving!!

Mike.

1983 White cabriolet GTi

Back to the top
I've just turned 19 and i have a years no claims as a named driver.
I live in a medium risk area, and it would be parked in the street.

Budget (the company who's currently ripping me off for my daily driver) actually offered me a decint deal for my mk1.

I was quoted ?571.91 for a 1.3 driver fc (in my own name)
and ?1321-ish for a 1.8 gti fc (imon)

My first year of driving was not a cheap one! Lol realising my golf would'nt be ready for me being road legal i decided to hp a group 4, w reg 1.4 lx 206 3dr. It cost me as a named driver ?2063 for the year fc! (Because of hp it had to be insured fully comp) See my problem was to insure a group 13 206 gti fc in my own name would have cost ?2080. Where is the justice in that?:evil:  Unfortunetly i only found out a month prior to the end of my policy!
So a sick young lad i was!  :banghead:
I just though i'd share this seeing im younger and hate insurance too!
Ebo

1.3 Driver - 1.8t in progress
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=56551

Daily driver : e36 325 tdi se / slammed on konis and bbs rco401's
Daily offroader : discovery 1 6" lift monster :D

Back to the top

camel said

AlexM said

bish said

im 17and  have a mk1 driver 1.3 i got my own insurance for ?1300.
didnt think that was too bad!

18 in 2 weeks and got an insurance quote for a mk 1 gti 1600
for the same price!

Which company was that?

sounds good im getting a 1.8 gti hopefully 2moro im 19 with a yrs no claims and am dreadding the cost of insurance, mite keep it in the garage till i get 2 yrs no claim and will give me a change 2 get it all sorted out too. any ideas anyone

Shopping around really is key. Try putting parents on your policy as this helps too. Limiting the mileage is a key factor also.

As already mentioned, it dependent on your post code at the end of the day.

I was 18 when I was looking for insurance and finally got a quote for ?1200 odd pounds with zero no claims bonus. I do seem to remember that there was a policy that had 'classic' status at 19 though.  :dontknow:

Hope this helps and good luck!  :D

Back to the top
helo cheers guys, i no i have gotta shop around!

i bought a 1983 mars red gti on the weekend!!!!!! woo hoooo in reasonable condition only minor rust in usual places, cars soild, needs new wing n possibly bonet, but not bad over all!!!

hey ebo, not a bad price 4 a gti fully comp woul like 2 gett it a bit cheeper tho!!

Back to the top
I think it's Lancaster insurance that will put under 25yr olds on a classic policy. I had mine insured with them when I was 23. The only flaw with that is normally for a classic policy you have to have a second car available to you, which at the time I did, but obviously a lot of younger drivers don't have that luxury, therefore classic policies are not very useful to you.

Give them a call thou, they might be able to help you.

Mike.

1983 White cabriolet GTi

Back to the top
cool cheers mike another one to ad to the list of ones to cheack out

ha

Back to the top
Insurance time for me again this week.  8O  :?

Still 19, and with zero years no claims.

Going to try;

HIC

Liverpool Victoria

Adrian Flux

Budget

Lancaster

Any other's spring to mind.  Really do need a classic policy so I can get an agreed valuation, as my car is worth a couple of pennies more than the ?500 they would pay out at trade price.  :roll:

Back to the top
marsredgti,

Try :-

Elephant

Admiral

as well.

Andy

Back to the top
Thanks for that Andy.  :wink:

Back to the top
it's one of the great things about ageing. cheap insurance. :D
it's a helluva lot dearer for youngsters now than when i first started driving.

Back to the top
Turning 20 in June, but at current am still 19, so got quoted at ?820 TPFT with me as main driver etc. Policy was bought on Friday for car.

So basically, if it dies/burns/stolen, ?500(market value) my way and that is all. Can't get agreed value if you are still a kid.  :|

Considering I just got a quote for rear panel replacement and spray at ?900, and in the summer I got new wings, front panel and put on a jig (to straighten the whole thing up) for almost twice that,  I think that I will not be in the mk1 game for too much longer.  :( :dontknow:

Back to the top

marsredgti said

Turning 20 in June, but at current am still 19, so got quoted at ?820 TPFT with me as main driver etc. Policy was bought on Friday for car.

Stay with it marsredgti  8)

Which Company was that with please ?

Andy

Back to the top
admiral/elephant. (underwritten by the same corporation)

?800 :ouch:

Back to the top

HIC

Well planning on getting my 1800 GTi (modified) on the road by the end of march. Im 19 with 1yr nc, had quotes for 3000-4000, except HIC who came up with ?1425 with agreed value of ?2000 with 10,000 miles, i can't really grumble at that now can i!? Good luck everybody! carlos
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.