Skip navigation

Check this out it's flying on ebay

Back to the top

Check this out it's flying on ebay

it all dont look right, the people bidding, feedback, etc etc, i think there was some serious interest but  thats dropped out , reckon its a relisted due to timewasters case

i asked a question thro ebay , how come its not shown on the bottom. is that an option when selling.

and why not show the question if its in factory condition etc etc

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
It seems that its not possible to find a mint car hiding away in a barn, for a knockdown price any more. If you want a top quality GTI, then you have to search nationally (that's probably going to mean eBay these days) and pay a top price. And have your laundry displayed in public, while doing it…..

I know the car's not perfect but its a good place to start from, the faults wouldn't be difficult ones to correct (except maybe those holes in the scuttle).

If/when it goes through, I wish the owner a happy future with it. The top bidder is probably sitting at his computer having kittens, at the moment.

Back to the top
?3,800.01  8)

Back to the top
?4,544.00  8O   8)

Back to the top
Yay! I won the competition to see who'd guess the closest price:

AL_Mk1 guessed ?4500
I guessed ?4000-4500 but then I said I bet it goes for more
cabriaulait guessed ?5000

I suppose AL_Mk1 rightfully earns the victory though, cos I was a bit vague……

Shame the car has to be driven through this:

Back to the top

paul_c said

Shame the car has to be driven through this:

Cabby prices have just fallen :wink:

85 Polo squareback
MK1 MX5

Back to the top
Hi folks , ( I'm a new member as of tonight ,) and thought you might like to know I was one of the bidders but , while following the auction , I was also following this thread and picked up on your comments .
I started to get more and more anxious as you folks spotted more and more issues ! I still thought no prob. until the mention of the scuttle drilling and the strange washer arrangement ? !
Oh well , I'll have to keep looking ……………don't know whether to curse you all or thank you all ! :banghead:
Ronaldo

Back to the top

ronaldo said

Hi folks , ( I'm a new member as of tonight ,) and thought you might like to know I was one of the bidders but , while following the auction , I was also following this thread and picked up on your comments .
I started to get more and more anxious as you folks spotted more and more issues ! I still thought no prob. until the mention of the scuttle drilling and the strange washer arrangement ? !
Oh well , I'll have to keep looking ……………don't know whether to curse you all or thank you all ! :banghead:
Ronaldo

As said above, you could do a LOT worse than that car, though I think it went for too much money, considering he was selling it as original, and it obviously wasn't.

Keep looking though, you'll find your dream car soon!.

AL - King of the "Guess the value of the car" competition! hehehe

Back to the top
I know that the horse has bolted as such and the auction is over, but I though that I'd contribute my two pence worth…

My main point is that mine has only covered 52 thousand miles, and is on totally original paint, wheels, everything… and it has WAY more stonechips/marks (not many, obviously) than that! This car has deffo seen paint.

Also, whilst there is no really good reason for it… I get the feeling theres something not quite right about this car  :?

Thats me.

Back to the top

ronaldo said

Ronaldo

Isn't the internet great! :wink:

Ronaldo, the best advice is for you to read and learn for a while. There are still plenty of mk1s around. The nice ones are out there and do come up for sale, but do tread carefully, it is a bit of a minefield.

You should find anything you need on this site, and if you're inclined to go via ebay, make sure you post the link up here for the full forensic examination!

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
I thought my car was pretty original, although I do know it's had a respray. I don't know if I wana bring it out to show you lot after seeing how you've ripped this one apart lol. Can't believe how much this went for obviously the winning bidder isn't someone who post's on here. Will be intersting to see if it does turn up although will also be a little sad if the person thinks they've got a totaly original hum dinger and then reads all this. Maybe you should remove this thread to spare their feelings. :wink:

MK1 GTI 1983 (love of my life)
Mazda MX3 1.8 V6 ( Daily Drive)

Back to the top

stew72 said

Fantastic ad, BUT he must know its been sprayed, we all know its been sprayed, my guess its not as good as it looks. 4.5k and the buyer pulls out.

:wink:

Back to the top

stew72 said

stew72 said

4.5k and the buyer pulls out.

:wink:

Good point - We'll have to keep an eye out for a re-listing!!! It could happen…

Cars always look better in photos I find. In real life, you can see the imperfections that bit more. I reckon that this car is not so stunning in the flesh… Overspray etc will stand out much more…

Back to the top
shall i send mr dean james the link to this thread  that could be fun…

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
Last week I asked the seller (who is a trader) what he meant by FSH, as there are two gaps in the service history,
1st for over 5 years and 14k miles, and the 2nd from 1998 until this trader got hold of it, so 7 1/2 years and 24k miles

he just politely said he had 'other history' but couldn't verify it….

he's a trader - his ad is copied word-for-word for every car he sells, so therefore the AD (although very slick) actually tells us… nothing at all. The photos tell us a great deal (as has been noted the wheel caps are a problem) and the car has clearly been very well looked after - but not by the seller. You can see the car has been polished, and 'bumper black' has been slapped on everything else to give a good contrast in the photos.

It may or may not be a good car, but you could never tell from his AD.

He's not far from me so I was going to go up there, but when his AD turns out to be… wrong… the car does NOT have a FSH, there is no point in my mind.

Back to the top
I thought the ad was very descriptive and the pics told you a lot. You can't have a go at someone for prepping a car for sale by polishing it, etc.

So there are a few things wrong with it and some grey areas needed following up. But then it didn't go for top money either.

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

I thought the ad was very descriptive and the pics told you a lot. You can't have a go at someone for prepping a car for sale by polishing it, etc.

So there are a few things wrong with it and some grey areas needed following up. But then it didn't go for top money either.

no the point I'm making is that he has EXACTLY the same AD for every car he sells…

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZmrdjames

here are his 2 current cars - yes he changes some of the text, but the flannel is identical.

He will have had some poor kid polish it up so it looks good in a photo - so therefore you could never tell from his AD whether it is a good car or not, even from the pictures

As you have all pointed out, there are various details that are wrong/have not been put back after the respray, but it might still be a great car.

Back to the top
send him the thread go on you know u want to

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
If I was buying a ?4k car from a trader I would expect it to be polished though.

Banner

Back to the top
sending him this thread would be mildly amusing, but you have to remember he couldn't care less.

Stating the obvious, he buys low mileage cars off of old/lazy people, and sells them on for profit.

He has no scuples IMO as he has got wrong what the Law calls 'material fact' - you can't avoid this by being vague; e.g. he states FSH and when pushed he admits 'he cannot verify all of the history he has'.

How many other claims (e.g. the antifreeze and brake fluid is clean being free of contamination, as is the oil ) are just plain silly but meant to make a potential buyer feel good?

I laugh at his rhetoric, but he couldn't care less.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.