Skip navigation

Too Tall for MK1 !!

Back to the top

Too Tall for MK1 !!

During my ownership of a Mk1 Cabrio with tilting seat I've realised how little headroom my Mk1 tintop with factory sunroof offers. I want to retain the same interior cloth but wondered if anyone had any ideas on how I could avoid the bumps to my head. Is it just a case of re-skinning a cabrio,scirocco, polo coupe seat with my GTI's cloth or are the dimensions different. The cabrios seat seems to be somehow more slender, with thinner bolsters.

:dontknow:

DubPartz

Back to the top
Hi,take your head off when you drive  8O
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
Tried that but apparently I had a couple of near misses on a recent drive out

DubPartz

Back to the top
I swapped from the standard low spec Golf seats to the Scirocco GT2 ones with the height adjustment. I now sit 3-4" lower in the car. I'm 6'4".

Back to the top
Tie a sponge to your head!! :lol:

Just a thought, the corrado has a low roof, maybe those seats would offer better head clearance?

Banner

Back to the top
scirocco seat have height adjustment and all mk2 GTIs from about 87/88 but the seat pad is different, but i'm sure you could swop every thing over and it would look ok.
If that doesn't work try opening the sunroof :lol:

Back to the top
Why don't you try lowering the car by say, 40mm, but leave the roof where it is.

Back to the top
i feel for ya mate! how tall are ya? my legs are wrapped around the steering wheel (ended up getting a new un) put the seat right back then put the height right down then fannied around with the recliner to get owt near.  could always cut chair from frame and re-mount tho i spose! another one on the to do list

Back to the top
Yeah, how tall are you!!? im nearly 6'5" and posses the ability to stear with my knees!! never bang my head tho, then again i sink about 3 inches into the seat!, needs new foam i think :wink:

Greg :D

1981 Golf C 1.1
1982 Golf GTI
1992 Corrado G60
1999 Golf GT TDI

Back to the top
Blimey, I'm not alone…. there are some tall people out there. I'm 6'4" too and I think this, plus the extra drop inside the roof of the FF sunroof, plus the jittery ride over bumps from the coilovers are all contributing factors. I think I'll look to source a reclining seat from either a scirocco or polo coupe as they seem to be the nearest in design and take it, plus my drivers seat to the local trimmers who can hopefully re-skin it. I want to keep the original interior trim.

Thanks for the suggestions, even the daft ones ones.

DubPartz

Back to the top
I am tall.

Pete.

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top
I too am 6"4'.

Non-Sunroof models are fine though, it is just the roof that takes up critical cranium space!

Back to the top
wooooo, theres a whole army of us out there!! :mrgreen:

and i thought i was in a minority!

Greg :wink:

1981 Golf C 1.1
1982 Golf GTI
1992 Corrado G60
1999 Golf GT TDI

Back to the top
I'm 6'4'' too and I there is bags of room. I could wear a crash helmet in mine and still have head room. I must have long legs or something.

How about a TVR Sagaris style roof bulge mod? he he :lol:

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
im 6' 2", hope that helps. :dontknow:

Simon R - YouTube

MGH 178Y - 16v - Gone :(

KHJ 888Y - Gone

Back to the top
Short arse :lol:

Back to the top
Where are all the short people on here?!?!?

Anyone (apart from me) below 6'?

Back to the top
6'9"  :oops:
Just enough room for me! Although the space between door handle, my right knee and the steering wheel is minimal!

Cheers,

Liam

Back to the top
no sunroof though!  :D

Cheers,

Liam

Back to the top
6'9"  8O I'm amazed. Good job we're not all into mini's (the British ones !).
I'm a 33-34" inside leg which isn't too bad. I think my height is more down to upper torso length….hence my problem.
Whose the smallest MK1 owner then ?
I can feel a good group photo coming on     :D

DubPartz
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.