Skip navigation

What's the most number of owners you've ever seen on a car??

Back to the top

What's the most number of owners you've ever seen on a car??

Inspired by MarkT who has just joined with a golf with 18 previous owners  8O , see here http://www.vwgolfmk1.o…ewtopic&t=8611&highlight=  got me thinking, what's the most number of owners you've ever seen on a car?? and secondly, what the most number of owners on a car that you've owned??

No making it up, truthful stories only!!   :lol:  :lol:

The most number of owners I've personally had on a car is 8 on my 1988 MK2 Golf GL that I've just sold.  I have seen a car with 12 owners that my friend owned, it was a 1986 Astra SRi and was pretty clapped out.

Can anyone beat markT's 18 owners???

Mike.

1983 White cabriolet GTi

Back to the top
I wonder if the ad said "only 18 careful owners"  :lol:

The most I've ever had was 11. It was an old 1983 range rover that had been round the block a bit.

'91 Cabriolet

Back to the top
sadly my Campaign has had the most owners with 12, but the last 5 were in the last 4 years. one owner just had it for a month 1 for 3 months, the last owner for 6 months. Put every owner had things done to it. But I will sat yhe engine is a little cracker always wanting to pull away. Have to keep myself in check  :mrgreen:

GTI Campaign Helios Blue, Going back Standard
GTI Campaign Schwartz Black shouldn't have sold
GTI Mk7 Performance pack Daily drive
Polo 1.4sel Sunset Orange The Wife's
Triumph Tiger

Back to the top
If I remember right my Cabby had 14 before me

That was 1 for every year in it's life!  when i bought it, it had only done 60k which was an average of about 4k a year so i worked it out that all these ppl must have had it for 1 summer each!

Back to the top
There was a Cabby on ebay the other month with 17. 8O

Cabbys and GTIs tend to be seen as fashion items by some :? , are bought and then after a short time the novelty wears off and they are sold. :cry:

I'm only the 3rd owner of my 24yr old GTI and of my 15 yr old Caddy.

Of course its best to have 0 previous owners :lol:

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Don't know about number of owners but in 4 years of driving My girlfriend and I have had 19 cars between us.
We were always getting old recks for less than a grand and running them into the ground. Much as it pains me to say it the most relibale was an old 1.4 MK2 astra that I bought for ?600. I never checked the oil, water, serviced it and used to take it off roading and it never gave up. sold it to some one for ?300 after 6 months.
Had two MK2 8v Gti's but one had 240k on the clock and the other had 190k. Blew up the first one racing a metro down the A46 (shameful)
I do take better care of my cars now especially my beloved mk1

MK1 GTI 1983 (love of my life)
Mazda MX3 1.8 V6 ( Daily Drive)

Back to the top
The car from 'Home Mechanics' mag had 21! :lol:

Back to the top
26 on a cabby I bought,came without a v5 so if I had known I would of offerd less

Back to the top
my 1980 golf has had 11 . the lowest i had was 5 owners on a 95 williams clio and my old 95 astra had 13 . my rs2000 has had 7 .

Back to the top
I'm the fifth owner of my Golf, though perhaps really only fourth as it was a company car to start with.

Both my Audi and Passat I'm the second owner.

Most I ever saw was my original 1.1 Golf C, with 13, but that was back in 1994! It's not on the road any longer though. :cry:

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
my mk1 cab has had 12 owners it will be a summer thing then sell but im not selling had it 2 years now
my 92 mk2 gti has only had one owner and he gave me the original receipt for ?13,500  8O

JOEL GTI
1979 mk1 c 1.1L 33k sold :(
1983 mk1 GX 1.5L sold
1983 mk1 gti 1.6 cab sold
1984 mk2 polo 1.0 rat sold
1982 mk1 gti 1.8 sold
1984 mk2 GTI 16V vw motorsport project 16V very rare striped dead!
1985 mk2 GTI 8V runing 140BHP (track car) striping! Dead
1986 mk2 GL 1.8Ldead
1987 mk2 GTI 16V SOLD
Lots of mk3 gti's vr6's and a tdi all sold
1992 mk2 GTI 8V  runout edition sold then bought then sold the bought back and striped!
1990 mk2 GTI 8V in tornado red new car :)

Back to the top
My NOVA i had 11yrs ago had 17 previous owners! and i still sold it for 200quid!

86 Christmas Collection Cabby GTi in Saphire Blau!

Back to the top
my 79 gti that i miss dearly  :tlc:  had 15 owners before me, i'm still so sensitive about that car, leave me now i need time to recall
 :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Back to the top
My sportline's had 14 previous owners. The guy I bought it off said he'd just bought it for Run to the Sun  :roll:

Back to the top
Mines had 17 former keepers according to the V5….

but they must have looked after it, only 120K.

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
My 1988 GTI Cab has only had 2 other owners, 1 company really, a company director then his wife (me for the last 6 yrs) every MOT and bill and FSH, I'm always put off by ANY car which has had 10+ owners, frankly because each time the car changes hands it invariably sells for less money - so logically, the majority of time the subsequent owners are generally prepared to spend a little less and less on the cars upkeep.

My rule is buy a car on condition backed up with history - if a car only has 2 or 3 owners over 10 years+ backed up with service history and bills showing lots of money spent regularly service etc. - its most likely a straight car - irrespective of its being a high miler.

If its had 12+ owners and has a patchy service history etc. and is showing low miles for its age its just a tad suspicious - who know what skeletons lie within.

Obviously if a car has been refurb properly from being a tired example things are different.

Back to the top
a mate of mine has a 1980 XR3 non injection ( lovely car ), and thats had LOTS of owners, over 20 i think !!  8O

Real golfers don't play with clubs

Back to the top
I'll buy a car (assuming its all legal) on condition and price.  Thats it.

fsh means so very little these days.  a 10 owner car looked after by enthusiasts could be better than a 1 owner car taken to dealerships once a year without so much as a look under the bonnet between.  Certainly on cars as old as ours anyway.

tbh I have never even looked at number of prev owners.

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
I agree. The no. of owners and SH doesn't put me off either.

A low mileage, 1 owner car could be more knackered than one thats been used regularly. If its got a full service history and its an old car there will have been plenty of chances for garage monkeys to do bodge repairs, or not replaced stuff when they claim they have.

The cambelt may have never been changed as its done so few miles but the age of the car may mean its perishing.

The cooling system may need work from little use allowing the radiator to corrode/silt up.

I looked at an F reg clipper that had done 40k with fsh, been garaged all its life. The water pump bearings were screaming, the roof was original so was starting to crack and needed replacing and the arches had so much mud stuck under them like they'd never been cleaned out - I bet the filler neck was ripe for replacement! I expect the suspension was probably original and tired too.  The seller wanted ?4k

Definately judge a car on its condition and look it over througly no matter what its history suggests.

Back to the top
At the other end of the ownership scale, my dad has just traded in his  165,000-mile 1981 Toyota Starlet (KP60 model) after buying it new in June '81 (would have been a W-plate if it was a UK car).

The old log-book had spaces for up to 10 owners, but the "first owner" space was the only one filled in…

I feel a bit sad now, I was only 12 when it was bought, and when I learned to drive and passed my test in it, it was already 11 years old - having it disappear is like when an old pet dies…  :cry:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.