Skip navigation

Are women really better drivers than men?

Back to the top

Are women really better drivers than men?

well I got 1 minor on my driving test all those years ago  :twisted:

wouldn't be that good now though.. crossing hands is the PROPER way to drive with full grip of the steering wheel at all times.. none of this feeding it through malarky

Hairy needs to get on the case for a go-karting day  :wink:  :y: and the more weight the better to keep the grip round corners  :twisted:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top

Re: Boys v girls!

walt said

Well maybe we could make a few challenges and get a few more people involved! Could be quite a good event! So me v jennybugs in the cook off! Philmk1gti v kate in the driving challenge!
Anyone else like to throw down the gauntlet! ? :D

Coolio!  I like this idea…an interclub/battle of the sexes games evening  :lol: Could get very messy!  :twisted:

Pablo16v Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Boys v girls!

walt wrote:
We could all camp together which would be nice!  

Oooh! Shut that door………I'm Freeee! …..this tie just clashes with my shirt………Ooooh I could crush a grape!

Is that camp enough for you   

You forgot the classic line…"Chase me" :lmao:

1985 MK1 Black Cabrio almost immaculate
1972 1300 Beetle Bright Orange covered in flowers Stocker almost immaculate

Back to the top

Re: Boys v girls!

jennybugs said

Coolio!  I like this idea…an interclub/battle of the sexes games evening  :lol: Could get very messy!  :twisted:

Pablo16v Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Boys v girls!

walt wrote:
We could all camp together which would be nice!  

Oooh! Shut that door………I'm Freeee! …..this tie just clashes with my shirt………Ooooh I could crush a grape!

Is that camp enough for you   

You forgot the classic line…"Chase me" :lmao:

:lol:  I never was any good at camping

'91 Cabriolet

Back to the top
women+alloys= ouwwwch :x

JOEL GTI
1979 mk1 c 1.1L 33k sold :(
1983 mk1 GX 1.5L sold
1983 mk1 gti 1.6 cab sold
1984 mk2 polo 1.0 rat sold
1982 mk1 gti 1.8 sold
1984 mk2 GTI 16V vw motorsport project 16V very rare striped dead!
1985 mk2 GTI 8V runing 140BHP (track car) striping! Dead
1986 mk2 GL 1.8Ldead
1987 mk2 GTI 16V SOLD
Lots of mk3 gti's vr6's and a tdi all sold
1992 mk2 GTI 8V  runout edition sold then bought then sold the bought back and striped!
1990 mk2 GTI 8V in tornado red new car :)

Back to the top
You boys better be carefull you will be out numbered by the girls on here soon!!!

And for the record the only scrathes on my car were caused by my husband! (Getting them removed next week) and the ony kerb mark on my alloys was caused when he let one of his mates drive my car!! Very annoying the as the wheels were refurbed last year.

"Fight Fight Fight Fight"

Yorkshire Region Host

Mk1 Cabriolet 1500 (under resto)

Mk1 GTI

Back to the top
I think men are better drivers in general. Bold statement I here you say. Here are my reasons….

I think the statistic that women are better drivers is a load of tush like a lot of statistics! :evil:

I think there are more men drivers on the road and therefore more accidents for men.
I mean if you have a bag of sweets 90 are blue and 10 are red there are going to be more blue sweets consumed first! (Unless you like red sweets and deliberately eat them first!) :lol:

Just look on the motorway and when you pass people….. , sales reps, truck driver?s etc ect mostly are men.

When families go on holiday who drives usually? Ever driven past a woman towing a caravan or trailer? :dontknow:

I'm not saying there are not women around that are not proficient truck or van drivers or even that they are incapable towing but I wonder what the actual user percentage is? :dontknow:

Ok for this instance my point being the sheer volume of traffic on motorways and the percentage of motorway traffic to all traffic. There are surely more men on motorways than women. I know a lot of women that are scared of motorway driving and will only drive on regular roads.

The way our mind works…. I think men have better spatial awareness for sure, and intern are better at manoeuvres.  :D

I do however think men take more risk than women. Things like speed under dangerous driving conditions, overtaking, and general speeding or hard driving. Women are more cautious and have a greater understanding of the risks leading to being generally safer drivers.

Safer does not mean better or more proficient?.. just safer! 8O

Finally I would just like to say it really p***es me off that women get cheaper car insurance. In today's politically correct era I believe it is completely sexist that women get cheaper insurance based on there sex and not ability. :banghead:  

P.S I have to say my mum is a fantastic driver and beats my dad hands down. My mum is a driving robot and follows the system completely?. My dad however is the lasiest driver ever?. He has a volvo estate 240 manual that he uses for work.. he insists on driving 50 everywhere?. villages, towns and a-roads! Lol and he steers with his shoulders?.he does not move his arms? merely leans his torso left or right! Ha ha. He also thinks he?s driving an auto?. and does not change gear unless he really has to i.e the engine will stall! However he can reverse boat trailers round a race track! Ha ha Just thought I would share this comedy as I find it very amusing!

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
Can't believe this thread is still going..!  8O  :scratch:  :dance:  :lmao:

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top

This thread still going!

:mrgreen:

Back to the top

Are women really better than men?

It's easy Drew…..All I do is sit here at home thinking up great threads! Tell you what I'll put another one on! Chat forum again! Here goes!  :D

Back to the top
I think I'm a good driver. I'm always aware of what's going on around me, and I can reverse park!!

I'm always confident. . . . . . until hubby is in the car with me! And yet he's the one who has a very interesting technique with lanes on roundabouts   :? and I can park better than he can!!!

Never mind tho, he loves the golfs as much as I do and he has spent most of his free time since the end of the summer either rebuilding his daughter's steering (See Rach GTi in new folks), or more recently (in the dark and freezing cold) replacing my gearbox!

(Just let's not talk about map reading and sense of direction, and I'll be OK!! :lol:  :roll:

Debs

Back to the top

drew said

Can't believe this thread is still going..!  8O  :scratch:  :dance:  :lmao:

Cheers,

Drew.

:lol:

Stubborness  :wink:

PS I can map read too!  :mrgreen:

Back to the top

debs said

I'm always confident. . . . . . until hubby is in the car with me!
(Just let's not talk about map reading and sense of direction, and I'll be OK!! :lol:  :roll: )

Debs

Why is that??? My missus is a good driver, yet her parking goes to pot when i'm in the car ( so she says )  :wink:
As for map reading I suppose its an art really and comes with practice - I have to read a map alot and it really gets me when people turn the map upsidedown to figure out where they are?! :evil:  8O

Back to the top
Its not about turning the map upside down, it's upside down already, thats the problem.

Idea - they should make the maps double sided. One side for each way - problem solved! :mrgreen:

Deb[

Back to the top
:lol: you mean a special map just for women !!!
Just kiddin, I know a few blokes who can't map read to save their lives :roll:

Back to the top
No, I'll go with that. A women's map. They could make it pink and sparkly and pretty!!! :cheer:

I'm quite happy to admit my limitations, and unfortunately I don't think I know any men who are as bad as me at directions!!!
 :D
Deb

Back to the top

debs said

No, I'll go with that. A women's map. They could make it pink and sparkly and pretty!!! :cheer:
Deb

:lol: with this way up and a big arrow 'YOU ARE HERE'  :wink:

Back to the top
I'm quite happy to admit my limitations, and unfortunately I don't think I know any men who are as bad as me at directions!!!

I reckon I could name one debs….cast your mind back to yesterday and our drive home from ultimate dubs  :roll: turned into a cross-country quest for that Shell garage you'd seen 5 miles ago!!!!

My other half seems to think that just because I have no 'no claims bonus' that I am a rubbish driver! (1st accident was my brother parking MY car on wet grass - mangled front end and wrote off his teacher's car in front! 2nd was me and a large steel post but it wasn't my fault that my car had NO rear brakes)

When I bought my Mk1 he was worried about me driving such a fast car and actually told me to"Respect the power"….don't know about any of you other ladies but that makes me drive just that little bit faster when he's in the car with me  :D

Plus I can park way better than him AND my mk 1 hasn't got power steering like his mk 2!!!!!!

Back to the top

kins said

Just look on the motorway and when you pass people….. , sales reps, truck driver?s etc ect mostly are men.

When families go on holiday who drives usually? Ever driven past a woman towing a caravan or trailer? :dontknow:

Exactly - some fine examples of men driving badly and annoying other road users!

1983 MK1 Tintop

1968 Karmann Ghia

1994 Passat VR6

1996 Passat Diesel

Back to the top

Rach_GTI said

When I bought my Mk1 he was worried about me driving such a fast car and actually told me to"Respect the power"….don't know about any of you other ladies but that makes me drive just that little bit faster when he's in the car with me  :D

:lmao:

I know what you mean!  My other half is forever telling me to slow down and respect the age of the car  :roll:
I got so hacked off with his constant looking over at the speedo that I told him to respect the fact that I have been driving for longer than him and have no speeding tickets or points under my name!

Mind you he had the last laugh once…driving down the M11 in my other mk1 and there was a clatter (just after another anti speeding lecture).

When we got home I noticed I had lost some trim, to which he replied very loudly "See?  I told you you were going to fast!"  8O

Back to the top
Er Rach…………….

Have you forgotten who was in the front helping him to navigate? :?

Anyway, I blame you and your father for falling asleep in the back seat and leaving two people with no sense of direction to take control!!!! 8O

But you have to admit that he did find his way back!  :clap:

Deb
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.