Skip navigation

Big Probs and Outta Ideas :o(

Back to the top

Big Probs and Outta Ideas :o(

Junglist, if I were you I would test the aux air vlave first to eliminate that as the problem. It should be fully closed when the car is nice and hot. Easiest way to check this would imo be to squeeze the soft hose that connects to it and see if you can here any type of air restriction. you shouln;t here any difference if its working as it should.

Once you've checked this and also checked for air leaks, I would then move onto the coil. If you have any mates with MK1's nab a coil form them that is KNOWN TO BE GOOD, and try it. Theres nothing worse than a 2nd hand coil that is knackered before you get started as you'll think taht its not the problem. Also make sure that all the HT leads are good and also make sure that the main Lead form the coil to the disi cap is puched in the coil. The MK2 leads were different to the MK1 leads and although they look like they connect on the coil they do not reach in and make propoer contact onthe coil. My bro had this on his MK1 GTI and that played up when it was hot  etc etc and kept cutting out and flutterig like it was fuel problems. I think you'll be in for some patient slow proces of ilimination my friend. :wink:  (you might want to get some oxygen to help the breathing during this process  :lol: )

The rear brakes wedge is a case of taking the wheel off, and with a thin pointy screwdriver flicking a wedge upwards to release the shoes, then pump the brake a few times which wil lreseat the wedge and brakes in the drum. you'll need a torch to see the wedge shaped adjuster. :wink:

Oh, and anothe ruseful Tool for you - a haynes manual is invaluable for the MK1 and well worth the money imo  :wink: wil lhelp with lots of these things your doing at the mo'

Turbo Technics MK1 Golf GTI's - where are you ?

http://www.VWTurbo.co.uk

Back to the top
cheers! Got the breathing under control now! Gonna have to have to dedicate saturday to workin on her, when all im gonna want to do is burn it! Hopefully the progress wont be that slow, it all started going tits up over 2 months ago, hence why im massively losing patience dammit!

*reaches for oxygen again*

:banghead:  :tlc:  :banghead:  :tlc:  :banghead:

Back to the top
well, had a poke around on saturday, to no avail, so now going to take it for a rolling road session tomorrow, as she sounds like a sack of ….. or, quite similar to a lawnmower crossed with a subaru impreza, and goes terribly.

:(

Back to the top
grrr…

had it rolling roaded, which was a waste of time and money, he said it is running on 2 or 3 cylinders , which explains why it sounds rubbish, and goes worse, to replace the fuel filter (did it, changed nothing) and the warm up regulator (have tried 3 now so reckon maybe it isnt that), i also changed the spark plugs and its still no different.

running out of ideas and money, and if she isnt fixed soon im gonna have to get rid  :(  :tlc:

Back to the top
Alex - i'd be looking at injectors - Do prowlers injector test - easy to do and will tell you which injectors are bad

I put new ones in my white cab and they made one hell of a difference - did all four at ?26 +vat each from VW - call me and I'll tell you how to get the low price - usually ?40 odd each

Alternatively I'll have some used ones here I expect that you could try.

Cheers

Rich

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
cool, gonna try rustle up those bits to do the test….

Does it sound like the injectors are the problem then?

Back to the top
have you tried the leads and coil yet?

Back to the top

junglist said

grrr…

had it rolling roaded, which was a waste of time and money, he said it is running on 2 or 3 cylinders , which explains why it sounds rubbish, and goes worse, to replace the fuel filter (did it, changed nothing) and the warm up regulator (have tried 3 now so reckon maybe it isnt that), i also changed the spark plugs and its still no different.

running out of ideas and money, and if she isnt fixed soon im gonna have to get rid  :(  :tlc:
Mate - the rolling road operator sounds like a right plonker !! He shoudl have been able to diagnose the problem for you whilst it was on the rollers. Shoudl have been able to work out what it was doing with the two cylinders that were doing naff all imo. Thats the idea of a rolling road system, tune-up and diagnosis as it simulates road driving. :banghead:

Turbo Technics MK1 Golf GTI's - where are you ?

http://www.VWTurbo.co.uk

Back to the top
yeah, thats what i thought too, thats why i went there, was 55 miles away too, and i took a sacred day off work to do it, more than a little hacked off!

Back to the top
I finally got round to doing prowler's injector test yesterday (nice when I've got a week off!) and all the injector's I have are rubbish

Idle doesn't stay put and now I'm using the 'best' out of the lot, I've lost a fair bit of performance too  :cry: roughly they were spraying around 70ml max over 30 sec. should be 100ml if I'm correct?

really easy to do once you've got the injectors out and for a few hours work at least you'll know the injector's are ok (or not, whichever the case may be)

would still try another coil and/or HT leads

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
*Update!*

Right, had another fiddle last night and found an air leak here:

Im getting me one this evening, and am being very kindly lent a coil (thanks CrazyQuiff!), an i've also got some new leads to go on! Gonna get all the bits together to run the injector test on friday or saturday, so hopefully might start getting places?! (But very much doubting it!)

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.