Skip navigation

Safe to weld (near fuel tank)

Back to the top

Safe to weld (near fuel tank)

markwon said

By the way, how do you plan to put the M10 thread for the seat belt mounting in

Ah yes - do that bit before you weld the repair panel into place - just like I didn't do :lol: . The original thread appears to be machined into a small panel which is welded into the inner wing - the panel helps spread the strain put on the fixing by the seatbelt. I'm going to make my own one up using metal and and a M10 nut, drill a hole in the inner wing for the bolt to pass thorugh then weld the panel into place. Tight space to weld in, but is possible.

Do you know if the seat belt mounting stuff is included in the repair panel for that area? I have the panel on order…

Back to the top
Not sure - I made my own panel up for this area. Who have you ordered the part from?

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top

markwon said

Not sure - I made my own panel up for this area. Who have you ordered the part from?

Its a local car parts shop, they do Hadrian panels.

Back to the top
I've been well busy today, cracking on with this element of the restoration. I had no choice but to cut the brake lines, since they weren't coming undone. Also, one of the springs was found to be broken at the rear, and the strut was a right pain to undo! So it looks like I'll be needing a number of suspension bits, once it all goes back together… Here are some pics:

More or less, still in one piece:

Broken spring (left hand side):

After unbolting carefully, the rear suspension is off:

After a bit of a struggle and a lot of wiggling, the fuel tank is off too:

Back to the top
Well done paul for going for the safe route, even though it does look like a right job to do 8O

Golf GTI Cabriolet 1990 Helios Blue - gone

Audi A4 1.9TDI - Gone :(

Golf GTTDI MK5 140…..oooh quick….but not a MK1  ;)

Back to the top
:clap: well done! didn't really want to do this to mine, as I know once the axle and tank is off I'll end up doing far more than what I originally intended  :lol:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
I know how you feel, I've got a list of stuff to do, but luckily I have plenty of time. The underside doesn't look too bad and the chassis legs are fine (phew!) There is an existing repair to the end of the sill but it seems to have held out so far, unlike the inner wing repairs.

Back to the top
you going to give the tank a lick of paint while it's off though?  :wink:

Back to the top
Yeah, a good clean out, clean up the suspension and wire brush then paint the underside in stonechip. I have a dilemma tho....I broke a spring, so I need to replace both rear dampers and springs.....I am wondering whether to go for coilovers now.....

Back to the top
I'm having a "which suspension debate" at the moment Paul and i keep wavering between uprated fix lowered or coilovers. But i don't want to mess with quality of the ride to much. ie I like it now just want to tweek it not ruin it……I did drive one car when i was looking which had coilovers and it was rock hard and speed humps where a nightmare, i wouldn't want that on my daily driver….but it could have been a cheep set of coilovers…..see I'm still not sure  :?

Golf GTI Cabriolet 1990 Helios Blue - gone

Audi A4 1.9TDI - Gone :(

Golf GTTDI MK5 140…..oooh quick….but not a MK1  ;)

Back to the top
I went for a slightly lowered suspension kit… and like every one I've owned, even with the stripped out back, I find the back starts to sink and the front starts to raise

needless to say I'll be getting some coilovers for it at some point  :wink:

Back to the top
Hey there mate. I am a time served panel beater and work for the biggest accident repair centres in europe. We weld boot floors into cars with petrol tanks in place all the time. Aslong as there are no petrol leaks you should be ok to weld with the petrol tank in place. If you had someone to watch over you you should be ok.

CHEERS

Back to the top
Well, its out now and I'm glad I did in the end because I'm going to refurbish the rear suspension too. One of the areas to weld was directly above the fuel tank (about 1" or so) and having it out means I can get to both sides of it. And also repaint the underside of the car and other bits & bobs. Its going to be off the road for a little while, though.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.