Skip navigation

17 yrs old with a mk 1 gti??

Back to the top

17 yrs old with a mk 1 gti??

would the insureance be high for a 17 yr old with a mk1 gti campaign ( its also my first car)

Back to the top
Are you kidding  :lol: I canthink of other words better than "high" to describe what the costs would be. :wink:

Turbo Technics MK1 Golf GTI's - where are you ?

http://www.VWTurbo.co.uk

Back to the top
put it this way im 18 and im currantly gettin quotes around ?1700 on a 1.1 STANDERD

see where im coming from with this ??  :lol:

1983 mk1 1.1 in black

lowerd 120mm on supersport coilovers

13" rims (make/model?)

crystal lights all round

Back to the top
There a thread with one guy paying 3000 pounds for a modified GTI and he was 20 with experience. I personally wouldn't pay more insurance than the car is worth, But i know how difficult it is theese day for younger drivers.

I would get a quote for 1.1 driver, looks like a GTI but not the same on insurance. Get a few years no claims and you may be able to get insurance for  GTI and learn loads in the meantime.

You'll also get a very tidy Driver for less than an average GTI so you'll have more money to insure it.

I sold a 1.1 fiesta to a 17 year old for 300 pounds and he was paying 65 a month for insurance.:banghead:

Rob   :D

Golf GTI Cabriolet 1990 Helios Blue - gone

Audi A4 1.9TDI - Gone :(

Golf GTTDI MK5 140…..oooh quick….but not a MK1  ;)

Back to the top
One of my mates got a quote for well over a grand for a MK1 GTI and he's 23 but got no no-claims bonus. It might be worth getting an online quote from Elephant as they are a lot cheaper than most (until you can get a classic policy). Normal insurance companies seem to put a higher premium on older cars too - my MK1 is going to be a lot more expensive to insure than my MK2 even though they are both GTI's.

MK1 GTI Campaign
MK2 GTI 8v
Imitation Magic Tree - 'Black Ice' smell
Plenty of rust
Embarrasing fuel problem
Porous cooling system!

Back to the top
don't know if this helps any of the younger drivers out there but i'm 21 with 1yncb and my insurance is ?300 fully comp with Carole Nash

Back to the top

me said

don't know if this helps any of the younger drivers out there but i'm 21 with 1yncb and my insurance is ?300 fully comp with Carole Nash

Only ?300 at 21!!! 8O  Do you live on a discrete island by yourself where there is no one else to steal or crash in to your car?? :lol:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
That does seem rather cheep to me?
Its true about older cars on a normal insurance policy. It would have been cheeper to insure a new impreza wrx sti rather than my 93 wrx Type RA  :dontknow: Only thing was I just couldn't afford to get a new one  :(

Back to the top
Try Footman James.  By sticking it on a classic car policy you'll save shed loads!  Downside is ya limited to just 3000 miles per year!  Ok, im an old git (31), but my mk1 GTI only costs 170 per year n the excess is just 50 quid.

1991 MK2 Golf G60 20VT

1991 MK2 Golf GTI 16V Oak Green

www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk

Back to the top
The tip here is shop around. Get as many quotes as you can, different companies work out cheaper for different people in different circumstances living in different places, driving different cars!!

I managed to get my renewal down from ?800 to about ?480 on my mk1 cabriolet simply by shopping around and getting companies to beat each others quotes.  cheap insurance can be found, just takes a bit of time!!

Also get organised, make a small spreadsheet or something to record the quotes and reference numbers etc. on, you'll soon forget what they were as you get more and more quotes.

Mike.

P.S I would think you extreemly lucky if you found a quote under ?2000 for a mk1 golf GTi at 17!!

1983 White cabriolet GTi

Back to the top
seriously it's worth shopping around as others say. I got my first gti when i was 18 my insurance was ?850. so it is possible to get a not too bad price when your young

Back to the top

kriss said

Try Footman James.  By sticking it on a classic car policy you'll save shed loads!  Downside is ya limited to just 3000 miles per year!  Ok, im an old git (31), but my mk1 GTI only costs 170 per year n the excess is just 50 quid.

I think they'll do other mileage breaks for you too?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yep they do  :D

1991 MK2 Golf G60 20VT

1991 MK2 Golf GTI 16V Oak Green

www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk

Back to the top
Elephant seemed to be the cheapest for me. I'm 20 and most people arn't interested in insuring me cause i have 10 points…don't ask…! :(  But elephant insures me for 800 third party fire and theft. which i feel is good considerin it costs me 700 for a rover 100 metro 1.1!!! Gti or the slag metro??

Back to the top

golf v ninja

i dont really know how insurance works. im 27 and pay ?360 a year fire and theft for my ?300 1.1 golf 1982 with 4 years no claims and clean licence but only ?270 on my 97 zx6r ninja motorbike what'll do 160mph. can any one tell me where the "risk factor" comes into this!

Back to the top
Who knows!!

I can insure my 1995 Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0 16V for less than my 1988 Golf 1.8 GL. Crazy!!

Mike.

1983 White cabriolet GTi

Back to the top
Same situation bud, dont bother iv tried. one or two would but it was over ?5000. im 17 and pay ?1400 on a mk1 1.3 driver. so go for a smaller engine. oh, and u cant get classic insurance at our age.

Greg :)

1981 Golf C 1.1
1982 Golf GTI
1992 Corrado G60
1999 Golf GT TDI

Back to the top
high isnot the word, pull your pants down and bend over more like, i advise lubrication!
im paying for a mk1 golf 1983 1.1 no mods declared  :roll:  ?2250 fully comp, and if you can work it out ?? i was confused with this  :?  :? fire and theft, was just under 3k,

thats with cat1 alarm, pass plus, 2 acidents and 3points :banghead:  
garaged

i hate insurences, and theywonder why people drive around with no insurence most of the time, i cant see why that is tbh

i always have the last laugh ;)

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/sim0n_parker/paulforwebsite.jpg

<a href="

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

Back to the top
that is very high  8O . i am 21 bin drivin 2 years had 1 theft claim for stolen ice . and now got 1 year no claims . i had a williams 2 clio that cost me 416 quid 3rd party fire and theft and i insure my mk3 astra turbo with everything declared for 735 quid . i got a quote for the golf 1.6 gti only to do 3000 miles kept in garage etc and it was over 800 quid . RIP OFF .

Back to the top
i am sure i have posted this somewhere before but ill say it again anyway.

I am being quoted ?1163 third party fire and theft on my own policy on an '83 gti. It is garaged in Edinburgh and I have my mum and dad both on the policy to make it cheaper

Oh, did I mention i was 18 years old only.  :D

It is with admiral if this helps.

Andrew

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.