Skip navigation

Using a Mk1 GTi as daily driver?

Back to the top

Using a Mk1 GTi as daily driver?

Had one back in the '80's and was my only form of transport. No problems whatso ever! :lol: I luved it!

How about now? Have cars moved on so much that I wonder if a Mk1 would now be a bad choice……………….problem is ………………….I want one again and currently use a MK2 GTi. Are the MK1's so different from Mk2's cos I can't remember!! I will only be doing about 20miles a day and it will live outside. Is it going to rust away in front of me.

or

Are they too much trouble and with some parts becoming harder to find more of a car for sunny days? I beleive that cars should be used often otherwise they deteriorate quickly………..so that is what I will do!………but I'm not sure :?

Opinions apprieciated!!

Jules

Back to the top
Start with a goodun with no major faults - Use it everyday - keep it serviced and it run for a good while.

I've used MK1's for daily drives and you are always smiling  :D

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
That's what I want to hear! :o Are all your cars in you 'signature' runners or are some 'work in progress'?

Anyone else……………………………whats the MK1 like compared to a MK2?
Are they that much different?

Jules

Back to the top
MK2's are larger and will resist rusting more than the mk1 and are the safer bet as you can get parts from alot of mk2's for cheap and they're much cheaper to pick up a quality one than any mk1.

If you've got the cash for a mk1 go for it though, they'll handle much better than a mk2 and be abit more fuel efficient being much lighter.

I got my mk2 driver for only ?155.01 off ebay and it's in absolutely mint condition, seems any mk2 that isn't a GTI is going for cheap. I've never had any problems with my car, never owned a mk1 though!

Owner of a Golf Driver 1.6 G Reg running
twin choke weber carb 32/34. More to come!

Back to the top
I use my cabriolet as a daily driver, thinking about a cheap mk2 for the winter though.

1983 White cabriolet GTi

Back to the top
I went from a Mk 2 GTi to a Mk 1 GTi cabriolet this year, and I drive it daily. I'm a bit worried about the harsh winters we have here because it lives outside, but I'm already preparing by booking a winter service for November and using decent roof conditioner after every time I wash the car. As long as you keep the bodywork clean and waxed, make sure the underneath gets as much attention as the top, and examine meticulously for any early signs of rust you should be OK. In terms of the differences between the 2, I've not really noticed much, except for the obvious - the Mk 1 acceleration isn't quite as fierce, and the fuel economy is slightly better. My Mk 1 is lowered and has low profiles, so the ride is bumpier, but cornering and general handling is superb. Both great cars. :)

Back to the top

Maniac said

I use my cabriolet as a daily driver, thinking about a cheap mk2 for the winter though.

Is that because you are trying to preserve the Mk1 from the British winter?

Back to the top
Paprika………………….

I hear what you are saying. I like my Mk2 alot but its not the original 'GTi and the MK1 has got the better looks. Maybe I should keep two GTi's  :lol: but then it all get a bit expensive! :(

Cheers

Jules

Back to the top
i use my mk1 GTI as a daily drive, i do 22 miles each way, its damned good fun however, being a poor student on a work placement, im finding its petrol addiction a financial worry……not the same mpg as me old 306 1.4!

Ive only had it two weeks now, so couldnt comment on the reliability though, althou im sure it will be fine!

Back to the top
As long as you keep on top of it and resist the urge to "Boot" it every time you go out, then it should fair as well as most other cars.

I used mine as a daily drive when I was in College and apart form the odd morning where it refused to start, it was great!
Wish I could afford to use it every day now too, though it's thirst for fuel vs the wifes Peugeot which will go to the moon and back on a couple of vapours means it is kept for the odd blast when the weather is nice.
In fact, it will probably come back to work with me lunchtime!  :D

Back to the top
Use mine as a daily driver too! it has a personality though because as soon as I get more than 50 miles away from home it breaks down… must get scared being so far away!

going to work and back, no problems yet! *touch wood*

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Read my signature. It's in the car park next to the Audi A2s and the blah blah blahs…

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top
I don't notice the high fuel consumption too much, but that's because my other vehicle's a Type 2 campervan :D

Back to the top
i thrive on the daily drive :lol:

1982 Non Sunroof Black 1600 GTI

2003 MKIV Golf PD150 GT TDI

Back to the top
Mine is my only car now and currently off the road with a variety of jobs that need doing. Before that though it was a daily driver for a year with no major problems.

I would say though that you do need to be prepared for some initial expense maybe overhauling things like the electrics (HT leads, coil, battery) if there is no evidence they have been done recently. These are the most likely things to let you down, especially in the winter.

Aside from that though I think as others have said the best advice is to pay a bit more for a good 'un in the first place and you should be fine.

It doesn't have most of the things people regard as "essential" now in modern cars, but if you are coming from a Mk2 driver I don't think you'll miss much to be honest. Probably only PAS if your driver has that.

Its a great car to drive and really stands out on the roads. Also if you look after it, it will probably be worth close what you paid for it even after a few years.

Chris

ex '83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign owner and missing it already!

Back to the top
In over a month of ownership, I haven't get gotten mine up to a good enough standard to use it as a daily driver. The current issues are:

Leaky/rattling exhaust (replaced by myself - but a parts vendor supplied the wrong fitting kit, so its missing a vital gasket. They don't supply the correct gasket!)
Too high idle - does anyone sell the idle adjustment screw??
A series of smaller but annoying issues, such as rubbish stereo, hard to get into 1st gear, no driver's door check strap (do you know how annoying that is??!!!!) etc etc

In summary, its less reliable than a modern car and when it does need parts, they are harder (but still not too hard) to obtain. Just like any other classic, really.

I am lucky to own >1 car - this way I can take one off the road and do the jobs properly on it. The only trouble is, all 3 need something or other doing….

Back to the top
I guess as a Mk1 fan I tend to overlook the small stuff  :wink: , but to be honest there are not too many essential parts that you can't get, or find suitable VAG substitutes for.

Your main areas of patchy parts availability is more likely to be cosmetic / trim / bodypanel items. Thats why its important to choose a car that is sound in these departments. Patch panels and main panel availability is actually pretty good for a 20+ year old car, but some panels are very hard to find.

I think a lot depends on what sort of condition you are happy to have your daily driver in. If you don't mind some of the interior or trim looking a bit "worn" round the edges, and maybe some cosmetic rust spots you won't have any problems. However if you are looking for a near concours car then you will either pay a lot more or have to be prepared to do a lot of legwork and hope you get lucky.

The great thing about the cars is that mechanically they are very simple, even the fuel injection system is completely mechanical. This is a real blessing as it means no pricy components like ECU's and other electronics to go wrong.

The classic of the future is likely to have one fatal flaw and thats the reliance on a central ECU for controlling fuelling. Once these cars have been out of ptoduction for a while I'll bet it will be hard / v. pricey to get fixes / replacements for duff ECU's.

The other great thing is that almost any garage will be able to fix and service your golf - no special tools required really. Of course to truly "bond" with your Mk1 you should really be doing this stuff yourself

:wink:

Chris

ex '83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign owner and missing it already!

Back to the top
Fantastic 'words of wisdom'! :lol:

Too be honest I didn't expect anyone to have much of a 'downer' on Mk1's in this forum but it is nice to have some down to earth, honest opinions! It confims a lot of what I have read on the forums and it would seem that get an 'honest' car and look after it are the watch words.

ChrisB…………………….I agree with what you say………………I like the relative simplicity of the Mk1 and my only real worry is/was getting the parts for repair,etc………………………but,having said that you guys all manage without too much trouble…………..so I think I had better spend some money and buy one! :lol:

Thanks for your help! I will, without doubt, 'be back'!

Jules

Back to the top
Daily driver…damn straight :D

Hasnt let me down yet!

Can't afford to have, insure and maintain 2 cars though!

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
Paprika……

Join me in the Hard Core Cabby Club!!!  :lol:

Just turn the stereo off and listen to the car make its own music with all the rattles and squeeks!!

Dan
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.