Skip navigation

mk1 golf GTi electrical problems lights mainly!!

Back to the top

mk1 golf GTi electrical problems lights mainly!!

Alex,

Your problem is either most likely:

Switch
Fuse
Big power resistor that sits in the motor (part of the motor loom)
or motor seized

Either way I've got all those bits to fix it

Cheers

Rich

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
well it passed its MOT this morning!!! i knew it would but i thought the garage might try and screw me over for another test and not give me a free re-test, MOT's have gone well dodgy now its all done on computers, im guessing its gonna be like taxing a car now, ie they'll send a letter saying you MOT is due!!!
 ive also found that i have the D/S door check strap and the pin, it was just shoved back into its recess in the door, and i couldnt see it due to the plastic cover thing!! so ive got that all greased up and fitted, so the door dont swing back and hit me eveythime i get in to me car slowly! (dam drive on a hill!!!)
as far as the blower goes, i took a look under the black plastic scuttle pannel, and removed the cage around the motor, the fan moves freely, so im guessing it aint seized, there is a big resistor thing on the front of it tho, dunno how to test to see if thats working, all the wireing looks fine, good tight conections etc,
deffinalty not a fuse tho, so its gonna be that resistor or the swich so if you have any tips let me know!
cheers
alex.

Back to the top
You should be able to bypass the switch and get one of the three speeds - That'll prove the switch or not - I've plenty of switches  :D

Back to the top
how do i bypass the swich, just touch two of the electrical terminals togeather? the ones behind the swich???

did you get my locks mate???
let me know
cheers
alex

P.S whats with the times shown on this fourm???

Back to the top
Alex,

Yes locks here this AM - I'll get that hatch surround off to you and your exchange rebate on the locks.

There are four wires on the back of the switch?

One should be the live feed and three others feed to the motor for the three speeds.  I'd verify this with a meter.

You could just check the switch this way also with a meter.

Cheers

Rich

Back to the top
nice one about the boot lock surround,

ive had the swich off, and it has a black round plug with 4 blade terminals ive put some blade connetors down all 4, and one by one i conneted a wire between em, nothing happend, that was with the car on 3rd click on the ignition, so it should have done somthing, but it didnt,

all fuses are fine,

so do you recon its that resistor thingyer me bob?

how much would you want for a working one???

ill be needing some of the bits i taked on the phone to you about soon anyway, im gonna get me a job fisrt tho!!!

cheers
alex.

Back to the top
Alex,

Could be the motor brushes or the resistor but usually if the resistor fails it is on one speed only.

Gimme a shout when you need stuff 01491 202054

Cheers

Rich

There are too many online users to list.