Skip navigation

Fuel prices

Back to the top

Fuel prices

Just hit 99.9p litre down here and it seems similar across the country. Our petrol stations here can't cope with more than 3 digits to display the price, but I guess they'll find a way.

These prices are getting ridiculous. It just went past ?50 to fill up my Audi. When I bought it 3 years ago it only cost ?35 for tank of fuel.

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
I know how you feel! 99.9p when I filled up yesterday  :banghead:

Makes me sick thinking I get about 130-150 miles on ?20

and how much is fuel in USA! something crazy like 30p a litre??  :dontknow:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Filled up with optimax saturday evening at it was 99.9 then, just have to make it last as long as possible and keep trips to a minimum for a while  :x

Back to the top
I'm clearly in a lucky area for the monent. Filled up the A4 with Deisal yesterday and it was at 94.9 per litre. Still stung though at just under ?60 t0 fill her up. Makes me mad as hell that its started shotting upwards again.

Location by the way is Yeovil, somerset. Morrisons Petrol Station.
Perhaps we should start a list of stations and prices for a laugh. But base don what you guys have siad  Ithink I might win this one  :lol:  :wink:

Turbo Technics MK1 Golf GTI's - where are you ?

http://www.VWTurbo.co.uk

Back to the top
Optimax 99.9 on Saturday near Barnsley. Average MPG worked out at 36.something on mainly cross country runs. :D

I knew there was a reason I use the Caddy alot, 55mpg on similar journeys. :lol:

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
The difference between diesel and petrol is interesting now…

Taking petrol at 94.9p and diesel at 99.9p per litre…
1 Gallon equal 4.54 litres…
Average economy of a diesel 55mpg (from my Audi TDI)
Average economy of a petrol 35mpg (my father-in-laws toyota avensis)

For my average year we're both doing about 20k miles

I'm using about 360 gallons a year @ a total cost of ?1649
He's using about 580 gallons a year @ a total cost of ?2462

I guess the difference in running costs now  is about ?400/year for every 10k miles you do.

Cheers,

Drew.

Back to the top
how much (percent wise) do the goverment get out of a quids worth of petrol? 60ish %?
only in england are we stupid enough to put up with it tho :banghead: me being as bad as the rest, any other country there would be uproar.  we need a plan ladies 8)

Back to the top
london is not doing too bad. in harrow im paying 93p. but its ridiculous. something needs to be done. everyone in the country who drives should protest. the driving community in this country is larger than any other, so the governemnt would have no choice but to listen... eventually?

Back to the top
Yea going back to when I started to drive, Diesel was actually cheaper than petrol so you had a double whammy benefit. Now the chancellor is actively dis-encouraging Diesel to keep revenues up (in Drews example he would instantly loose ?Billions if all the petrol cars turned into Diesel overnight) it?s the other way round.

My understanding is that Diesel is more efficient than petrol and petrol is more efficient the LPG (not necessarily cleaner, but that?s an all different debate), so what do we do in this country? Tax Diesel most and LPG least, Doh!

Back years ago you needed the savings to justify the extra cost and loss of performance/refinement from picking a Diesel over a petrol equivalent. Now I?d say most Diesel versions are better than their petrol counterparts and indeed some are cheaper to buy (some BMWs and Mercs?)

In the real world of heavy traffic where in gear 30-50 and 50-70mph times are more relevant than 0-60 and you pay for your own fuel, Diesel must be the way to go. :dontknow:

I think the govs take is more like 80%. I wouldn?t mind if the ? went on roads or transport systems but most doesn?t. The roads round me are starting to look like farm tracks and the M1 doesn?t even have any lighting on the bit I use. Rant over.
 :banghead:

Back to the top
Guys,

Have some data on cost but it is a bit out of date…

This is for petrol with a final pump price of @ 81ppl

Base price   -   18.00p
Distribution  -     5.00p
Duty            -   45.82p
VAT             -   12.04p
Pump Price   -   80.86p

Similar position for diesel.

The situation of increased prices is due to the massive increase in oil price which is now nearer 30p per litre (which then puts pump price nearer 95p)

Interesting to note that the Government charges Excise duty and then puts VAT on top of that!

My understanding is that petrol is now cheaper due to everyone buying diesel cars now that they aren't dirty noisy tanks and so there is a surplus of petrol compared with diesel. Thus petrol is a couple of pence cheaper per litre.

so, the plan is either:

1. Solve the oil supply problems in the middle east  :banghead:

or

2. lobby the government to reduce one of it's major income sources  :banghead:

Not sure either is very easy!!

No price will stop me driving the Golf (when I eventually get it back on the road!!)

Andy

Back to the top
does the duty' go to the government as well then? if so they are getting way to much out of us. i suppose everyone seen that email thing doing the rounds boycotting certain petrol stations etc

Back to the top
just filled up at sainsburys 90.9p :P

1272 driver with a magic tree!!

Back to the top

early 1800 said

think the govs take is more like 80%. I wouldn?t mind if the ? went on roads or transport systems but most doesn?t. The roads round me are starting to look like farm tracks and the M1 doesn?t even have any lighting on the bit I use.

tomo320 said

does the duty' go to the government as well then? if so they are getting way to much out of us.

Tony's spent it all on war…  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Grrrrrr resisting the urge to crap on about politics….

No I can't resist. Next time there's a general election I'm going to have to discourage people voting that guy in again  :lol:

Back to the top

mcscrew said

No I can't resist. Next time there's a general election I'm going to have to discourage people voting that guy in again  :lol:

I don't vote.. they're all money grabbing *blank* that are only in it for themselves!

isn't it something like 90% of all U.K's roads are well overdue resurfacing (should be every 10 years IIRC)… so why do we pay tax!! to line they're greedy pockets that's why!

I still can't get over the fact we get taxed on our wage.. then pay tax on EVERY teeny tiny purchase

and breathe….now relax!

Back to the top
The fuel duty is even worse.

There is the price of fuel + VAT (which is ok I guess), but then the TOTAL (no pun intended) of the fuel +VAT is taxed as well. Tax on a Tax!

Cheers,

Drew.

Back to the top
:cry: it just gets worse and worse

Back to the top
I don't vote..

Like the advert, you don't vote then you can hardly moan really…
That's not meant harshly, I do sometimes get called harsh pete! but just as something to think about.
I vote so I'll moan on your behalf, stupid goverment x 2

Solve the oil supply problems in the middle east

Ha ha, ha ha, ha, ha ha, ha, ha ha…

Phew, Andy, I like the cut of your jib.

Shall we start a Political wing of the club?

Sorry to branch slightly but do you know what I like, I like it when people start going on about electrical cars as the saviour of the planet, oh right, so where does electricity come from? plug in the corner of the room makes it, nope, power stations, nuclear, gas or oil. Not that great after all heh.

Anyone got a solar golf? Or one powered on discarded chewing gum, shellsuits, Artex, Chart CD singles, McDonald wrappers, tetra paks, or other random rubbish our society produces.

Oh yeah and you know what, teenagers should be banned from buying music. Stupid charts.

Older, Grumpier.

Victor.

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top
If you work it out i bet it's well over half your wages that end up back in the governments pocket.

You've got income tax taking a large chunk to start with
Then VAT on virtually everything you buy,
Then duty on petrol, beer and fags (if you buy them)
Then Road tax, council tax and the like,

There's probably a few I've forgotten as well.

I'll have to to sit down sometime and actually work out the % based on an average month for me, I bet it's over 50%, makes me sick just thinking about it!!

1983 White cabriolet GTi

Back to the top

tallpete said

Anyone got a solar golf? Or one powered on discarded chewing gum, shellsuits,.

A car run on shellsuits  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :clap:

Should the newly-about-to-be-formed political wing (Drew for President) lobby Tony to invest in shell suit powered cars???

Back to the top
yep the gov take nationally is somethingh like 47% Gross Domestic Product (don't ask its 20 years ago since I did A-level Economics) :cry:

Just stop smoking, drinking and walk everywhere and you'll be fine

My soon to be married girlfriend works for a big supermarket chain and their reseach is showing that families are spending more on petrol than feeding their families….. :banghead:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.