Skip navigation

Young enthusiasts

Back to the top

Young enthusiasts

deako-your mk-2 is first class for me!!!!!!   :y:

this is mine

Remember, VW made the last car in 1992. After that they started making vehicles.

Back to the top
No doubt on some Jaguar forum, there is a raging debate going on about whether you should make subtle mods to an E-type, or leave it exactly as standard. Its part of car culture.

My take on it is that there will always be a thriving scene of modifying cars, sometimes subtle and sometimes outrageous. Modifying a car is easy. Making it tasteful and appreciated, over and above the manufacturer's original, is way harder. But the real skill is in restoring a car to concours condition, you know, the tiny small details which make the difference between "tidy" and exactly how it left the factory; like a time travel feeling when you look at it.

I think if we were to take a poll on it, most people would agree that VW got it right with the Golf, while other makers such as Vauxhall, are still struggling to design and screw together a decent car!

Back to the top
I think if we were to take a poll on it, most people would agree that VW got it right with the Golf, while other makers such as Vauxhall, are still struggling to design and screw together a decent car!

I would have agreed with your comment in the 80s and early 90s, but Vauxhall's quality is now just as good as VWs. I suggest you get behind the wheel of the new Astra and Golf and decide on quality and value for yourself.

Yes I do work for GM, but keep an eye on the JD Power surveys and you will see Vauxhall are only just behind VW who have been dropping in the charts for a few years now.

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
mk1_g40, I say go with what you like!! I'm not a fan of the 'modded' look, however I have respect for the scene and what it's about. I like the way people have an idea about the way they want their car to look…. save up and then most many carry out the mod's themselves. It's got a lot of youngsters into cars and I think that's a good thing.

29 and using the word Youngsters :?

85 Polo squareback
MK1 MX5

Back to the top

dubboy said

I would have agreed with your comment in the 80s and early 90s, but Vauxhall's quality is now just as good as VWs. I suggest you get behind the wheel of the new Astra and Golf and decide on quality and value for yourself.

Yes I do work for GM, but keep an eye on the JD Power surveys and you will see Vauxhall are only just behind VW who have been dropping in the charts for a few years now.

Cheers
Rajan

Oops! Put my foot in it a bit there!!! Sorry, no offence to Vauxhall meant. I am basing my comments on the type of car I can afford, which is ?3-4000 mark maximum probably. I see you live in Beds, a big Vauxhall community. I too live in a similar area (near the Ellesmere Port plant) and there are hundreds of them in the neighbourhood.

Looking to the past, I've tended to always have VWs of some type or another. Then more recently, Mercedes (a couple of old ones). I've never had a new car but my parents have had new cars, including Peugeot, Citroen, Vauxhall, VW, Fiat. (In fact, it was a string of 3x Mk1 Golfs which captured my interest in these cars, but that's a different story). To be honest, I find all new cars a bit dull, but maybe this is just me trying to convince myself I am better off with cheap, old ones?

Back to the top

paul_c said

but maybe this is just me trying to convince myself I am better off with cheap, old ones?

Nope, I had a 2000 F*rd Fiesta Zetec-S.. and yeah it was a nice drive, pulled well, light steering and great brakes! I just didn't get that grin I do with the Mk1.. every gear feels like 2nd and even though it's not worth half the price of my F*rd (now my girlfriends!).. I wouldn't change it for any new car out there! even when every month something else goes wrong  :lol:

Your better off with a Mk1  :wink:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top

PhillTMK1GTI said

every month something else goes wrong

Errrr - every week  :wink:

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top

crazyquiff said

Errrr - every week  :wink:

shhhhh.. it'll hear you!  :lol:

half the fun of driving it is calling the AA out at least 60 miles from home, can't understand why things don't go wrong on a 3 mile journey  :lol:

Back to the top
Since this post already is a bit off-topic I?ll make my contribution as well :D.

Why is it called Vauhall in the U.K when its called Opel basically everywhere else??

/Mike

-84 GTI Mars red (campaign)

-94 Audi S2 RS Avant

-98 VW Passat Variant TDI

Back to the top
They were originally 2 separate companies, Vauxhall and Opel. When GM took them over and GM Europe was formed it made sense to have common products but keep the well known brand identity.

Banner

Back to the top
ahhhh! makes sense… did confuse  me when i saw an opel corsa in Holland that was a Vauxhall Nova here  :?

Back to the top

dubboy said

They were originally 2 separate companies, Vauxhall and Opel. When GM took them over and GM Europe was formed it made sense to have common products but keep the well known brand identity.

Okey, but for us Swedes (included in Europe I believe ;)) the Vauxhall disapeared and left was only the Opel.

I had strange theories that perhaps the word "Opel" was offensive :) Like one jap model called Hondas Fitta, which in Sweden would be translated to "Honda C*nt"   8O  :lol:

Cheers

/Mike

-84 GTI Mars red (campaign)

-94 Audi S2 RS Avant

-98 VW Passat Variant TDI

Back to the top
I think its more to do with the name/brand "Vauxhall" already having a good reputation in the UK. So, it would have been an unwise marketing move to change to Opel just for the sake of it. They changed the Nova to the Corsa, because in some markets (French speaking) Nova translates to "doesn't go". The "Vauxhall doesn't go GSi", for example.

Back to the top
They changed the Nova to the Corsa, because in some markets (French speaking) Nova translates to "doesn't go". The "Vauxhall doesn't go GSi", for example.

No, we simply commonised all model names across Europe. The same with Astra/Kadett and Cavalier/Vectra.

Cheers
Rajan

Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.